MPG Halved by Boler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
When we towed a car behind our motorhome it had little effect on motorhome mileage, much like your utility trailer. When the thing being towed has a frontal area smaller than the frontal area of the tow vehicle it has much less of an effect on mileage.

Outside of towing a popup, it is unlikely you'll find a more aerodynamic trailer than a Boler. We had a stick built trailer that weighed less than our Scamp and was a 1/2 foot shorter, yet towing the stick built resulted in 10% less mpgs. 22-23 mpg with the Scamp 16 versus 20 with the Sunline 15.5.

Definitely you don't want to base your decision on one trip.

As to the cost of fuel if you're a weekend traveler the cost is less significant; you don't go out every week and you don't drive a couple of 1000 miles when you do. For people who travel continuously and are retired, an additional $200 a month is significant.

Of course everything has a price. I will say being on the road is about as good as it gets, there's the everyday stimulation of so much new and wonderful. I find it supremely relaxing to be traveling, equally important it provides the opportunity to think about new things because you're not burdened by the everyday of life. This week it's been stirling engines, Satsop Nuclear Plant and Elma, WA. Every where we go there's something new, it helps keep us vital.

RVing is in a sense an escape to a Brigadoon opportunity... it's not free but fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Well said Norm & Ginny! My Dad always said "Getting there is half the fun!"

Spanke
Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #23

Name: Michael
Trailer: '73 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Yeah, that's the attitude I need to have about it. Just starting out, I can't fully know the joy having this home-on-wheels can bring. I'm sure the added price on every mile will be worth it ultimately.

Our reluctance comes only after considering the vast distance we'll be traveling. The plan is to circumnavigate North America throughout the summer. The added cost of bringing the Boler could probably go well over an extra $1000.

Then again, as others have mentioned, the cost of not bringing it, relying on other accommodations every step of the way, may be greater, and certainly not as much fun.
xichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #24

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
There are not many trailers lighter than a 1300 and wind resistance is not any greater than most other trailers either. I think your fuel economy is rather normal. I have a 1700 and tow with a V6 1/2 ton pickup that normally gets 25 mpg highway cruising at 60 when not towing. Towing mileage at 55-60 drops to a measly 12-15 mpg. I am a cheepskate and I FEEL every drop of gas I burn. I am a weekend camper with a two week holiday thrown in as well so I have accepted the costs in the short term. I would like to do some longer trips someday so I am saving for a new (to me) tow vehicle with a diesel engine. This could save me some money on fuel over the long haul. The economics of diesel would not be so good with a new vehicle on relatively short trips. I think the reason I get such poor mileage is that the towing weight is right at towing capacity of the pickup. Also the small block V6 4.3l has only 260 foot pounds of torque and to get that the engine needs to be at 2800 rpm. I have to tow in 4th gear because overdrive will not allow the engine to turn over any faster than 2000 rpm. There is little torque at 2000rpm. In 4th gear I have to get the engine up to 3000 rpm in order to cruise at 60 mph. Not a very efficient setup but it will do for now.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #25

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
we were traveling with my sister and hubby, they have a Boler and we have a Bigfoot,both 13'. We both have 4runners. they put a 1/4" plastic wind screen on the top of their TV. It looked like the one in the graph showing wind deflection. they ran it in place for a couple of weeks of driving. comparing our mpg to theirs, (we were together) they were getting, about 5 mpg less than us. fill up after fill up. We assumed it must be the angle was incorrect. How would we know. He finally removed it. His mpg was then equal to ours. ???? all in all we were getting about 18mpg in a 2 month trip.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Michael,

We're on an 11 month clockwise loop of the USA beginning in NH last November, just reached WA and about 2/3rds to 3/4s done.

As a measure of the cost of our trip we have spent $2,300 for gas, averaging $92 a week driving about 570 miles a week, that includes both tow miles and exploring miles.

Over our 11 months I'm projecting we'll spend about $4,000 for fuel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by xichael View Post
We just took our new Boler on her maiden voyage and were shocked to see the MPG meter on our '05 Caravan reading 11-15, where it would normally be 24-27.
I am surprised too that it is that low. As a comparision we got (long term averages)
26 -27 with a Nissan Mini Van solo,
19 -20 towing a 2,000lb Coleman Pop Up, and
16 MPG towing the dual axle Airstream.

Note Imperial gals. Towing at 60MPH.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Yeah, that's the attitude I need to have about it. Just starting out, I can't fully know the joy having this home-on-wheels can bring. I'm sure the added price on every mile will be worth it ultimately.

Our reluctance comes only after considering the vast distance we'll be traveling. The plan is to circumnavigate North America throughout the summer. The added cost of bringing the Boler could probably go well over an extra $1000.

Then again, as others have mentioned, the cost of not bringing it, relying on other accommodations every step of the way, may be greater, and certainly not as much fun.
That is a larger distance than the typical vacation one hears of, so I can appreciate your desire to keep mpg's high. A popup could gain you a little, or a tent would save a lot. Those are the only other options I can think of. But the setup and teardown is so much less with an egg, I'm sure that over the course of such a long vacation you'll really appreciate having it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Take a look at your trailer tires. I have no recommendations to make as to brand, but I an say that just changing tires on my ol' Boler 1700 resulted in a real difference in MPG and in the effort my tug had to put into pulling it.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
That was my thought Dave. Tire wear would show axle alignment problems and or underinflation.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #31

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
When the thing being towed has a frontal area smaller than the frontal area of the tow vehicle it has much less of an effect on mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Tire wear would show axle alignment problems and or under-inflation.
I have 2 trailers as seen in my registry; a Fiber Stream and a Compact Jr.

I had the "Jr." first and because it is narrow and the roof lowers for travel it is almost equal in height and width to my Honda Odyssey. The drop in fuel economy when towing was only 2-3 mpg from not towing.

Conversely, the 'Stream has been lifted due to "flipping" the axle and adding a sistered-in frame reinforcement making it 7" taller than when it left the factory, and it towers over the Odyssey. Driving at a constant 55 mph the mileage can vary from 13-17 mpg and the Odyssey gets 22-23 mpg when not towing. The #1 thing I do is make sure my tires are fully inflated for the best mpg every time I tow.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #32

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
We just took our new Boler on her maiden voyage and were shocked to see the MPG meter on our '05 Caravan reading 11-15, where it would normally be 24-27.

Last summer I towed a utility trailer which weighed roughly the same, but was about 3 feet shorter, and it had little effect — maybe 2 or 3 MPG.

This means it's entirely a problem of aerodynamics. Really, really bad aerodynamics.

I really hope there are solutions to this, because otherwise we'll probably have to give up the dream and sell the Boler...
Ours dropped from 5.7L per 100km / 43.6 us mpg or 49 mpg ca
Range of 9L per 100km / 27.6 us mpg or 31 mpg ca too 9.5L 26 us mpg or 29 mpg ca and can be less depending on hills and head wind.

We push a lot of air
at 8'1" high and 7' 11 1/2" wide; lucky it is rounded and light weight
Old 05-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #33

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
mpg

We tow a 16' scamp with a 2005 dodge caravan 3.8 v6. Normally 25 mpg highway........ towing 16mpg....no wind.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #34

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
I tow with a honda element and barely notice a difference as they are nearly the same height!
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #35

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
hmm will be intersting to pay attention to others and see what they show.
first the obvious. tug tuned up correctly? your mechanic can also reset you computer for better towing parameters. if needed.
are you towing in overdrive? surprisingly, that might work against you.
of course proper tire inflation.
attitude of trailer? nose high, low?
oh,,,and drive like your drivers ed teacher told you,,,like you have an egg under your foot.

and of course,,, didn't leave the dog tied to the rear bumper? though that might only effect the mpg of huge station wagons....

(obscure vacation movie reference.)
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #36

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
....are you towing in overdrive? surprisingly, that might work against you......

and of course,,, didn't leave the dog tied to the rear bumper? though that might only effect the mpg of huge station wagons....

Very bad to tow in overdrive with an automatic. The transmission will shift into and out of overdrive constantly. Will fry your transmission, to the point you can smell burnt on your dipstick. Won't do you gas milage any good either. Either use OD/off switch or manually put in D3 not D.

Obuscure nothing! Classic reference, clear sign of a refined and educated poster
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #37

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
We have a '01 Town and Country with AWD and the 3.8. We get 21.8 normally on the highway and we get about 13-14 towing our Scamp. With a good headwind we can get in to the 11's. I tow at around 65-70 in gear 3, not Drive.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #38

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
overdrive

Tires inflated properly. Recently tuned up engine. I'll tow in overdrive only if there is no constant shifting involved but only at speeds in excess of 65 mph. Hills and head winds or lower speeds and I've got her in the 3 position. I'm happy with my 16mpg performance though, haven't experimented with the attitude adjustment.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #39

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by swenny View Post
Tires inflated properly. Recently tuned up engine. I'll tow in overdrive only if there is no constant shifting involved but only at speeds in excess of 65 mph. Hills and head winds or lower speeds and I've got her in the 3 position. I'm happy with my 16mpg performance though, haven't experimented with the attitude adjustment.

Now that could be a problem. Towing at excessive speeds greatly increases the chances of sway, tire failure. and driver fatigue.

Slow down and let us all live.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #40

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
hmm will be intersting to pay attention to others and see what they show.
first the obvious. tug tuned up correctly? your mechanic can also reset you computer for better towing parameters. if needed.
are you towing in overdrive? surprisingly, that might work against you.
of course proper tire inflation.
attitude of trailer? nose high, low?
oh,,,and drive like your drivers ed teacher told you,,,like you have an egg under your foot.

John,
The mother in law on the roof rack costs a couple of MPG as well.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler