Nitrogen tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Nitrogen tires

Truth or hype??
POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems
Old 09-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I prefer BS. That's the basic stuff that comes out of my air compressor. Doesn't require the cute little green caps that come on N2 filled tires. Can always get the same BS out of the 12v compressor I carry in my truck. I become concerned if the tires become flat on the lower side. Then I apply more BS and find a tire dealer who is more knowledgeable.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Brian, I prefer BS also as I use my air compressor to fill my tires.

Saw a documentary on TV where they explained why they use nitrogen in airliner tires. I don't have an airliner so I will stick with the BS.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Many of our 4 wheel drive club members use this system, as they can quickly refill their 35-38" tires from 8 psi (trail pressure) to 30 psi (street pressure). They are able to do all 4 tires about 4-6 times before they need to get the tank refilled with CO2 NOT NITROGEN.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #5

Trailer:
I always use a custom gas mix which is mostly (78%) Nitrogen. It has a handy short name - "air".
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
I always use a custom gas mix which is mostly (78%) Nitrogen. It has a handy short name - "air".
Where do you get this? Is it expensive? Is it stable enough to be shipped?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #7

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
We can FedEx ground it to you.
Comes in handy 1 Qt bags
Simply open the bag to allow it to 'breath' then pour it out near the inlet to your compressor. Discounts for bulk orders.
Specify 'morning' or 'afternoon' when ordering.

WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #8

Trailer:
Quote:
I'm sorry if I tempted you with this gas mix I use. I am in Britain and so we drive on the left side of the road - I think it is clear that putting left-handed gas mix in the tyres of a vehicle driving on the right side of the road would be extremely dangerous. If you are lucky the vehicle will just pull to one side, though it may want to go round in circles faster than your dog chasing its tail. (However at least your vehicle won't bark.)

Some foolhardy types will tell you (a) you can tow up to ten times the manufacturers towing recommendation and (b) if you put left-handed gas mix in your tyres and then rotate them side-to-side before driving on the right, you will be OK - but do not be taken in.

Anyway, look on the bright side, at least I'm in the northern hemisphere - just think what an Australian (drive on the left, southern hemisphere) gas mix would do.....
Old 09-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Ah... the dreaded coriolis effect. Already plays (alleged) havoc with water going down the "loo", I shudder to think about the tire consequences. Perhaps if they drove backwards everywhere.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The whole nitrogen thing is marketing hype. Get dry air, and you're good to go. I didn't read every word of the Power Tank material, but it looks very good - the test is great.

My latest van tires came filled with nitrogen, and pretty green caps. That's nice; I top them up with air.

Quote:

Quote:
I am in Britain and so we drive on the left side of the road - I think it is clear that putting left-handed gas mix in the tyres of a vehicle driving on the right side of the road would be extremely dangerous...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #11

Trailer:
My newspaper's arty weekend magazine had an article about a book of US gas station photos and this photo seemed relevant:
Attached Thumbnails
gas.jpg  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... It's my understanding that Nitrogen molecules are larger than Oxygen ones so less likely to slip out of aluminium rims. When I replaced my tires I didn't have to pay extra for the "Hot air"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #13

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
My DW Nissan came with nitrogen filled tires. First thing I did is replace with good ole air. Like said before it's all hipe.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
The problem I see with all you guys is Nitrogen. I use Helium and my gasoline efficiency performance has improved 22%. I seem to glide across the roads now. Not sure about what to do when winter comes.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
The problem I see with all you guys is Nitrogen. I use Helium and my gasoline efficiency performance has improved 22%. I seem to glide across the roads now. Not sure about what to do when winter comes.
Sure, but don't you have to tether it when parked so it doesn't float off into the sky?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
No I just fill them with Nitrogen after I get out of the car and then before I leave it fill them back up with Helium. Got it down to less than 30 minute process.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
No I just fill them with Nitrogen after I get out of the car and then before I leave it fill them back up with Helium. Got it down to less than 30 minute process.
Of course! What was I thinking?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I'm sorry if I tempted you with this gas mix I use. I am in Britain and so we drive on the left side of the road - I think it is clear that putting left-handed gas mix in the tyres of a vehicle driving on the right side of the road would be extremely dangerous. If you are lucky the vehicle will just pull to one side, though it may want to go round in circles faster than your dog chasing its tail. (However at least your vehicle won't bark.)

Some foolhardy types will tell you (a) you can tow up to ten times the manufacturers towing recommendation and (b) if you put left-handed gas mix in your tyres and then rotate them side-to-side before driving on the right, you will be OK - but do not be taken in.

Anyway, look on the bright side, at least I'm in the northern hemisphere - just think what an Australian (drive on the left, southern hemisphere) gas mix would do.....

Thanks Andrew for the giggle of the day!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #19

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
If I was going to choose a specific, mono-atomic gas to fill my tires with, I wouldn't pick Nitrogen, I wouldn't pick Helium. I'd pick Argon.

First, Argon wouldn't expand as much when the tire gets hot, so my "hot" and "cold" tire pressures would remain much the same. Unlike Nitrogen, which is fairly inert in its gaseous state, Argon is completely inert, and won't react with rubber or anything else. Period.

Next, consider the name. Ar-gon. What a great name, almost like a PR firm dreamt it up as a version of "Air-Gone."

"Next time you pump up, be sure to pump it with Argon™."

Finally, Argon is a Nobel Gas. And if there's anyone who deserves a Nobel Ride, it's me.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
I agree the nitrogen claims are BS.

However, with cooler weather coming, you should always remember the make the change over from "summer air" in you tires to "winter air".

Spanke

Tags
tires