Needed: Trailer Brakes for Dummies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Needed: Trailer Brakes for Dummies

Hi, I'm thinking I'd like to have brakes installed on my 2005 13' Scamp. As far as I can tell I do have the flanges for them on the axle. At least there is a square plate with holes that I can see right next to the wheels. My TV (2009 Honda Element) has the round connector for the trailer lights. I remember someone saying, "that's good! you can add brakes" when they saw that. I don't understand what they meant though. Can someone explain to me in a really basic fashion how the brakes work, and what I would be having installed as far as a Controller, any more wires, etc. and the parts that go on the axle? I don't want to be completely clueless when I go to my mechanic (or my hubby) about this. I've been reading old threads about brakes and getting some clues, but I am lacking the very basics on how it all works.
Thanks, this forum is always soooooo helpful!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
How Electric Brakes Work — hitchweb

Here ya go. Plain spoken tutorial on electric trailer brakes and brake controllers. You already doped out the mounting flange for the brake plate so it should be a quick study for you.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Go to etrailer.com there you can find a video explain how t install them. You can buy everything you need.
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In short, you need to add the trailer brake shoes and backing plate, change the hubs to an integral hub / brake drum and add a brake controller to your tow vehicle.

The links will give you an idea of the cost of the parts. If you are handy, you can do it yourself.

You must have this bracket behind your tire / wheel to mount the brakes.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Hi, I'm thinking I'd like to have brakes installed on my 2005 13' Scamp. As far as I can tell I do have the flanges for them on the axle. At least there is a square plate with holes that I can see right next to the wheels. My TV (2009 Honda Element) has the round connector for the trailer lights. I remember someone saying, "that's good! you can add brakes" when they saw that. I don't understand what they meant though. Can someone explain to me in a really basic fashion how the brakes work, and what I would be having installed as far as a Controller, any more wires, etc. and the parts that go on the axle? I don't want to be completely clueless when I go to my mechanic (or my hubby) about this. I've been reading old threads about brakes and getting some clues, but I am lacking the very basics on how it all works.
Thanks, this forum is always soooooo helpful!
Look here, it should be everything you need for the conversion...

ADD Brakes TO Your Trailer Camper Snowmobile 7" 5x4 5 | eBay
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look on Northerntool.com
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #7

New Hampshire
Thank you everyone! I'm getting the picture...that is indeed the bracket that I can see next to the wheel. And no, very funny, but I am not at all handy other than with the computer or with training dogs, so this project may be one for my favorite mechanic.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Thank you everyone! I'm getting the picture...that is indeed the bracket that I can see next to the wheel. And no, very funny, but I am not at all handy other than with the computer or with training dogs, so this project may be one for my favorite mechanic.
You may still be able to save money by buying all the parts and dropping them off. My auto mechanic charges 2x retail on parts.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have no experience with brakes. I had the axle replaced on my first Trillium 4500, so it came with brakes. We picked up my second 4500 in Ontario, and while it has the brake assemblies, the magnets are missing. Attached are the pictures I took of the inside of the brake drums. Why are there two posts, and what magnets should I buy?
Attached Thumbnails
Launch Pad - Street Side Brakes 01.jpg   Launch Pad - Street Side Brakes 02.jpg  

Launch Pad - Street Side Brakes 03.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check this site out. You may find it a better deal to purchase complete units than just the magnets alone. Tow Zone Electric Brakes — Pair, 10in., Model# 86805 | Drum Brakes| Northern Tool + Equipment
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have no experience with brakes. I had the axle replaced on my first Trillium 4500, so it came with brakes. We picked up my second 4500 in Ontario, and while it has the brake assemblies, the magnets are missing. Attached are the pictures I took of the inside of the brake drums. Why are there two posts, and what magnets should I buy?
I would not buy magnets, I would buy whole assemblies, as they are so cheap.

Make sure these are the correct width. You need a right and a left. These are genuine Dexter brakes.

Dexter 10" x 2-1/4" Electric Brake Assy. - Right Hand / 3.5k #K23-027-00

Canadian shipping notes: http://www.easternmarine.com/order-i...ping-handling/
Old 08-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I wonder if two posts are required to keep the magnet aligned?

I would be tempted to replace the entire brake/drum assembly rather than work with fixing up old. That way you know what you've got and that it is designed to work together.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I wonder if two posts are required to keep the magnet aligned?

I would be tempted to replace the entire brake/drum assembly rather than work with fixing up old. That way you know what you've got and that it is designed to work together.
Once he prices the cost of a magnet alone and compares it to the cost of a whole unit, the answer will be clear.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Wow, two others posting the same thing in the time it took me to respond.

Looking at your second picture Dave, That axle is looking a bit up for having no load.
Have you considered changing everything all at once?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Buy the brake plates as units. Has someone else mentioned that? Doesn't help Tillston but in the lower 48, Eastern Marine usually has sales on electric brakes, particularly the Dexter Nev-R-Adjust.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:48 AM   #16

New Hampshire
Back to my Brakes

I can almost see the Scamp on the far side of the snow bank now, so once again thinking about my project to add brakes. Have checked out several links to kits and parts, and think I have the basic idea....the kit that Floyd pointed out on EBay
Add Brakes to Your Trailer camper Snowmobile 7" 5x4 5 | eBay
is by far the cheapest and seems the most complete. Has anyone actually bought that kit? Anyone have any thoughts about it?
I do want 7" brakes for my Scamp 13', not 10", correct?
ETrailer certainly has the most informative videos so think I'll get the controller from them. Tekonsha Prodigy P2 or P3 are so close in price, is there any reason to go with one over the other?
Thanks, as always, this forum is the BEST!
Old 03-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Trailers emerging from the snowbanks reminding us of as-yet-undone projects- a sure sign of Spring!

Regarding the following from your threadstarter, which hasn't yet been addressed as far as I can see:

Quote:
My TV (2009 Honda Element) has the round connector for the trailer lights. I remember someone saying, "that's good! you can add brakes" when they saw that. I don't understand what they meant though.

The round connector might be wired for brakes, or it may only have its light connections powered up. Easy preliminary check is to just count the wires coming out the back of the plug and disappearing into the car. If six or seven, you're in luck. Probably means the P.O. had a controller up front somewhere and just took it with them. You MIGHT even have a charge line for your battery!

If only the lights are powered up, you'll have to start from scratch there; but no point going into it until we know for sure.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:46 AM   #18

New Hampshire
Today is the day we start on the brakes install. first we are just going to jack up the Scamp, set it on blocks, and remove the wheels and check what is actually there. If everything goes ok we should be able to confirm the diameter of the spindles and then order the brakes. Hubby likes the brake kit someone pointed me to on eBay, so we will probably go with them. Add Brakes to Your Trailer camper Snowmobile 7" 5x4 5 | eBay
Old 05-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #19

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Go with Dexter Nev-R-Adjust I changed to them a couple of years ago and they are worth the money.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #20

New Hampshire
I don't think the make those Dexters in 7", but thanks for the suggestion.

Tags
brakes