Nissan vs. Dodge Ram Dually to tow Egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Nissan vs. Dodge Ram Dually to tow Egg

Hi all,

For our relatively flat area of Florida I've found our Nissan Frontier 4 Cyl does a good enough job of towing EggCamper. For an upcoming trip in state I can use Mom's Dodge Ram Cummins Dual Wheel. She has a brake controller, ball likely a bit higher than mine.

I don't need the bigger truck for the trip but thought I could learn - experience the difference in towing with a larger truck. If we ever decide to go to Cherokee or Hiawassee I would need the bigger truck so this could be a test run.

Besides brake controller and hitch height - what should I pay attention to? Advice appreciated - still newbie to towing.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Egg Rainbow.JPG  
Old 10-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
One truck is too small, and the other one is too big.

Too bad she doesn't have a Ram 1500 to loan you.

The 3500 Ram dually is not something one needs to get used to, or practice in for a later truck purchase. Extremely stiff suspension, very wide. But it will go up any hill, at any speed you wish, and pass others while doing it.

The brake controller might tip the scales toward the Ram.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Get the trailer tongue level. Will probably need a different receiver hitch.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #4

Florida
Registry
Thanks John and Bill -

I have a brake controller on Nissan too. And the hills are minimal. So maybe I’ll stick with my truck. Dad’s Dodge Ram is smaller but stick shift, Cummins with over 700,000 miles on it. Too tricky vs. Mom’s automatic
Old 10-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Thanks John and Bill -

"So maybe I’ll stick with my truck." Good plan.

"Cummins with over 700,000 miles on it." Cummins. Gotta love 'em
Old 10-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyNorthFL View Post
Thanks John and Bill -

I have a brake controller on Nissan too. And the hills are minimal. So maybe I’ll stick with my truck. Dad’s Dodge Ram is smaller but stick shift, Cummins with over 700,000 miles on it. Too tricky vs. Mom’s automatic
What year is that truck?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #7

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
What year is that truck?
Dad has 1991 Dodge D250 and that is the one with over 700,000 miles on it. Mom’s Dodge 3500 is a ‘98 with lower mileage- would be perfect for a Bigfoot- had a truck camper on it when she bought it.

I like my Nissan Frontier- but will consider an EcoDiesel Dodge 1500 when time comes... Then we’ll have a complete set
Old 10-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #8

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Dodge dually? How many campers did you say you wanted to pull at once. Seriously I see them pulling two and three Airstreams down I-75 all the time.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #9

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Frye View Post
Dodge dually? How many campers did you say you wanted to pull at once. Seriously I see them pulling two and three Airstreams down I-75 all the time.
Hmmm - no Airstreams- was tempted by an Avion for sale by my folks place. If I found a 5th wheel Bigfoot I’d borrow Mom’s truck for sure
Old 10-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Goldilocks says, “Where’s my third choice?” [emoji6]
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:08 PM   #11

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Goldilocks says, “Where’s my third choice?” [emoji6]
Let's just say it's a good thing we live in town. I've got the EggCamper in the driveway but that is the limit. If we had a ranchette in the country who knows what kind of trouble I would get into.

Well maybe I do know. My parents settled on a few acres in GA and have two RVs and three trucks... Two rescue dogs, three cats and thankfully a barn so there was someplace for me to put the tandem kayak
Old 10-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
We had a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel when we were towing a 25’ bumper pull Toyhauler with our Jeep Wrangler inside, but also used it to pull our 13’ Scamp. The truck actually got better milage towing the Scamp than going solo....must have had a better slip stream with the Scamp, as milage went up from 21mpg to 22mpg.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #13

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
For the weight of your camper a good V6 SUV or truck may be best suited. Definitely, if you use the big Dodge Ram a coupler that levels the trailer would work best. The main problem with pulling the Egg Camper with the 4 cylinder truck is the strain it will place on the transmission. Florida is not 100% flat, some of the Central area has some considerable grades.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #14

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxDan View Post
For the weight of your camper a good V6 SUV or truck may be best suited. Definitely, if you use the big Dodge Ram a coupler that levels the trailer would work best. The main problem with pulling the Egg Camper with the 4 cylinder truck is the strain it will place on the transmission. Florida is not 100% flat, some of the Central area has some considerable grades.
Thanks to Dan and all who weighed in. It may take a bit but I'll trade up in truck size next time I'm in market. I'll check into a leveling coupler too in case I need Mom"s Dodge 3500 for a trip. Having hauled it home from North GA I agree the 4 cylinder lacks the power for grades.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #15

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Transmission

I think most 4 cylinder pickups are rated between 1500 ans 2000#. The main problem would be overheating the automatic transmission. For example back in 2005 I was moving from Jax to Dunnellon when I had an Aerostar van with a utility trailer in back. The load would be about 2500 on the trailer and another 700 in the van. The day was 95 degrees and I saw the temperature rise which called for a down shift. The transmission was checked after and the fluid was changed. That time I dodged a bullet. For my Casita I tow with a GMC Envoy Denali sporting a 320 HP V8 and a towing package standard, it works well anywhere. The closest to the Envoy now would be a Yukon or a Chev Tahoe. What I like there is the fuel management of the 5.3L V8. On the highway not towing I get 23 to 24 mpg and towing nets me 16. Most V6 trucks and SUV's struggle to get 16 towing unless they are diesel. Good luck.

Hope to see you at one of the rallies coming up.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #16

Name: Mary
Trailer: Looking....
Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyNorthFL View Post
Thanks John and Bill -

Actually, the 1500 would be easier. They're actually easier to shift than gas with a stick. Revs are lower, and no need hurry shifting. The Cummins will run all day and and nite, no biggie.
If it has 700 on or, he's taken care of it, will go over 1000 easy.
The 3500 is wider than your trailer.
Krashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #17

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashdragon View Post
Actually, the 1500 would be easier. They're actually easier to shift than gas with a stick. Revs are lower, and no need hurry shifting. The Cummins will run all day and and nite, no biggie.
If it has 700 on or, he's taken care of it, will go over 1000 easy.
The 3500 is wider than your trailer.
Dad's truck is 29 years old, held together with steel plates and duct tape. The body is gonna fall off one day and the Cummings engine will still be running
Growing up - diesel stick shift vehicles were most of what we had and drove -but a truck of that age and wear is finicky to drive if you don't know how to finesse it.

From the advice - Mom's 3500 is best suited for another truck camper - maybe a Bigfoot. Who knows what the future holds... More trucks, more trailers, maybe even a project trailer