Need new tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Need new tires

Four more tires?

How could it happen? My trailer tires are trying to kill me. All four of them.

So bad I am actually afraid to drive on them. My 19 footer is my favorite haunt, my refuge, the thing I tow everywhere without hesitation. Over the years the one thing I could always trust for a safe and honest ride through retirement were the tires. You need good tires. But that was then. Now, there is a very good chance my current trailer tires will kill me. Time to put on the brakes.

The roads are rough. No trailer can run without reliable tires. You count on that. I was willing to take a chance, gave them my trust. That brand promised so much. They lied. They masked their true worth. Almost 100 thousand miles gone, now screaming at me to give them four more years? After four rocky years they have crashed.

That brand insists they will always be the very best, no need to ever change. So I should not look at the tread, but continue the ride? They think promising anything is enough to keep me rolling along. The ditch ahead though, is deep. Real deep.

My trailer tires talk? Yes they do, loud and clear. Cheap tires do that. They say do not look at the wear and tear they caused, or the clear and present danger ahead. Seriously? They think I can ride for another 100 thousand miles?

When the wheels are falling off the tires must go. No way I survive with them on my trailer. Them are dangerous tires, for my trailer too big to risk four more years. I need a smoother ride. Time for a different brand of tires.
Attached Thumbnails
tires.jpg  
Old 05-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Almost 100 thousand miles gone
If you really got a hundred k miles out of one set of trailer tires you lead a charmed life, count your blessings and kwitcherbellyachin.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #3

New Mexico
Registry
I heard that.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:20 PM   #4

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
You running truck tires on that thing? Well, we've 23K miles on our marathons, and they look to have about the same left. For what that's worth...
Old 05-17-2020, 04:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I heard that.
Hi: MyronL... Try a set of Goodyear Endurance ST tires. They're made in America!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 05-17-2020, 07:51 AM   #6

New Mexico
Registry
If we can"t escape, Endurance is the key. I just be trying to be treading lightly on the subject, Alf. How'm I doin'?
Old 05-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
If we can"t escape, Endurance is the key. I just be trying to be treading lightly on the subject, Alf. How'm I doin'?
Hi: MyronL... You're "Light years ahead"!!!
Tread lightly and carry a big schtick.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 05-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Better than some of your more recent efforts.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #9

New Mexico
Registry
Saw these Loons at an obscure, hidden lake near Emily, Minn. We aren't in Kansas anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Loons02.jpg  
Old 05-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #10

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
A few years ago we had a 25' Airstream and had tire problems with the Marathons. A tire dealer talked me into trying a set of look alike China tires and never had another tire problem. Don't remember the name but the tread pattern looked just like the Marathons. Seems like they were called Load Stars but I have a good case of CRS...
Old 05-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
MAXXIS
Old 05-18-2020, 07:28 AM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I recently bought a Casita 17. Three years ago someone put on some highly hyped made in the USA tires. I'm not mentioning the brand but let's say the ride has been a s--t show. I'm riding them up to Washington this week but you can bet your house I'll be changing them out before we head south again the first week in November.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:29 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dunno Jon.. I was just throwing my tire suggestion in the ring. One of these deals where a simple post turns into a "flame war" over nothing. I'll chose my fights. Outta here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You did use block caps in your response recommending Maxxis tires. Don't know if that was intentional, but I think Glenn was drawing attention to it, and the overlarge font was intended to be humorous in keeping with the tone of the original post.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:44 AM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Old 05-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
MAXXIS
My previous trailer, "the Styrofoam Box" needed tires and after an immense amount of internet research I went with MAXXIS tires. They were the only tires that had almost no negative comments. They were not cheap either.

They needed very little weight to balance which is an indication of a well made tire. I mounted and balanced them myself in the barn. I couldn't stand throwing away $100 even though it not a job that I enjoy. I know from personal experience that their bicycle tires are top notch and a friend who is very experienced with motorcycles and ATVs agrees.

They are also not Chinese they are made in Taiwan so my new "buy nothing from China if I can help it mantra" is not violated.

BTW MAXXIS uses capitol letters on their web site.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:31 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Boler also spelled their brand with a lower-case "b." Regardless of what marketers do, the English convention for a proper noun is to capitalize only the first letter. So I write "Boler" and "Maxxis." Others may do differently, and since this is not an academic journal, it is of no consequence. Except when the use of block caps is misunderstood.

My tires are telling me they're bored!
Old 05-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #17

New Mexico
Registry
My tires were man made in the USA but I'm giving them the bird.
Attached Thumbnails
CedrWax1.jpg  
Closed Thread

Tags
tires