Old Volkswagens- hauling right! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #41

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Cindy- these old things aren't that involved, that why I'm involved with them.

What's wrong with yours?

Back to my quest- I put a deposit on my 1977 13' Trillium. So, it's mine! I will go up to Nebraska - weather permitting - and get it Christmas week. That weather permitting thing is real dicey this time of year!

Question -It is not already set up for brakes. When I get brakes, do I have to change spindle too?
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #42

Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13, 72 Alpine Sprite
Alabama
I have owned VW's all my life. I hate to see you butcher that classic with a Ford engine! I have owned a lot of VW's, but never a truck. I love it!
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #43

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Mike:

I know that they are easy to work on. We used to have a '69 Beetle and a '72 bus. One or the other was broken down. I would spend the day reading up on what might be wrong, and the hubby would try to fix it after school. Can you say helping to lift an engine when you are 8 months pregnant? We got rid of of the bus when we moved to the city. We still have the Beetle. The pickup was my birthday present about 5 years ago. We have so little garage space here and so little time, it just sits in the garage collecting camping equipment.

Cindy
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #44

Louisiana
Registry
If you could see this truck up close, you would see it is the perfect candidate for any kind "tricking". It would not win any shows. It's been in too many wrecks. It really is a work truck, and that's about it.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #45

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
wow you mean i could get heat in my westy..... this may be a conversion for me

but i have my doubts about pulling with her ... at least without a tailwind
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #46

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Just to answer the question about what's wrong with our '68 SC mentioned by CindyL:
A previous owner took out the gas tank, so that has to be replaced.
The wiring to the electrical systems is generally disconnected, so it has to be reconnected/replaced.
The engine needs an overhaul.
The battery compartment needs fixing.
The treasure chest doors need rust work and replacement locks (we have them).
The drop gates need rust work and metal replacement in places.
The body is in extreme need of work, with ballpeen hammer dings all over it caused by an angry previous owner.
The outriggers need to be replaced due to rust.
The treasure chest floor needs metal replacement in spots.
The truck bed needs a bit of ding removal and new wooden slats installed (we have them).

With the exception of the welding of new metal, I can handle the rest of the work with the tools I have. I need to get a MIG welder for the body work. Now to find the time!!!!!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #47

Louisiana
Registry
Wow! Sounds like mine (before), I got my wire welder from Harbor freight. It's cheap but gets the job done. As for time.....
Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #48

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
What fun to see your VW pickups. When I was much younger, I travelled all over Central Alberta installing rooftop TV antennas for a fellow who had a dark red VW double cab pickup. I believe it was a 1963 model. I was admonished to not try to drive it over 60 mph or to lug the engine. I think the aircooled engine was rated at 48 hp. This rruck lasted for many years, and was very unique. The only disadvantage was the poor heater that they had. Thanks for posting the pics, they bring back many memories!
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #49

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
You are right about the heater! In our old Beetle, I've made sure the heating system is up to specs and it gets very toasty inside. The defrost will never work well, however. In our 72 bus, the run of heating tubing was so long that the heat was lukewarm at best when it got to the driver's compartment. We put in a fan booster - no luck. We tried a propane catalytic heater and that helped but not a lot. The SC and DC models have the same problem - the heat originates too far from the tube exit!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #50

Louisiana
Registry
Kevin, I have a friend that put a booster fan in-line right up by the dash (inside the trunk). That helped a lot!
Old 12-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #51

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
I checked your thread, good job!!! I'll have to get back in touch with you, I have some questions. Did you get your camper? Rick
RICK H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #52

Louisiana
Registry
Merry Christmas everybody!

Update-
I got my Tekonsha P3 installed in the old truck. It's a lot of work routing the wires! I did run the wire from the brake light switch (cold side) on the master cylinder to the
P3 harness. A lot of under-the-truck/ in-the-truck up and downs!
The 7/4-plug wiring harness from etrailer.com had everything I needed and more. Total spent so far is about $160 + 1/2 day work.
It's neat having a couple of electronic doo-dads in the antique truck!
Tomorrow, my dad and I head up to Omaha to get the Trillium. God is smiling on the trip with good weather! I was really worried about weather at this time of year. 750 miles can bring a lot of changes in weather.
I talked to my friend about doing the Ford conversion into the truck and he said something about wanting the 1776 (he built) so I'll just givei it to him for "helping" me do the work.
I still have the unanswered question about do I have to change out the spindle to put on the elctric brakes? Do I have to get a whole new axle? Thoughts?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #53

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I've read that if the axle is set up to accept brakes there will be a plate where they can attach, and if no plate then you probably need a different axle. But that's just what I've read on the forum, no direct knowledge.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #54

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Question

I don't understand replacing an engine with one twice as powerful. Are the drive components between the engine and the tires able to handle the extra power? I remember reading about someone who replaced the engine in a Renault Dauphine with an electric motor and the increase in torque kept breaking axles.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #55

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I don't understand replacing an engine with one twice as powerful. Are the drive components between the engine and the tires able to handle the extra power? I remember reading about someone who replaced the engine in a Renault Dauphine with an electric motor and the increase in torque kept breaking axles.
I don't know much about the torque of an electric motor, but I know how I drive (slow and steady gets it!). Smooth starts and stops is where I'm at. I won't have a problem if my friend with a 2.8 v6 Chevy doesn't (and he doesn't).
I want to NOT be a traffic impediment on the OK and ARK hills that I frequent.

Edit- forgot to mention I'm sitting in a motel room about 200 miles from my Trillium that I will meet in Omaha tomorrow! I'm hyped!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #56

Registry
Post pix! We are off day after tomorrow with our Eurovan pulling the Uhaul to FL.

CindyL
Old 12-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #57

Louisiana
Registry
Will do, Cindy!

Edit- We drove 570 miles yesterday. I saw ONE fiberglass rv - a late model Scamp, looked to be a 16 footer. At least I spotted it!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #58

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Regarding heaters...I bought a 1958 VW new and the heater was definitely NOT something to write home about (or maybe it was). So I wrapped both heat tubes in two layers of aluminum foil and it made a big difference. Since that was 53 years ago, there's probably something different now that would do the same job and be more durable.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #59

Registry
Ever noticed how everyone has a VW story? Every time I mention that we have a Beetle, I hear about the one that they used to have, not that I mind.

CindyL
Old 12-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #60

Louisiana
Registry
I belong to the local VW club. I've been in it for about ten years and just got through my two year "stint" as president. Everywhere we go, someone has a v'dub story! I have a couple pics of my Trillium . I'll go get my camera and put them up in a few moments.
My daughter already named it "P-egg -y sue". Does anyone know, is that a common name around here?