Mirrors - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Best advice in the world is "drive with my eyes way ahead on the road" AIM High with your eyes. This gives you the time to change lanes or stop safely with a trailer. Having a navigator that can read map and road signs leaves you free to focus on traffic.
Which is why I object to relying on a rear view camera to see what is going on behind you. Every time you look at the monitor, you are taking your eyes off the road ahead and your eyes have to re-focus going back and forth.
Looking into a mirror does not cause you to re-focus.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #42

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
My largest complaint with my Subaru has been their lack of tow mirrors. If you can install a hitch they should have an option for proper fitting factory tow mirrors. I tried a few clip on mirrors on my Forester and found they vibrated far too much to be useful. After some digging I ended up using these:

http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11650-Del...dp/B00029WRJQ/

They take a bit of adjusting when you first get them but now they're setup they work great. I'm on my third season with them. The only issue I've had with them is that when it rains the strap stretches a bit, they'll never come off but you need to turn the wheel a few clicks to stop the strap from vibrating. They're a good option if the clip on's don't work for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #43

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi McKenna, I don't know how to put a drawing here for you to show what I meant of breaking the trailer. Try Googling some you tube videos. It's not that hard to back up, just takes practice. One of the things I drilled into the heads of any new drivers we got at the company was to stop, get out and look if they were not sure. Personally I try to always have the trailer angled to the drivers side so I have a better view when backing. The other side is called the blind side cuz you can't see the trailer at all.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #44

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Dave I think I know what you mean by "breaking" but correct me if I'm wrong.

When backing up the hitch is one pivot point, the tires are another. There is a point between the hitch and the tires that when backing up the trailer naturally wants to pivot at into a turn. That pivot into a turn spot is where the trailer "breaks" when backing up.

You could pull right up next to a lamp post and if the lamp post was at that break point you could wrap right around it when backing in.

this tip sheet seems pretty good and has a cute but informative video. I forget that I do that "scoop" thing they talk about, it's just sort of automatic.

Towing Tips and Techniques to Make Your Trip Safe and Enjoyable

They do make a point of saying assistant at rear should be able to see driver in mirror. I would most times rather have the assistant standing in front looking back where I'm going but who knows maybe I'm weird about this. Lord knows I'm weird about enough stuff according to my family.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #45

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
McKenna Lynn, This might have already been addressed/suggested in this or another similar thread, but my wife's helpful method for backing a trailer is to put her hands on the bottom of the steering wheel, then move her hands the direction she wants the rear of the trailer to go. Works for her.

On another note, a previous comment about eyes focusing on the image in the mirror rather than the mirror itself brought back a flood of memories. My dear departed maternal grandfather was a salt-of-the-Earth farmer/rancher his entire adult live who raised three children through the depression and dust bowl and who could do and make anything. He pretty much single-handedly built every home he and Grandma ever lived in. But the one thing he couldn't do, and it bugged him to no end, was back a trailer or piece of farm equipment - because, no matter how hard he tried, his eyes would focus on the mirror rather than the image in the mirror. He could get by when he had a lot of room, but when clearances got tight, he'd have to swallow his pride and ask for help. I loved that man and was always happy to help without judgment or comment, and I think that's why he always sought me out for help when he needed it. Wonderful memories of a hard-working gentle man whose 84 years on this earth were far too few....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #46

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Burro WB is 92" wide. I have the strapon type that John and Marilyn picture. I twist em vertical on the ball mount. Anyone hazard a guess why?

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #47

California
Hi Roger, by breaking I mean the angle difference between the tug and trailer, not in line anymore. Just thought if this, imagine pulling out of your driveway onto the street towing your trailer. Stop when your trailer is just out of the driveway. The two units are still broken at that point. This is the position I want to have my trailer in if I was going to back it in. The trailer is then at an angle so you just have to chase it back without really using much steering wheel movement. It's all in the setup position before you stop going forword. You do have to use both sides of the street to get the angle. Clear as mud now huh?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #48

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Hi Roger, by breaking I mean the angle difference between the tug and trailer, not in line anymore. Just thought if this, imagine pulling out of your driveway onto the street towing your trailer. Stop when your trailer is just out of the driveway. The two units are still broken at that point. This is the position I want to have my trailer in if I was going to back it in. The trailer is then at an angle so you just have to chase it back without really using much steering wheel movement. It's all in the setup position before you stop going forword. You do have to use both sides of the street to get the angle. Clear as mud now huh?
Actually that is perfect explanation. If you want to know what angle to have TV and trailer for backing in just go to a parking lot and pull out of two parking spots in line while turning into the traffic lane. Stop as the trailer exits the parking lines. Get out and look at the angle everything is at. That is your target.

Then practice that scoop maneuver from the video trying to end up with trailer and TV at that same angle. And then back in.

Over steering is probably biggest issue. That and visibility. Hard to back up if you can't see squat in the mirrors and don't have a system worked out with your fellow camper as an assistant. Those one way roads in campgrounds make half of the sites blind side back in but a lot of times there will be room across the road to pull into. Otherwise I would have slept in the parking lot of the SP a few times.

I sometimes use the lego leveling blocks as a target. I want this wheel right here.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #49

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
McKenna Lynn, You're probably getting more advice and opinions here than you ever really wanted, but here's another suggestion. Most well-maintained campgrounds will have a relatively flat concrete, asphalt or crushed gravel pad to park your camper and tow vehicle on, and that pad will have relatively straight sides with grass growing up to the edge or some other contrast color material. If you angle both of your side mirrors down a bit, it's pretty easy to see the color change on both sides from the grey concrete/asphalt/gravel pad to the green grass or other material. When backing in, just glance down in your mirrors and keep your camper between where you see that color changes on both sides, and you'll be on the pad and in the ballpark (remember to look up occasionally to make sure you're not backing over a picnic table or grill that you didn't notice initially! That's another good reason for having another set of eyes helping you.). With just a little experience simply keeping your camper between the lines, it won't be long until you're skilled at little adjustments that will put it right where you want it - more or less.... Just something else for you to think about and try.

On a whole other note, many campgrounds have "pull through" lots where you don't have to back in at all. Just pull in forward, set up, and then continue on forward when you pull out. I think they are intended more for those giant motor home rigs, but if a pull through lot is available, and the campground will let you, why not just camp in those until you become more confident backing in? No harm, no foul....
Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #50

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have NO one to help me. I'm a single traveler. After hearing and seeing horror stories, I'm grateful. YMMV but I think the person backing into a site, needs to do it ALONE. No one with flags or hand signals or walkie talkies. I mean REALLY? You WILL get there, but if you don't do it alone and don't practice for a BUNCH of times, what will happen when you NEED to do it alone?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #51

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am also a solo traveler and I agree that anyone that will be solo needs to learn to back up without assistance and practice over and over. As we all know other RVers are generous and helpful people. At least 50% of the time as I am backing into a space a helpful neighbor will show up to assist. I truly appreciate the generous thought but I truly am better backing up my own way (even if it takes me 10 times) than trying to understand someone's hand signals or directions.

I will say that it is helpful if you are backing into a tight spot with trees to have someone just make sure you are not hitting a tree but I can do it by getting out and checking several times.

My one piece of advice it to try to not arrive after dark. It is much more difficult to back up in the dark.

My advice for anyone that likes to assist a solo traveler.....ask if we would like some assistance before providing assistance. Sometimes I might welcome the assistance and other times I am fine. I truly do understand that people want to help and I appreciate the helpful spirit even when I don't need it.
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:29 AM   #52

California
Good comments Dale, Donna and Gayle. I do find that backing the Casita a bit different than the 30-40' straight sided trailer as the egg is rounded on the side and is a bit more sensitive to lining up to a straight side line like a driveway or camping spot. The only time I've seen someone use walkie talkies was an older couple that were pulling into a gas station to fill up for the first time. Brand new 35 foot class A and he hit the fire hydrant at the side door, halfway down the side, wet mess. Hand signals are fine if you know what they are before hand. After 30 years in construction a closed fist means stop. The first time I did that to my ex, well lets just say.......crunch. Bottom line is as Donna says, practice.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #53

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I have used different mirrors on each tow vehicle, and 3 types before I found what I wanted on the envoy.
On my minivan, the CIPA UTM Cipa-11960-Universal-Towing-Mirror_p_729.html
worked great, not on the Envoy
the Camco tow-n-see Camco Tow-N-See Mirror, Flat: Exterior Car Accessories : Walmart.com got me out of a jam when i needed mirrors to fit, but they vibrated a lot

The Milenco Milenco Grand Aero Towing Mirror | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK work good for me
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The Tow-N-See do vibrate, but another feature is that the suction cup blocks a portion of the vehicle's mirror and they can't be adjusted independent of the vehicle mirror.
I also went for the Grand Aero and they are superior in every way.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #55

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have NO one to help me. I'm a single traveler. After hearing and seeing horror stories, I'm grateful. YMMV but I think the person backing into a site, needs to do it ALONE. No one with flags or hand signals or walkie talkies. I mean REALLY? You WILL get there, but if you don't do it alone and don't practice for a BUNCH of times, what will happen when you NEED to do it alone?
Even though my wife is almost always with me, I much prefer to spot the trailer myself. If it is an unknown site, I get out to see where I want it spotted, back in to being close, get out and confirm one more time, then move into the spot. Only where I need someone to watch clearances when getting real close to something do I ever consider asking for help.

On awkward sites, where I want to jackknife the trailer into a better than straight in position, I sometimes will place a block where I want a tire to be, then it is an easy one shot maneuver.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #56

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
Thanks for all your advice. I am soaking it all in. If you see anyone driving in circles around Backus next spring, wave and say hi!
McKenna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #57

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Remember this simple acronym. GOAL.
Get
Out
And
Look.

Many times if necessary.

Not all of us are professional truck drivers with huge commercial trailers behind us. The whole idea is to get parked with no damage.

Everything else is gravy. Don't sweat it, no one was born with the "parking gene." Truly.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #58

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
This is the mirror Mike.

Milenco Grand Aero Towing Mirror | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK

You'll find them on Amazon and at Costco.
I have a pair of those I don't need that are like new if anyone is interested..
Old 08-01-2014, 04:42 AM   #59

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I have to say thanks again, everyone. Not only was a question addressed,but a whole bunch of techniques was offered. Very helpful. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #60

Colorado
Hey McKenna Lynn,

How's the backing going? Thought you might enjoy seeing a big rig pro do some serious fast precision driving and backing (if this link comes through).

Dale