Mahindra diesel pickup - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #181

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Somehow the rest of the World has more options on their markets such as gas, CNG, LPG, diesel, why not in the US?
You can get all those options... but consumers have demonstrated that they don't want them, or are at least unwilling to pay for them:
  • gas (gasoline)
    Obviously, gasoline vehicles are widely available
  • CNG (Compressed Natural Gas)
    There are lots of conversions available, and various models from compact sedans (Honda Civic) to light trucks are factory-available in CNG
    Very few are sold, other than to natural gas distribution utilities, perhaps because the initial cost is high, range is short, and refuelling stations are nearly non-existent
  • LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas, a.k.a. propane)
    While rare to non-existent from the factory, aftermarket conversions are readily available... but pointless.
    Propane was used by most taxis, many tow trucks, and a significant number of private vehicles in the Edmonton area a quarter-century ago, because it was so cheap. Since then, prices have changed and propane is just as expensive (on cost per unit energy basis) as gasoline - even though propane is exempt from road taxes - and no one uses it any more. Perhaps the bulky tanks, inconvenient refuelling, need to keep another fuel system in place for starting in cold weather, and short range drove people away...
  • diesel
    While there is a lack of light pickup trucks currently available with diesel engines, there are diesel models of most vehicle types... and in every category, many (most in the case of everything but "one ton" pickup) buyers choose gasoline instead.

You can also buy vehicles to run any mix of gasoline and ethanol from straight gas to 85% ethanol (a.k.a E85), or a couple of vehicles to run on electricity.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... the diesel for my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, turbo 4 cyl that pulled like a v-6. But the emission standards killed it.
Several Jeeps have featured diesels over the years. Yes, emission standards changed and the VM Motori engine in the Liberty didn't survive one of those changes, but changing regulations are reality for all types of engines. Emission regulations didn't kill the other diesels - just forced them to be updated - and are not to blame for Chrysler's choice to discontinue diesel engine availability in the Liberty.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #183

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You can get all those options... but consumers have demonstrated that they don't want them, or are at least unwilling to pay for them
“People have demonstrated” - this is real news for me. Yes, you can get everything in the US but since when costumer decided not to by LPG, CNG, or small economical diesel vehicle. LPG is very popular in EU, costs one half of gas with 10% MPG and power loss, and there are LPG gas stations with automotive type LPG fill connectors. Please point me to a US road legal 2012 LPG conversion, car friendly LPG station, or 60 MPG small diesel or 35mpg small pickup truck in the US. Otherwise it sounds as “people say it is available”
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:47 AM   #184
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Toyota now has a pick-up competitor
Volkswagen Amarok 2.0 TDI Review | Autocar
I read that one reason VW will not bring the Amarok here is the chicken tax makes it non-competitive. It would have to be made here (North America) as would the Ranger. I have to wonder what effect that has on the Mahindra?

While rare in on-road vehicles, diesel engines are quite common on tractors. I'm not sure you can get a gasoline engine on a tractor once you get above a Home Depot lawn mower. And off road diesel is competitive in price to gasoline. That said the only thing connected to the exhaust manifold on my tractor is a muffler. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #185

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I read that one reason VW will not bring the Amarok here is the chicken tax makes it non-competitive.
If you wouldn't mind, I'd like an explanation of this "chicken tax." It's a complete surprise to me. I never knew that chickens had any money.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #186

MB overcomes the chicken tax on their Sprinter cargo vans by disassembling and putting them back together in the US. It is additional cost but still less than the chicken tax. My passenger van will not have to go through this process.

George.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #187

Trailer:
Chicken tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #188

Quote:
LPG is very popular in EU, costs one half of gas with 10% MPG and power loss, and there are LPG gas stations with automotive type LPG fill connectors. Please point me to a US road legal 2012 LPG conversion, car friendly LPG station...
North America is not Europe, and LPG is not half the price of gasoline here... perhaps only because gasoline is so much cheaper here (even in Canada) than in Europe.
I don't know what a "car friendly" propane station would be - I would just pull a propane car up to the same bulk fill point where I fill the RV tank of my motorhome. All permanently mounted tanks (at least here) have the same "fast fill" fitting.

A 10% peak engine power loss is not the same as the volume increase in fuel consumption - propane falls more than 10% short of gasoline in energy content.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #189
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
Good link here. Thanks Andrew. You have got to wonder why, after 50 years it is still in place. My understanding is that Ford makes the Transit Connect in Turkey with rear seats, brings it here and removes the seats to avoid the tax.

REPORT: Ford Transit Connect arriving in U.S. with full interiors that get stripped to comply with "Chicken Law"
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #190

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Well, I hope not to get anybody's hopes up, but this article seems to think that diesels will be arriving in the next few years. Unfortunately, they don't mention pickups.

The Diesels Are Finally Coming to the U.S. (If You've Got the Cash) | Autopia | Wired.com
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
http://enr.construction.com/opinions...novation.aspGo

Brief intro. to the historical origin of the "chicken tax" for those unfamiliar with the techy argot. And I always thought it was only trucks with beds installed, which would make it a "bed tax."

jack
There are a couple of extra characters on the end of that link so it doesn't work. Here's the corrected version:
Killing the ‘Chicken Tax’ on Trucks Will Promote Innovation | ENR: Engineering News Record | McGraw-Hill Construction
Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #192

Quote:
“People have demonstrated” - this is real news for me. Yes, you can get everything in the US but since when costumer decided not to by LPG, CNG, or small economical diesel vehicle...

Please point me to a US road legal 2012 LPG conversion...
Since when? Every day. Do you know anyone who bought a CNG Civic? Does everyone buying a Golf take the diesel?

Current emissions legality of LPG in the U.S. is a good point, but they're still legal here in Alberta and almost no one uses them now - consumers here have certainly demonstrated their preference.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #193

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I had a bi-fuel CNG pickup for a year or so. Bought it used (TX prison system was previous owner) with 100k miles. Repair costs and repair downtimes were ridiculous.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #194

Quote:
I don't know what a "car friendly" propane station would be - I would just pull a propane car up to the same bulk fill point where I fill the RV tank of my motorhome. All permanently mounted tanks (at least here) have the same "fast fill" fitting.

A 10% peak engine power loss is not the same as the volume increase in fuel consumption - propane falls more than 10% short of gasoline in energy content.
If you don't know what a car friendly propane station is I would suggest searching for it in EU.

Comparing volume usage LPG has about 10% higher consumption than gasoline. With newer LPG liquid injection system it is practically even. Most folks don't use full power so 10% difference in negligible.

George.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #195

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Mahindra

My company had a Mahindra tractor dealership before the recession hit. They are pretty good tractors but don't hold a candle to Kubota. The worst problem was getting them to honor the warranty. They are real penny pinchers. I doubt we will ever see the pickup.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #196

Quote:
If you don't know what a car friendly propane station is I would suggest searching for it in EU.
That's exceptionally unhelpful. What do you mean by "car friendly"? My car doesn't show affection for any kind of station - they all just need a readily accessible dispenser with a hose long enough to reach the filler opening, and a compatible nozzle.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #197

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Fuel costs

This morning when I fueled my vehicle ,gasoline was $3.09 / gal for 89 octane mid grade gasoline .Diesel was $ 4.38 /gal . The cost of diesel was 42% more than gasoline . My 2011 truck would have cost an additional $ 6000.00 if equipped with a diesel engine versus a gas engine . Based on the amount I drive per year , the cost of the diesel engine option , diesel fuel prices and how long I keep a vehicle ,I could never recover the costs .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #198

Quote:
That's exceptionally unhelpful. What do you mean by "car friendly"? My car doesn't show affection for any kind of station - they all just need a readily accessible dispenser with a hose long enough to reach the filler opening, and a compatible nozzle.
LPG filling process on gas station in EU is similar to gas, push-in the LPG nozzle and its lever, push fill button, and after fill is automatically finished remove the nozzle. There is no screwing in, no screwdriver, no venting, no weighing or flow measurement indicating full.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #199

Quote:
LPG filling process on gas station in EU is similar to gas, push-in the LPG nozzle and its lever, push fill button, and after fill is automatically finished remove the nozzle.
Now that's more helpful. I did later find a website showing the bayonet-style LPG connection now found in Europe. A decade ago, they apparently had multiple connection types so the situation was worse than in Canada and the U.S.

Current North American hardware include a stop-fill device (like the OPD on a portable cylinder, but appropriate to shut off filling, not just as a safety device).

Quote:
There is no screwing in, no screwdriver, no venting, no weighing or flow measurement indicating full.
The stop-fill device should eliminate the need to vent through the 80% level bleed valve.

North American propane tanks which use a bleed valve for fill indication now (for the last few decades) normally have a small three-sided knob on the bleed valve, so no screwdriver is required. No weighing is involved for a mounted tank (obviously), and flow measurement should never be used as a fill indication.

The only real difference is the more convenient EU bayonet nozzle, versus the North American fast-fill's hand-turned screw collar - but that could be the key to allowing self-serve (except, of course, in the states of Washington and New Jersey )

I really don't think having an attendant screw on the fast-fill collar keeps LPG from being available to North Americans... but that's just my opinion.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #200

Quote:
Comparing volume usage LPG has about 10% higher consumption than gasoline.
Just as diesel has an advantage over gasoline (it contains more energy per unit volume), LPG has a disadvantage.
Fuel - Energy volumetric density
LPG propane - 25.3 (MJ/L)
LPG butane - 27.7 (MJ/L)
Gasoline - 34.2 (MJ/L)
Diesel - 37.3 (MJ/L)

In the same engine, adapted for different fuels, the LPG consumption will be higher. LPG is a mix of propane and butane; in Europe there is probably much higher butane content in LPG (which is why we just call it "propane") so volume consumed will be lower than with our LPG. If LPG allows higher compression ratio, higher efficiency can make up some of the difference.

Why does this matter? In considering fuel alternatives - including gasoline versus diesel - some physical reality helps to make an objective comparison.

Quote:
With newer LPG liquid injection system it is practically even.
Delivering fuel to the engine as a gas displaces air, reducing the mass of fuel-air mixture the engine can breathe, and thus reducing peak power, but not affecting efficiency. Injecting LPG as a liquid fixes this problem, so the peak power output can be similar to that with gasoline... but it doesn't change the fact that the amount of fuel required depends on the specific energy content of the fuel.

Natural gas has the same power-limiting issue, although with any fuel supercharging (including turbocharging) can make up for it.

Quote:
Most folks don't use full power so 10% difference in negligible.
In reality I agree, but in marketing a 10% power difference certainly does sway buyers. Discussions here in FiberglassRV confirm that this sort of rated power difference is considered relevant.