New Axel Suggestion for '78 Boler 1700 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #1

Name: Gregory
Trailer: Boler 1700
Ontario
New Axel Suggestion for '78 Boler 1700

Hi folks. Just had our big Boler delivered today... dragged out of a partially frozen field.
While it's apparent, the trailer will need a total renovation, the first issue (I think) is replacing the axle. I was under the impression that this trailer would have been built with a torsion axle, but upon inspection, I've realized it has leaf springs. The tires need replacing (as I'm sure the rest of the drivetrain does).
I'm thinking I should install an original spec. axel, but don't know what that would be, as I'm reading so many threads, but they all seem to be about the 13' Boler or other brands.
I'm sure the leaf springs were a later addition, but perhaps I'm wrong.
If anyone can offer some advice, I'd be more than receptive. A local trailer company has offered to order what I need, but I don't want to get the order wrong... so any tips would be so helpful.

Greg
Greg Dickison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:10 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Assuming you do not plan to install the replacement axle, step 1 is find a professional that will do the work for you. That pro is going to have a lot of ideas, feedback, and suggestions.

If you plan to do yourself, whatever the trailer had originally, it has what it has now. Leaf spring axles are a different design than torsion axles, and replacement is different too. Nothing wrong with either. With a leaf spring axle, the axle itself may be OK. Wheel bearings, brakes and leaf springs will not be OK. With a torsion axle, the entire axle will need replacement.

Around here, there are small companies that build and sell utility trailers. I would start there.

As to "original specs", realize a lot of the older trailers were underbuilt. I would not repeat any of those mistakes. Instead, get what is appropriate for the trailer. I'd take it out and get it weighed so you have some real information to start that process, if it is road worthy. Otherwise, I would rely on the "weights in the real world" database for an estimate.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #3

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
I don't think I would make a move away from the leaf springs, provided they were properly installed.

For some good advice, however, contact Paul Neumeister at Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister. He is knowledgeable and well experienced on Bolers, Trilliums, and the like.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:03 PM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
My 1700 came with a leaf spring axle as well. I don’t know if it’s original but the street side has left hand thread lug bolts so I know it’s old.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:04 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Greg, I think all Boler 1700's came standard with leaf springs. Also I believe they all had drop axles. If you decide to replace the axle, I would suggest replacing with a straight axle to achieve 4 to 6 inches more ground clearance.

I recently had the springs replaced on my Boler 1700, should have had the axle replaced at the same time. I will be replacing the axle with a straight axle soon.

I would recommend contacting Paul Neumeister in Sebringville for info on replacing the axle, etc. Paul replaced the axle on my Boler 13 and my Trillium 4500 with no problems at all.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #6

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1975 Triple E Surfside
Alberta
Registry
Princess Auto should have the right axle.. I would think that its a 3500 lb with ten inch brakes. ? Measure the springs center to center. Replace the bushings, bolts and spring hangers. Unless there is a broken leaf in one of the springs.. or they are badly rusted ... the the springs are normally fine. ( my opinion ). Old axles is another thing.. By replacing that you will gain new brakes, bearings and possibly get "eazy lube " .. Plus studs instead of left and right hand bolts. If it's really old..
Old 12-31-2020, 03:43 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I had to replace the leaf springs on my Boler 1700. One leaf was broken. The wrappers were gone. The bushings were worn out.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler