Newbie needs Tow Vehicle help - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #61
VHP

Name: VP
Trailer: In the market
California
what about an RV?

I recently towed a scamp 13 with my 2005 Toyota matrix XR. It was not a fun experience. I wasn't going very fast, pretty much on the right lanes. Downshifted on up hills. Was in rush hour traffic most of the way. Trailer has brakes but they were not hooked up. My matrix's underbody spoiler made the hitch drawbar even lower to the ground. I lightly scraped the ground just exiting a driveway. The signal lights didn't seem bright enough, since two car want to run into me even though I signaled over 7 seconds both times. Going over bumps and big dips were rattling to the scamp and my mentality. It was hard trying to find more decent lane with less bumps in rush hour. When i did get home, backing in the trailer onto the driveway was a bitc*, excuse my French. I would say a more powerful TV, one with brake controller, with higher ground clearance, would have made towing more fun. There are so many cheap used vehicle on Craigslist that would have made towing so much easier. But for traveling the country, I think a used RV would be so much more fun to drive around. A new one would definitely be even better, if you got the cash.
VHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #62

Trailer: Casita 13 ft Deluxe
Small tow

With 5 speed transmission, I have 3 speeds that will do 60mph. Just another way of seeing things.
Attached Thumbnails
D062766E-B9BA-4669-B2FD-DB4182212387.jpeg  
dennis k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #63
TWH

Name: Tim
Trailer: in the market
Ohio
If you like the Frontier, try the Honda Ridgeline Pick Up Truck. You get the utility of a light truck with the comfortable ride of a car. You sit up a little higher for better visibility when driving. It has a large locking Trunk beneath the pick up bed where you can securely (lock) store your generator and a can of gas so you don't have fumes inside your tow vehicle or trailer. That large storage trunk also holds your spare tire so it stays clean and is easily available when you need it. See this showing the dual action door, trunk & spare tire storage. This video is of a new model but it's the same design you'll find starting in the first year of the Ridgeline, 2006. If you get a chance, test drive one just to see how it feels. With Honda reliability I would not worry too much about mileage. Look for something with less than 125,000 miles on the odometer and you have a very good chance of another 125,000 miles without issues other than maintenance. Use the website cargurus to search. I searched 2006 to 2010 with less than 125K miles, RTL trim level, one owner, no accidents, no salvage history, no Fleet ownership and there are lots of great options on the first page of 2006 and 2007 Ridgeline from $10K to $13K

You did not mention your price range but you said you ruled out the Pilot which I think is priced about the same as the Ridgeline for similar Model Year and Mileage. If you told us your price range we might able to offer better insight on specific Brand/Model/Year/Mileage combinations that also fit your budget.

Good luck with your search and have a great time when you finally get on the road with your Scamp!!
TWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #64

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I was towing a tent trailer ( no brakes ) with my Subaru when I experienced the brake fade I describe, despite gearing down the whole way down the hill and using the brakes as little as possible. Had the family in the car. Damn glad there wasn't a semi coming when I got to the intersection with the flashing red light.
I'd just had new brake pads installed when, on another occasion I had to brake to avoid rear ending a slow moving semi heading down hill. My mechanic gladly took my $400 because the brakes needed redoing as I had "glazed" the brakes.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #65

Name: Greg
Trailer: Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
We tow a 13í Trillium with a 2005 Matrix XRS and I love it, but you have to drive it like you are driving a big rig. Plan ahead, use your gears, and donít expect to see the fast lane. However, you are better off having too much tow vehicle versus not enough, and not everyone enjoys downshifting for hills. You should make sure that the rig you choose is rated to tow a comfortable amount more than your trailer weighs fully loaded for camping. Donít forget that the weight of the cargo in the tow vehicle will affect the towing capacity.
Greg and Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #66

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
we love our Honda Ridgeline

Hello,
We tow a 14' Parkliner with our used 2009 Honda Ridgeline and have been pleased with the handling. You hardly know you are towing anything. The trailer brakes are really only needed to preserve the truck brakes IMO.
Many good choices out there for you. Our second choice would have been a used Honda Pilot with towing package but we could not find a reasonably priced one.
Best luck to you.
PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #67

Done with care, towing with small vehicle can be safe, many in Europe do it. I also tow with a Matrix - a Compact Jr. I have “competition” brakes and electrics on the trailer - stopping is important
Old 12-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #68

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Sure hope trailer brakes are not like airbags, which kill between 2500 and 3000 people per year and injure many thousands more. Protected by a law which effectively prevents reporting those deaths and injuries because only the NHTSA is allowed to make that determination and they won't.
Death, serious chemical burns,blindness, broken fingers and other bones, even shrapnel from defective or deteriorated airbags are common occurrences as the result of even low speed deployment.
The Takata debacle alone has cost BILLIONS in liability and BILLIONS more in recalls across the auto industry...At best, objective judgement reveals them to be a "mixed bag" for safety.

Get the brakes though, they really help reduce stopping distances, they reduce wear on the tow vehicle brakes, and they often return more than their initial cost upon resale.
INCREASE FOLLOWING DISTANCE AND REDUCE SPEED WHEN TOWING.
And Oh!... put down the phone and pay attention to traffic when driving.
I remember years back the same sentiments and numbers being expressed when seat belts became mandatory !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #69

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Scamp
TN
We have a scamp 13 without bathroom and love it. We tow with dodge durango awd v6. Scamp has brakes. It is a great setup, the durango giving us room the scamp brakes enable the two vehicles to brake as one unit, feeling very solid and secure.
Ron on the Plateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #70

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Scamp
TN
We have a 13 scamp no bathroom, love it. We have brakes on the scamp, makes the stopping so much more solid and secure. We pull with dodge durango awd v6 great vehicle, makes for a pleasure to pull and drive
Ron on the Plateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #71

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I remember years back the same sentiments and numbers being expressed when seat belts became mandatory !!

It was not I who expressed such sentiments, nor is it I who now draws the parallel.

Where was the Seatbelt/TAKATA parallel?
At least it is clear that brakes are less controversial
(which was the point)

I remember years back when every authority claimed that Airbags would obviate the need for seat belts... Pure intentional nonsense.

Seat belts have been greatly improved since they were dangerous, still along with much improved seat belts, we have sometimes more than 10 airbags per vehicle and climbing....

Next stop, SECUREFOAM!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #72

Iím sorry to complicate matters, but there are very inexpensive 13í trailers out there ($800-1,000) and the only ďsafetyĒ matter is wheel bearings and tires.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #73

Registry
Quote:
Would you feel safe driving a 1964 car with two outboard front seat seatbelts, no shoulder harness, solid steering column, and dangerously ineffective brakes?
On two door cars, the seat backs were not even latched, thus allowing an unrestrained back seat passenger to KILL those in the front seat by flying forward on impact, the seat belt breaking the front seat person's pelvis or spine and destroying internal organs.

Some of those early complaints may have had some merit!
Without a healthy skepticism we may not have the truly effective restraint systems we have today.

But we digress!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #74

NW Wisconsin
Merry Christmas Floyd !!!!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #75

Registry
Quote:
Merry Christmas Floyd !!!!
Same to you and yours! And to all a good night!
Old 12-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #76

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Now that sounds to me a lot like when a Southerner says to you, "Well, bless your heart!"

Roughly translated, that means I'm being nice, but I'm thinking you're an idiot!

Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #77

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Now that sounds to me a lot like when a Southerner says to you, "Well, bless your heart!"

Roughly translated, that means I'm being nice, but I'm thinking you're an idiot!

No , I meant exactly what I said . “MERRY CHRISTMAS” !
Floyd and I have conversed on this forum , by PM’s , at rallys and over the phone . I have nothing but respect for him .
In many areas he’s forgot more than I will ever know
Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #78

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I towed a good but with a "Small" car a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI rated at 1800 KG and 100 KG pin weight and it did OK with the added stability module (required) and Westfalia hitch and P3 brake controller.
But the Town and Country I replaced it with when the TDIs were recalled does a better and more comfortable job and the cost is if not lower, no higher.
More room to store stuff in the van and more stable with the WDH.
Sometimes I think that the mini van has a higher payload than a lot of pickups, but I am too lazy to check that out.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #79

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
How long will it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A wee moderator note. Please use real words in the title, as a TV is primarily known as a television and I came in here to recommend a Samsung.

BTW, fixed the title.
How long will it be before Samsung comes out with a tow vehicle? My main TV is a 50-inch Visio: the Yugo of tow vehicles.

As for recommendations, I believe it's always better to buy something you can grow into, rather than buying something you might grow quickly out of...

So, a tow vehicle that has power that you might never need is better than a tow vehicle that keeps you wishing you had a little more power. Brakes fall under the same category: better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

FYI: My tow vehicle is a 2007 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab with a 4 liter engine and 5 speed auto trans, which I owned before buying my Scamp and had no intention of buying a camp trailer at the time. It tows my 13ft Scamp as if it wasn't there.

There are times, though, that I think about having a hitch installed on my C5 Corvette. It certainly wouldn't lack for power.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #80

Name: Dave (AKA John)
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19'. Used to have a 2005 Scamp 16'.
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post

There are times, though, that I think about having a hitch installed on my C5 Corvette. It certainly wouldn't lack for power.

Harold
You mean like this Corvette spotted at the Boler 50th anniversary?
Attached Thumbnails
Corvette.jpg  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote