Mahindra diesel pickup - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #141

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
George what are the oil changes like? Qts? $?

Honda's used to have belts that required changing. No Longer required.
4.8 Qts of VW 505.1 spec. I use LiquiMoly oil which costs about $35/5l. Oil filter is about $10. I change the oil by myself via dipstick tube extraction.
The oil filter is under the hood.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #142

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dipstick tube extraction??? How does that work?

Something to learn every day.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #143

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:

You stick a vacuum tube down the dipstick tube and the machine sucks the oil out. Some new Euro-machines ONLY have this method, with no drain plug in the oil pan. Seems to me that the newest Porches and Audis can only be vacuumed out, but not 100% certain - may be just some models, or I may have it completely wrong
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #144

Quote:

I use this product http://www.mityvac.com/info_sheets/MV7201_info.pdf lately, before than I had a smaller unit. Pela makes them to
I think I have seen on in Costco on line. Oil extraction is used on power boats; often this is the only way to change oil. I use this method for many years.
George.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #145

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Holy Crap!

My Sprinter doesn't seem so bad now that I know all of this.

It takes 10 quarts of an odd Mobil 1 and has an multi-part filter that you replace the element in but at least there is a drain plug and I don't need a jack!

So far I have been very lucky and have had nothing go wrong for me on the Sprinter since I have owned it.
I also baby it really and loaded for work I still get around 25mpg around town.

I am dying to get it more towing duty but with some reservations.
It isn't broke now and I don't want to get it that way.

Pumping the oil out ?,man!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #146

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
George R,

Thank you for being so giving of diesel info. One more question. Is your VW the 2L Turbo diesel? It seems that VW is selling the 2.5L and 2L in the USA.

Any experience with the Turbo?

Thank you

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #147

Quote:
George R,

Thank you for being so giving of diesel info. One more question. Is your VW the 2L Turbo diesel? It seems that VW is selling the 2.5L and 2L in the USA.

Any experience with the Turbo?

Thank you
I have 2006 1.9 TDI, newer TDIs are 2l. 2.5l is gas engine. Had no problem with turbo.

George.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #148

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If a diesel could get <20mpg towing, I could save $3000/year on fuel. I tow 25K miles/year between work and play (mostly work).

I've always thought highly of diesels (my dad owned several). However, I have noted that today's diesels are not my father's diesels. Today's diesels have electronic computer controls, they need special stuff to reduce emissions, and more. The complexity has to come with an increased price tag for maintenance.

Last week on Ebay I saw a beautiful, restored '59 Dodge Power Wagon, flareside, with 1000 miles on the 4 cyl Cummins and the Ford tranny the seller had installed. For around $17K I was tempted, but not quite enough. The seller said it was getting mid-20s mpg, and that was not towing.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #149

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
We have had six VW TDIs in the family... I personally do all of the service on them.

---SNIP---

We didn't have many problems under warranty. However, VW tried their hardest not to cover items that later became recall items.
----
TB failures are very common, and usually require an engine swap. Turbo failures are common on the new models, but not on the old ones.
----
Some of the newer TDIs are experiencing fuel pump failures. This is not like. $50 fuel pump in a gas car. This can cost thousands.
----
Here in the US, most people want a car that can go 100,000 to 200,000 miles with very little spent in repairs, and then go to the junkyard.
So do you still drive a TDI today?

I don't do ANY mechanical work and have never owned a VW. I certainly don't do oil changes. But I like the idea of the VW TDI for towing and mileage. I'm still considering the Passat TDI in a couple of years or so when get ready to buy a TV and the Casita. Can-Am RV will do the hitch and set it up for towing the Casita. Should I expect to pay $$$ during the time I own it for maintenance, even if it is a 2012 or newer? Do you think VW will ever have a reliable product like Toyota or some of the other cars??

That Toyota Highlander Hybrid is looking better after reading all of this. LOL

Thanks for your impressions of the VW TDI.

Don

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #150

Mahindra's end of the road.

The end of Mahindra for USA.
First Shift: Mahindra halts U.S. pickup
George.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #151

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Bummer
Old 07-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #152

Name: William E.
Trailer: "Investigating for Retirement"
Texas
mahindra diesel

you will be happy the mahindra diesel, never was sold in the usa. unfortunately all the network of dealers that put out the big dollars will probably lose everything they invested.

now the good news, my contact, with nissan usa, just revealed to me today, the new revamped TITAN 2014, will be released late 2013 with 3 cab configurations, and finally with the new "D" engine configuration many of us have been waiting for here in the usa. torque, mileage, longevity. Cummins might ring a bell...

not that most of these rvs need a truck of this type - some will love to own one.
web3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #153

With Nissan historical record they could give us power and torque via sacrificed fuel mileage. Hopefully I am wrong.

George.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #154

Texas
nissan

yes nissan has been known for poopy mileage, much like all the other 1/2 tons and other size pickups as well,

here is hoping, the new cummins diesel engine 2.9l , this has been a joint venture between the 35 million that the us has invested with cummins and nissan for this engine development - i am old - memory not be as good as it used to be - but this what i read. guessing the engine should get 25 to 26 mpg highway, we will see.

if nothing else, maybe this truck will knock some sense into the other manufacturers to "get off the pot" and do something...

please LORD, help us out here, we deserve a break ...
Old 07-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by web3221 View Post
Ditto
Old 07-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #156

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by web3221 View Post
yes nissan has been known for poopy mileage, much like all the other 1/2 tons and other size pickups as well,

here is hoping, the new cummins diesel engine 2.9l , this has been a joint venture between the 35 million that the us has invested with cummins and nissan for this engine development - i am old - memory not be as good as it used to be - but this what i read. guessing the engine should get 25 to 26 mpg highway, we will see.

if nothing else, maybe this truck will knock some sense into the other manufacturers to "get off the pot" and do something...

Have you looked at what real - full-size diesel pickups get for mileage?

Why would you want to get a new untried, unknown, diesel engine in a smaller truck to get 2-4 mpg more than what a full-size is already doing?

As to whether or not Nissan will tune it mileage or for HP - well - for trucks power and huge towing capacity sells, mileage is filed under "oh and by the way in case anyone cares...."
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Have you looked at what real - full-size diesel pickups get for mileage?

Why would you want to get a new untried, unknown, diesel engine in a smaller truck to get 2-4 mpg more than what a full-size is already doing?

As to whether or not Nissan will tune it mileage or for HP - well - for trucks power and huge towing capacity sells, mileage is filed under "oh and by the way in case anyone cares...."
In this case I will have to agree to disagree. For me the tradeoff of power, acceleration, towing capacity and mucho ego loses in favor of fuel economy. I don’t believe I can be convinced otherwise so for me this discussion is truly a moot point.

George.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #158
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I don't believe the Titan is any smaller than an F 150 or a Chevy Silverado. Perhaps you are confusing it with the Frontier? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #159

Texas
nissan titan

UPDATE: just came from my customers house with nissan usa, the engine will be a diesel but he said it will be around a 4.ol instead of the 2.9l.
cab configs will be 4dr club, ext cab, and reg cab, in short bed and long bed models, also 2 & 4 wheel drive.

years ago i used to be in the corporate fleet leasing business doing specification design for cars and trucks according to their work environment needs. i am hoping with my connections nissan will allow me to spec out my own truck, toward the economy end of the scale, the truck will have all the power it needs for what i will be pulling. i will be operating it 70% of the time between elevations of 8500' to 12500', 4wd of course

the titan is definitely a full size truck along with the rest of the so called 1/2 tons. the front clip, of the truck is being redesigned, the rear of the truck, will be similar to the 2012 model.

it will be the first 1/2 ton with a diesel known of to date. i can almost guarantee they will be built for pulling and payload. he said it would be rated at 8000#, he is going to try and get me a spec list.

as far as 1st year problems with new vehicles, that used to be true 35 to 50 years ago, but not so much today. quality control, design, tooling, have come along way since then. and we all can thank honda and toyota for coming to the usa, and stealing market share from the us manufacturers - forcing the usa auto companies to get off the pot and and get better or else. i have a 04 f150 1st year production, has 90,000 miles on it, no problems, a fine truck, all you have to do is regular scheduled maintenance.

i will be looking forward to seeing the new model titan - then i will be able to make a decision

like i said before - dear LORD - hope you are listening i do not want a gold watch for retirement - just a nice truck

i do not type worth a caca and rarely spell check
Old 12-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #160

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Touareg TDI does look interesting
VW Touareg V10 TDI Vs.. Chevy 2500 HD - YouTube
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote