No brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 07:37 PM   #1

Name: Tracy
Trailer: Play mor 2
Massachusetts
No brakes

i am restoring a 1983 playmor fiberglass 13 foot camper, this is a embarrassing question, but is it possible there are no brakes on this trailer? No available manual and not a lot online about these models. Thanks for any input , best Tracy
TadelSignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 PM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Not a silly question at all. You probably don't have brakes. Some schools of thought are that they are unnecessary in a trailer that small.

I didn't attend that school, so I added brakes.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:31 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadelSignore View Post
i am restoring a 1983 playmor fiberglass 13 foot camper, this is a embarrassing question, but is it possible there are no brakes on this trailer? No available manual and not a lot online about these models. Thanks for any input , best Tracy
Well Tracy your TT may not have brakes but if you look behind the rims and see a blue wire going into the back side of the wheel that indicates brakes. If no wire but you see a square plate with 4 holes that means the axle is set up for brakes, if no plate, no brakes. If you want to add brakes a new axle would be the way to go. A pic of the back side of your wheel would tell all for us.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

Name: Tracy
Trailer: Play mor 2
Massachusetts
Thanks , both helpful responses . I will get under and have another look.
I was told by a local motorcycle mechanic that often at this weight they don't have brakes. I hope I don't have to change my axel because I just invested in new wheels and tires that are very specific to my axel . ��
TadelSignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The backing plates may already be there, but the 1983 axle is probably dead already
If you stand in the trailer and jump up and down and the movement is mostly in the tires and not the axle you are there
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadelSignore View Post
The best answer to this question is look at the State laws where you plan to travel. Weigh your trailer, then determine if brakes are needed by law.

I'm of belief that brakes are a good thing. Trailer brakes have saved my trailer at least twice I know of.

This is pretty good digest of MASS towing laws. http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/category/...massachusetts/

For anyother state try http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

Tags
brakes