My favorite task! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
My favorite task!

Or maybe not. This is getting a lot easier now that I have a set of bearing race drivers. Also bought a bearing packer [not shown] which I could have got on without but I'd say it conserves grease and is less trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_5856.jpg   DSC_5857.jpg  

DSC_5858.jpg   DSC_5859.jpg  

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Some people know how to have ALL the fun
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Jack. Neat tool but I am not sure why I would need one. I figured when it was time for drum machining I would buy a new one. Eastern marine sells them at a good price and shows the bearing cup already installed. Am I wrong here? Raz
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I like seeing the trailer supported by two stands plus the jack under the axle, parts laid out on a mat, and I have a hammer like yours but in a little better shape. Nice having the right tools, I've always used a punch to put the bearing cup in. Next are you getting a seal driver?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

Delaware
Hi Raz. I didn't get the drum turned; looked fine no scoring. Your way sounds like a possible alternative. I repacked the right side a few weeks back. On the short run down to Lum's Pond where we encountered each other, it ran so much cooler than the left hub that I decided to get in there today. This time I knocked out the races and replaced everything. Little compare and contrast project. One set Russky in one wheel and Chinese in the other now. I wish I'd bought Timken bearings a la carte rather than the Eastern Marine bearing set. Would have been about $25 difference for both sides. Maybe next year and then maybe I'll never have to replace and can just repack.

M&B, I think you're supposed to use one of the larger race drivers reversed on the mandrel to seat the seal. Anyway, that's what I did. This is not something I learned at Daddy's side; I was neither car crazy nor much of a wrench in my tender youth so there's a bit of a learning curve. I didn't include a photo of the tv hooked on the front as a safety measure. Driveway slopes and with only two points on the ground I need one of them to be a big anchor.

Donna, I coulda used some hotrodder expertise going in but my curbside manner, so to speak, is improving.

jack
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Was there any wear or scoring of the races or did you replace as a preventive measure? When I did mine, they looked fine after cleaning with brake cleaner so I just left them alone.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #7

Delaware
Thomas, the inner bearing looked starved to me but there wasn't any heat bluing on the axle or the bearing. I replaced everything to learn to replace everything. Baby steps. I don't want to do this in a breakdown situation and I most especially don't want to LEARN HOW to do it in a breakdown situation.

jack
Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Now, if the old ones weren't "too bad", pack them with fresh grease, too, and lightly grease the races. Double bag the whole works in zip-lok bags and stow them in the trailer somewhere, so that, in case of any possible future issues on the road, you can just pop in a set of "already packed" bearings and be back on your way in half an hour.

Superstitious behaviour: Carrying them should ensure that they will never be needed, while tossing the old ones out will ensure that some dirt gets into your new ones on your very trip.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #9

Delaware
The "pop em in" bit sounds optimistic, Dave, but having spares, used or fresh, is a good idea. I might just pack the set of takeoffs AND my chunk of brass pipe AND my BFH AND my bearing packer, AND a couple extra seals, AND at least the two sizes of race setter that I absolutely need, AND maybe 10lbs of miscellananeous other and place it all "somewhere in the trailer." Is this how the Joads got to California?

jack
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I sell all the tools made in USA on my website. I am guessing people would rather buy Chinese made which are cheaper.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #11

Delaware
Quote:
I sell all the tools made in USA on my website. I am guessing people would rather buy Chinese made which are cheaper.
Chuck
Do you have a catalog listing your comprehensive inventory and price list for all USA-made parts/tools pertaining to axles, brakes, bearings? I'll bet "people" are willing to give you a shot. Me too! I got my bearing packer from Lisle, which is, I am led to believe, a stateside manufacturer rather than a shill for the Chinee.

jack