New Axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

Name: Jiggs
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
New Axle

I need to replace the axle in a 1977 13 ft Scamp. The professional trailer repair shop wants to put a straight axle and leaf spring under the trailer. Should I replace the existing torsion axle or should I follow the suggestion of the professional trailer shop? Advantages and/or disadvantages would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
Been considering the same thing for my 2003 17 SD Casita. Mine is welded in. Also A little heavier capacity, but concerned about a rougher ride an pop rivets. What kind of price difference?
Speedbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Jigs, I don’t know what part of Arizona you are in, but I had SPECTRAC Parts & Service (405 E. Baseline Rd. Gilbert Az) replace our 13’ Scamp’s axle with a Flexiride ruber torsion axle. This type of axle allows one to adjust the ride height as desired, because the control arms are adjustable on a splined axle by just taking one bolt out, pull the control arm off and adjust or clock it via splines on it and replace the pinch bolt. Great for when I wanted to take the Scamp off road to give more ground clearance. Rubber torsion axles give a smoother ride as each side is independent from the other, where as a straight or live axle will move on both sides because of the connection shared with the axle. No right or wrong with either, other than the above.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Jigs, I don’t know what part of Arizona you are in, but I had SPECTRAC Parts & Service (405 E. Baseline Rd. Gilbert Az) replace our 13’ Scamp’s axle with a Flexiride ruber torsion axle. This type of axle allows one to adjust the ride height as desired, because the control arms are adjustable on a splined axle by just taking one bolt out, pull the control arm off and adjust or clock it via splines on it and replace the pinch bolt. Great for when I wanted to take the Scamp off road to give more ground clearance. Rubber torsion axles give a smoother ride as each side is independent from the other, where as a straight or live axle will move on both sides because of the connection shared with the axle. No right or wrong with either, other than the above.
Dave & Paula
I agree with Dave for the very reasons he has stated.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #5

Name: Jiggs
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Dave & Paula
What model number is the Flexride axle? Did you order it with brakes? About how much did it cost? Did you order it directly from Flexiride or did the shop order it? What did it cost for the shop to install it? Thanks for the information.
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I out a flexiride on my 16' Scamp for the above reasons.
I called flexiride and had them make one for the weight of my trailer for a better and softer ride.
You can look at the AL-KO axle for the tag and call them for the exact dimensions.
It is usually riveted to the "triangularish" carry tube.
Your axle perhaps been changed, but my 1985 was original and dead as a hammer.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Jiggs, I had all the dimensions from another Scamp owner on this site that changed from old leading arm configuration to the newer style Scamps using the trailing arm configuration. I also had Spectrac do the axle build because of another wise posting, “if it comes out wrong, then the company making/installing it will have to make it right”. Spectrac did not make it per my supplied measurements as they had the original leading arm style to take off the Scamp and make a new one..... problem was somehow this caused the tires to rub on the inner fender wells, so THEY had to make another axle at no cost to me. This was several years ago, and I think the axle cost and installation was around $700.00. Give them a call to get accurate information and present costs.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #8

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
Brake problems Dexter axel

Had new Dexter axle installed on my 1979 Scamp at Scamp last year. Installed brake controller today and in a attempt to adjust brakes found the problem in picture. Adjustment hole is in line with horizontal torsion bar. Seems backing plate and/or brake assembly was installed improperly. I need help on fixing the situation. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
20180105_183655.jpg  
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Remove drum, unbolt your backer plate from the spindle flange, Rotate backer plate until the adjuster hole is down. Re install and re torque bolts then re install brake drum.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #10

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
Thanks Eddie. Will attempt the repair this afternoon.
A bit disheartening to drive over 500 miles to the factory for the new axle install and now find out this mistake.
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300, 1980 Scamp 16
Ohio
I put a Flexride on my 1975 Trillium 1300 and I love it. I can lower the unit to fit In my garage for winter storage. I’m about to do the same with my 1980 Scamp 16. One thing though, Flexride has a limited dealer network, so not every trailer shop will be able fix you up with one. The Flexride website has a listing of their approved shops.
Bobaton is offline   Reply With Quote