New 13' Scamp Owners (ball hitch ?) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
Massachusetts
New 13' Scamp Owners (ball hitch ?)

Hi all, things went smoothly this weekend and we bought ourselves a 1983 13' Scamp (the one listed by Jessica in Vermont). We are pretty excited and spent Sunday assessing and creating the TODO list to get it ready for our planned 3 month trip next summer.

I am sure I will have plenty of questions for you guys but my first is about the ball hitch I bought. I ended up installing a Class II hitch Saturday morning (right before we picked up the Scamp). The ball hitch that the U-Haul website recommended was a class III with, I think, a 1 3/4" drop. Looks like a very strong ball hitch. The problem is that our little 2wd S-10 truck does not sit high enough for this hitch and the Scamp tilts down some. I think if I turned the ball hitch over it would probably be good. Is it ok to do this or should I buy a different hitch?
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You are looking for level or a slight nose down tilt. You can try flipping it but that will be a 3.5" change. After a day or two Uhaul might exchange it, or buying the right size drop should not be all that expensive.
I personally have a few different sizes of drop. It allows me to tow a variety of things. Once you have a hitch, you may be surprised at what you tow.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When I changed the axle on my Scamp and went from 13" tires to 15" tires, I flipped the "stinger" from a drop to an up. Also bought a 6000# ball from U-haul and they installed it (I didn't have a torque wrench) for free! Scamp tows nearly perfectly level now. Hope it works out for you as well.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I moved this to the Towing forum-maybe it will get more looks here.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #5

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Yes, it is perfectly fine to flip the ball mount over. You'll notice that mose ball mounts are listed with both a rise and drop rating, depending on which way you use it. Just make sure you don't have the nose of the Scamp angles up much, if at all... that wouldn't be good under hard braking.

Make sure your ball is properly torqued onto the ball mount.

Happy Scamping! We (the wife, the baby, and I) are going on our first 'real' camping trip with our 12' Scamp this weekend!
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp