New wheels and tires... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #1

Name: Captain Longbelly
Trailer: Lots
Kentucky
New wheels and tires...

I searched some first and probably just missed the info...I purchased a Hunter Compact II

and need to replace the wheels and tires ASAP it currently wears ST165/80D13's ...what are most of you using in way of new tires? and I think maybe some new white spoked trailer wheels would look decent on it giving me the two steel wheels to clean up and use as spares...and found these by searching here
http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wh...a/AM3S120.html ....are most people still running 13 inch bias ply tires? or is there a bigger radial trailer tire that is being used with success? any info and links would be great as I need to get new tires soon.
KyMoonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I using Maxxis Radial M8008 in 175/80-13 on my Compact Jr and have been very happy with them.

New Hubcaps Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 10-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If this were my trailer, I'd cleanup and paint the rims I had and find some baby moons and trim rings to fit the rims.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The choice of bias vs. radial tires will open a whole bag of opinions, including mine.
There is some evidence that bias ply tires, because of stiffer sidewalls, on single axle trailers, MAY be less susceptible to sway, but there appears to be no real consensus on that.

That said, I have had both types on my several 13' FGRV's and the tire's construction didn't seem to be a factor in stability.

My Hunter has ST175/80R13 tires and tows without sway.

As far as getting larger tires, that's a\mostly a matter of wheel well clearance but remember, if you are putting your Hunter in a garage you may lose the roof clearance you need. If you want more ground clearance, swapping to a straight axle (and adding brakes) is a better choice.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires