New style Scamp 5th wheel hitch? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Name: Gene
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 19
Washington
New style Scamp 5th wheel hitch?

Hello I recently bought a used Reese 5th wheel hitch that I plan to convert to use with my scamp. My question is does the factory hitch use a single steel plate bolted to the cross member or is it reinforced in any way. From the pictures on the Scamp website it looks like they double up the plate around the ball. Where do the safety chains attach at?
buff30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #2

Washington
This is what I am starting with.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4968.jpg   IMG_4969.jpg  

Old 01-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by buff30 View Post
Hello I recently bought a used Reese 5th wheel hitch that I plan to convert to use with my scamp. My question is does the factory hitch use a single steel plate bolted to the cross member or is it reinforced in any way. From the pictures on the Scamp website it looks like they double up the plate around the ball. Where do the safety chains attach at?
As I recall from my Scamp 19 days, the top of the hitch is a piece of 1/4-inch or 5/16-inch steel bolted to the top of the A-frame, with a small square piece of 1/4-inch (or 5/16-inch) steel welded to it where the ball is located. The small square is maybe 3 to 4 inches on each side. It serves to increase the thickness for the shank of the ball.
Sorry, while I did have the required safety chains I cannot remember for sure how or where they attached. Perhaps someone else can provide that information for you.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I happen to have pictures of the modification I made to the Scamp supplied Reese hitch. The plate on top of the Reese frame is 3/8 inch steel. As supplied it was attached with six 1/2 inch bolts. I took it off and cut off the left and right side diagonally and attached with the four bolts as shown. Four bolts and a smaller plate are adequate for the Scamp19 tongue weight of about 600 lbs and loaded weight of 3000 to 3500lbs, considering that the A-frame is designed for trailer weight up to 15000 lbs. (if I remember correctly).
The safety chains hook up to the holes that look slightly elongated, below and left and right of the ball.
On edit: That small square plate is 1/4 inch steel to help support the ball.
The 1/2 inch bolts and modified washers you see there are replacing the original pins. The bolts eliminate the play and rattling when not hooked up. That noise was driving me nuts!
Attached Thumbnails
P1020430.jpg   P1020431.jpg  

Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #5

Washington
Thank you both for the information. I think I am going to use a 3/8 plate with a second 3/8 plate for a doubler around the ball.

Paul did you cut the plate down for weight savings?
Old 01-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #6

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Scamp 19
Washington
Here are pictures of my factory hitch from scamp. The top plate is 3/8 inch and the chains hook through holes that go through the plate (might be overkill, but I'm good with that). Paul, I am also curious as to why you cut down the plate. I do agree that what you've done is more than adequate for a scamp. I do like the bolts in place of pins to cut down on the annoying hitch rattle.
Attached Thumbnails
20180113_102321.jpg   20180113_102440.jpg  

Wayne53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Weight savings

Yes, I cut the plate to reduce the weight, since I move the A-frame in and out of the bed quite a lot. The reduction is not much, about six pounds, but every bit helps. As a benefit, some small parts can live in that space under the ball mounting plate, for example the tennis ball that covers the greasy ball when not towing. I sent this idea to the Scamp salesman, Wayne. Don't know if they got interested.

Those bolts replacing the pins work well, but it just happens that the grooves in the Tacoma bed line up with the hardware perfectly. Otherwise some other device would have to be devised, but "there are many ways to skin a cat".

On edit: just remembered that by turning the top plate 180, I did not have to drill any new holes (lucky!)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp