Newbie needs Tow Vehicle help - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Please look up reliability of Chrysler vans.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #42

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Make sure any van you buy has the heavy duty cooling and self leveling rear shocks.
(large diameter shock tubes)
I bought mine that was a defined depreciation Hertz rental and all if theirs were basically towing equipped w/o the hitch and wiring.
I think all of the 2016 were as well.
The stow and go seats are the answer to how do I get that 4 X 8 sheet of something back from the big box store.
Over the (many) years I have owned several and the one before this had over 280,000 miles on it before my daughter finally killed it.
It did have transmission work done under warranty and AC work done on it.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
To save time just buy a Diesel 3/4 ton dually, it will tow the 13' trailer.
Anything less and someone will say you are trying to kill yourself and everyone you share the road with

Problem is you would have the chore of driving the thing, trying to park it, putting up with the smell, paying the extra maintenance, leaving it outside at home 'cause it won't fit in the garage... Oh! and paying twice as much for it as you would for an appropriate TV.
All that and no budget left for camping!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Make sure any van you buy has the heavy duty cooling and self leveling rear shocks...
Those particular requirements are unique to the Chrysler products. Each manufacturer has its own towing requirements. Honda, for example, only requires the addition of a heavy duty transmission cooler to earn the maximum 3500# tow rating on the Odyssey minivan (2011 and newer).
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #45

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of NC/SW Desert of UT
Registry
I would pass on the 1500 pound max tow vehicles out there and step up the the 3000 pounds +/- tow range. I'd include the 2,700 pound tow rated Subaru Outback in that class.

My wife's car is a Honda Element. We love the Element (1500 pound tow rating). But it is under powered with NO trailer, I can't imagine pulling a small camper behind it like our Trillium 1300. If the Element ever dies, we will probably replace it with an Outback. Meantime, my vehicle continues to be a truck, in my case an F150, so we have plenty of tow capacity for our Escape 19 and the Trillium too.

Now to be fair, we live in a hilly area. I can't go more than a block from our home without facing a serious hill, which makes bicycling challenging, and towing as well. So regardless of where we go camping, seems like I either have to pull the Saluda grade, or I-40 through the Smokey Mountains. Neither would be enjoyable with a marginal tow vehicle.

Heavy duty transmission cooler is always a good idea. Honda Odyssey would be a fine choice.

Camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway is very nice, low cost, and no hookups. Smallish sites too, where a Scamp 13 would be a fine choice. Elevations, at least at my end of the parkway, is high enough where AC is not needed.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #46

Name: Tim
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
My sister has pulled a 2016 T@b ( no bath, two 6 volt batteries, storage pod) with a base model 2016 Subaru Outback (both purchased new @ about $25K each). She been all over the west for two years. From Seattle to Dallas, Minnesota to So. California with no mechanical priblems, only routine maintenance. Next summer, Alaska.
Up2speed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #47

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
Yeah, the Smoky and Blue Ridge Mountains are near the top of my travel list once I get some experience with campers. I definitely want a TV that I could trust to do those trips.
I can't wait to start, but want to do it right so I'll continue to live on Auto Trader and Carmax until I find what I need.
And who knows! Maybe I'll find a used camper and with the money I saved, go out and get one of those big red tractor rigs for a TV like posted earlier! I'll have to park it at Floyd's house though.<VBG>
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #48

How about RCA instead of TV?
Recreational Camper Automobile.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 PM   #49

Alabama
I want to sincerely thank every one of you for your help and advice.
I think I have a grasp on what I need now.

1.The vehicle should be in the 3000# to 3500# tow rate range to be on the safe side but not overkill.
2. A 6 cylinder is a good overall choice for power. (but I will have to sacrifice gas mileage).

For add-on's I need:
1. 7 pin hitch
2. brake controller
3. a 2" ball
Will I need a sway bar?

I guess that's it! If you see something I left off the add-on list, please let me know.
Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2018, 07:18 AM   #50

Arizona
Registry
Need a sway bar? No. But it doesn't hurt to put one on anyway. It's a back-up safety measure that only comes into play in an unusual situation- swerving to avoid debris, for example, or gusty side winds.

It should never be used to correct an unstable trailer with a tendency to sway. That is usually caused by improper weight distribution- too much weight at the back- and is resolved by reloading the trailer with heavier cargo forward.

Once the trailer is stable, then hook up a sway bar for additional safety if desired.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #51

Registry
Rarely will you need a sway bar for a Scamp 13. I can’t imagine it.

You will benefit from tow mirrors as well. My truck has a back up camera that is aimed towards the hitch ball. Once I realized what I was looking at, it has made hooking up solo a snap. Before it was in and out of the truck multiple times to get just right.

A well maintained high mileage vehicle can be a real bargain. Buyers shy away from them which pushes prices down. Our current vehicles run great, one has 160,000 miles, the other has 105,000 miles. Heck even my motorcycle has 135,000 miles on it. The key is a great inspection and excellent maintenance. A reliable brand and model also helps. I have a friend with 362,000 miles on his Subaru Outback. He bought it for next to nothing with 250,000 miles on it, and has put another 112,000 miles on it. Talk about cheap miles!

Study up on tongue weight and sway. It’s a big mistake some people make. They’ll hang a bike rack and two bikes on the back of their trailer reducing tongue weight a lot. Or they will pull a trailer where the tongue is high (trailer tipped up), reducing tongue weight. Any size trailer can develop sway, even small ones, and serious sway can cause crashes.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #52

Alabama
Solid info and added to my list.
Thanks again Jon and Bill.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #53

Trailer: Boler
A friend of mine just bought a Honda Ridgeline and its a great vehicle - that or the Honda Pilot would be a great tow vehicle for the Scamp. Both are available in AWD which can be very handy in heavy rain and muddy campgrounds.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #54

Name: Hal
Trailer: 2012 13’ Scamp - a new 2019 next spring !
Oregon
I tow with a 4 cylinder 2015 Subaru Outback - perfect for the 13' Scamp I own . Trailer brakes are a waste of money - you don't need them !
macnmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnmore View Post
I tow with a 4 cylinder 2015 Subaru Outback - perfect for the 13' Scamp I own . Trailer brakes are a waste of money - you don't need them !

You won't be able to type that paragraph when you are paralysed from the neck down after your brakes fade and you roll though that stop sign into the path of a semi.
You'll also likely reconsider when you get the bill for a premature brake job on that Outback.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #56

Registry
Quote:

They are a waste until you need them. Kind of like a seat belt or air bags. If you never crash, you won't ever need any of them. But while you are crashing, its too late to buckle up, or get air bags installed. Trailer brakes are always a plus, and in an emergency situation, a huge plus. Tow vehicle brakes are designed to properly stop the vehicle by itself, and not the added load of a tow behind.

Ask Subaru how much "extra braking" they build into their car design?
Old 12-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #57

Arizona
Registry
Newbie needs Tow Vehicle help

Quote:
The problem is no matter how safely and conservatively you drive, there is someone else out there who will do something dumb. There are also "acts of God," like the deer that runs across the road or the rock that falls from a road cut.

I was towing in congested SoCal freeway traffic just a couple of exits from our beach destination when a bright yellow Porsche sports car cuts into my lane and immediately brakes hard in order to cut across the gore into the exit they just missed. A bonehead move for which I might well be held liable, not to mention spoiling our long-awaited vacation. Full-on braking barely averted a rear-end collision.

I can't prove that trailer brakes saved the day and the trip, but that's what they're for, and I was glad I had them that day.

I haven't experienced a serious sway incident, such as might happen in an emergency avoidance maneuver, but trailer brakes are the best hope of recovering control then, too.

The state of California requires trailer brakes over 1500#. Subaru specifies them over 1000#.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #58

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Get the v6. Not only for hills but for maneuvering in traffic. Plus itís nice even when you atenít towing. Same reasons.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #59

Name: Sherri
Trailer: in the market
TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Hale View Post
I will be ordering a Scamp 13' with no bath room (Layout #1). I have not been able to find a used one so will have to get a new one.
I drive a Honda Fit so I will be trading in my car for a vehicle that can tow the camper.
Can anyone give me advice on what vehicles to look for?
I think I will need a 6 cylinder vehicle but that is as far as I have come on what to look for.
I would love to have a Toyota truck, but I cannot afford it.
What are good choices in 6 cylinder trucks and SUVs that are in the lower price range?
Also, will I need to get electric brakes on the 13' Scamp?

I have never towed a camper before so I am really out of my depth here. I plan on touring the south and southeast. There will be some hills, like in the Blue Ridge Parkway, if that helps in advising what TV would do the job.
I have a 13 ft Casita with a bathroom... I tow with a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. with no problems. Good Luck
Sherri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #60

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
They are a waste until you need them. Kind of like a seat belt or air bags. If you never crash, you won't ever need any of them. But while you are crashing, its too late to buckle up, or get air bags installed. Trailer brakes are always a plus, and in an emergency situation, a huge plus. Tow vehicle brakes are designed to properly stop the vehicle by itself, and not the added load of a tow behind.

Ask Subaru how much "extra braking" they build into their car design?

Sure hope trailer brakes are not like airbags, which kill between 2500 and 3000 people per year and injure many thousands more. Protected by a law which effectively prevents reporting those deaths and injuries because only the NHTSA is allowed to make that determination and they won't.
Death, serious chemical burns,blindness, broken fingers and other bones, even shrapnel from defective or deteriorated airbags are common occurrences as the result of even low speed deployment.
The Takata debacle alone has cost BILLIONS in liability and BILLIONS more in recalls across the auto industry...At best, objective judgement reveals them to be a "mixed bag" for safety.

Get the brakes though, they really help reduce stopping distances, they reduce wear on the tow vehicle brakes, and they often return more than their initial cost upon resale.
INCREASE FOLLOWING DISTANCE AND REDUCE SPEED WHEN TOWING.
And Oh!... put down the phone and pay attention to traffic when driving.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote