New Tug - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Bought an 09 Toyota Tacoma 4cly will tow my 19 d Scamp I have found a respected RV dealer that sees no problem attaching a Scamp hitch on in composite bed of the Tacoma. He will make Gussets and attach the cross member . I also need to install the wiring and Brake controller. The Rv dealer told me to buy the wiring harness from Toyota that an after Market Harness will void my warranty.
I still want to get down and see Isaac M,s installation of his hitch it sounds like a great install. I am beginning to feel that all this hubbub about Scamp and Composite beds is Mostly coming from Scamp. I would never attach a Gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch directly to a bed of a truck. My F150 is attatched to the frame .

Hold on I know spring is on its way

Taylor the Sailor

Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Of course it is coming from Scamp -- They are the only ones using this hitch! Point is that if you drive to factory expecting Scamp to be ready to install a hitch in a composite bed, you will be disappointed because they won't.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #3

Registry
Actually Pete since first Posting I have found a better idea for a 5er hitch. Don on Yahoo Scampers used a 5th wheel base and rails, welded a cross channel and a receiver in the middle and used a 2'' Shocker hitch. I will try a straight 2" ball to start.
They sell 5th wheel hitchs for Composite Beds and you need to use the correct spacers and shims but it is being done. I want to have my bed clear when I am not towing. Also I am going to install air bags .
I will post pics when it is finished or anyone can find Dons post on Yahoo.
Time to get going on the projects. Spring will be here be for we know it.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I will post pics when it is finished or anyone can find Dons post on Yahoo.
I would, but YahooScampers software is clunky at best and even if I posted the links, only members of YahooScampers would be able to see it. Better to have you post your own pictures and information here.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
I would, but YahooScampers software is clunky at best and even if I posted the links, only members of YahooScampers would be able to see it. Better to have you post your own pictures and information here.
Clunky is a good discription,<difficult>. Anyway I have to go to sea tommorrow for a month or so. I will post pictures when I am done.
The Daffodills are down there waiting to poke there brave flowers out of the cold ground.