Mileage comparisons - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2024, 12:48 PM   #1

Name: Tanya
Trailer: Shopping
New Brunswick
Mileage comparisons

Hi all,
Is there a huge difference in mpg between pulling a 13’ Scamp vs a 13’ Trillium? We are currently looking at both, both have their pros and cons. I know there are many factors involved in figuring out the mpg but just looking for general ideas or opinions. Thanks so much!
Atmelanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:52 PM   #2

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmelanson View Post
Hi all,
Is there a huge difference in mpg between pulling a 13’ Scamp vs a 13’ Trillium? We are currently looking at both, both have their pros and cons. I know there are many factors involved in figuring out the mpg but just looking for general ideas or opinions. Thanks so much!
I don't think the difference would be significant enough to measure unless you took the same route at the same speeds on a day with the same temperature and equal wind conditions. Even then the difference would likely be miniscule. Towing a trailer messes with the wind drag coefficient your vehicle was designed to attain. So you mustn't anticipate remarkable mpg while towing any camper.
i.e. Towing my Lil'Snoozy that weighs 800 lbs more than my previous pop up tent trailer behind my Jeep Cherokee resulted in approximately the same mpg at highway speeds. The 800 lb differential made a slightly larger difference when towing on mountainous roads.
Bill in Pittsburgh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:32 PM   #3

New Brunswick
Ok thank you. I guess we’ve heard that Scamps are very efficient to pull and the Trilliums are boxier so possibly not as efficient. Just wondered if it would be noticeable or not.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:53 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamps are only slightly more rounded in front than Trilliums. Both have a mostly flat rear end, which is bad for aerodynamics. Being very similar size and weight, I’d expect negligible difference in fuel economy.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:27 AM   #5

New Brunswick
Thank you for the replies!