Mirrors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
That mirror that Jon shows is (to me) the new improved versions that became standard equipment a couple years before I retired 11 years ago. Before that the option was the 6" round spot mirrors that mounted under the original mirrors on a "L" bracket. We also had to install the brackets and spot mirrors on the front fenders when we inserviced new trucks. I would like a slightly larger spot mirror than the little 2" one that is stuck on the factory mirror of my Ram pickup, but it does help with seeing cars that get in that blind spot approaching along side me.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I have never advocated against better mirrors. Not once. I do have a problem when people appeal to a “higher authority” (i.e., the law) as the basis of their argument and proceed to misinterpret that authority.

The reasons you suggest are all good reasons (apart from the law) to have good towing mirrors.

My experience is folks that are oblivious are unlikely to be helped by any amount of additional equipment and technology. It’s a people problem, exacerbated by the general lack of meaningful driver training required to get a license and operate oversized non-commercial vehicles in the US.

I was following a travel trailer yesterday and watched it make a right-hand turn into a gas station from the left lane, cutting off a minivan overtaking in the right lane.. Fortunately we were in town and traffic was moving slowly. A quick reaction by the minivan averted disaster.
While I have supported Kenneth's position on this subject, I certainly didn't intend to direct the "advocacy" comment at you personally.
You have always been a voice of reason contributing to better understanding on important issues.

I do hope that the "higher(civil)authority" comment was not directed at me either.

Anyone who has ever read anything I have written would scoff at that idea.
I have been a constant advocate of informed personal responsibility.

Sorry, if I have caused you to infer that which I had no intention to imply.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
My purpose in starting this thread was to inform the group of a product which I thought might be useful to some who have tolerated inferior strap on mirrors and might like an upgrade.
I was not interested in selling them to anyone, let alone anyone who does not see a need for them, and I certainly did not anticipate contention.
Extended mirrors in appropriate applications can be a blessing and enhance safety and visibility.

Levity....
On the other hand I suppose, when used carelessly, they could be a hazard to garage door openings or even nearby pedestrians
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=floyd;830617]My purpose in starting this thread was to inform the group of a product which I thought might be useful to some who have tolerated inferior strap on mirrors and might like an upgrade.
I found those mirrors quite interesting, and agree they could be very useful. My opinion is the more mirror you can get, the better. Wouldn't mind having a set myself, but like most everyone else I'll get by with what I have, although the factory mirrors on my Ram 1500 work pretty good when towing our Casita 17. Like most threads here this one went off track some, and I'm guilty of contributing to that too. Thanks for posting about those mirrors Floyd, I wasn't aware of them.

]
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #25

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
When I drove....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Certainly words have meaning, but in this context they could not possibly mean what you are suggesting.

Attachment 144203

I agree that situational awareness of a tailgater is a good thing, but it is not required to be legal.
...trailers were not so wide. Yep, I'm an old guy.
tnx
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:04 PM   #26

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Clearview mirrors are made in Australia and are a very limited product line. If you have a vehicle that they are designed to fit (and yes they do make LH drive versions for export to the US) then by all means get them, they are excellent quality but are quite expensive.

For many trucks and SUVs there are factory tow mirrors that can replace the original mirrors. For instance, Surburbans will accept comparable year pick up mirrors in most cases.

Ksource, despite their cheesy China mfg sounding name is actually a company that has been in business making auto and truck mirrors for over 70 years for the various OEMs. They have an aftermarket division and a good web site https://www.ksource.org/products.html which is worth investigating if you are in need of mirrors.

Charles