Need clarification on Scamp axle (leading arm?) photos inside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-15-2017, 06:06 PM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Need clarification on Scamp axle (leading arm?) photos inside

Hello, I'm trying to figure out which items on my new-to-me Scamp are from factory.

My question goes to axle type.
I am including some photos in hopes that they help, I can take more photos if needed.

Info that might be helpful:
I have a 1 and 7/8" ball
My rims have the 5 lug nuts
Spare tire is on a three long bolt pattern
The year of my trailer is 1992
13' Standard, bunk bed layout

Some photos:

lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Sounds stock! Definitely leading arm. I have seen leading arm axles on some Scamp13s as late as 2003. Some were trailing arm before that though, so there was a transition era. I see that you have backing plates so you can easily add 7" brakes if you like. It appears that your tire wear is about normal for a healthy axle.

1-7/8" ball was stock on all Scamp13s until 2006.

Trailers with 4 lug wheels come with a two bolt spare mount.
5 lug has 3.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #3

California
Registry
Thanks Floyd!
I wonder if I should start to think about replacing it due to age?
Old 09-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Floyd, could you clarify the approximate timeline of when Scamp changed (1) 4-lug to 5-lug wheels, (2) leading to trailing arm axle, (3) 1-7/8" to 2" coupler, (4) upgraded frame. I had just assumed they all happened at the same time, but I was a little surprised to see 5-lug wheels on a leading arm axle.

... And I see now you were busy editing while I was asking questions. You have addressed all except the 4-lug to 5-lug change, which I'm guessing now is mid-late 80's. Thanks for satisfying our curiosity.

One more question... Do you have any idea of the history of the weight ratings on Scamp axles?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #5

California
Registry
Thank you Floyd and Jon (for knowing what to ask).

I am happy to know that I have backing plates, I didn't realize that. I may want to get some brakes at some point.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Floyd, could you clarify the approximate timeline of when Scamp changed (1) 4-lug to 5-lug wheels, (2) leading to trailing arm axle, (3) 1-7/8" to 2" coupler, (4) upgraded frame. I had just assumed they all happened at the same time, but I was a little surprised to see 5-lug wheels on a leading arm axle.

... And I see now you were busy editing while I was asking questions. You have addressed all except the 4-lug to 5-lug change, which I'm guessing now is mid-late 80's. Thanks for satisfying our curiosity.

One more question... Do you have any idea of the history of the weight ratings on Scamp axles?
I honestly don't think that the Scamp factory owners could give you the exact information you are asking for. They have always been busier making trailers than keeping records.
( plus the fire?)

Guess#1...
Sometime after converting to 2200 and 3500 pound axles, after '86 and likely around'92+...ish. I don't recall a Scamp hubcap wheel with 5 lugs.
Early Scamps had 2200# axles on the 16s and 1200# leading arm axles on all 13s.
Circa 1981? the 5er appeared and I am sure it wasn't long (maybe the first year) that they got a 3500# axle( PURE CONJECTURE)

Guess#2
Not sure on the 16 though much earlier than the 13 Maybe all the way back with trailing arms??? I have seen leading arms on 13s as late as 2003.
I am sure there were some trailing arms as far back as 96.
My guess is that13s were all trailing arms after 2003 (there may be exceptions).

Guess#3
All after fire frames on the 13s (or at least when they ran out of prefire frames) have been 2" ball couplers. This was the same time that they dropped the kickstand type tongue jack and went to the vertical ones.

Guess#4
My thought is that the upgraded frame came about the same time as the upgrade to the 2200# axle on the 13. Circa 1996 , but definitely post elephant hide earliest could be late 1980s. I have only mic'ed an early (circa1980) and my 2004 but frame cracks seem to have become a lot more rare post elephant hide.

Most of this is out on the edge of my knowledge and I invite those more positive to chime in.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:

My 1986 Scamp 13 is 1-7/8 ball, 4 lug, leading arm axle.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:

"Guess#1" now has my conjectures on those.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
My 1986 Scamp 13 is 1-7/8 ball, 4 lug, leading arm axle.
And Ratfur?
I actually saw one 1986 5er with an Ozite liner... Only one i've ever seen, but it sure looked factory.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Thank you for taking the time, Floyd. I am surprised at the long transition from leading to trailing arm axles. Sadly, you've only whetted my appetite for historical information. Curiouser and curiouser...
Old 11-12-2023, 09:46 AM   #11

Name: Dan
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Sounds stock! Definitely leading arm. I have seen leading arm axles on some Scamp13s as late as 2003. Some were trailing arm before that though, so there was a transition era. I see that you have backing plates so you can easily add 7" brakes if you like. It appears that your tire wear is about normal for a healthy axle.

1-7/8" ball was stock on all Scamp13s until 2006.

Trailers with 4 lug wheels come with a two bolt spare mount.
5 lug has 3.
Floyd, any idea when scamp changed to the 5 bolt hub? Was it the same time as the change to trailing arm?
cdcmgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 03:37 PM   #12

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Using the Scamp parts store and searching for Axle, it says 5-bolt are 2004-present.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/?s=axle
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 06:14 PM   #13

Colorado
But I've seen a 97 with 5 bolt that I'd swear was factory
Old 11-12-2023, 06:56 PM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcmgmt View Post
But I've seen a 97 with 5 bolt that I'd swear was factory
The OP has a '92 with an original 5-bolt leading arm, so you're likely correct. About the only thing I have learned for certain from this old thread is the transition from 1200# 4-bolt leading to 2200# 5-bolt trailing was very messy on 13'ers. I wouldn't count on the current factory website to have completely accurate information on old axles, either.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:17 PM   #15

Colorado
Thanks. I'd really like to know when they beefed up the frame, and whether the 5 bolt automatically indicates 2,200 lb axle

Tags
axle, scamp