Oliver-Real Tow Weight - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #41

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
Hi, everyone. So glad to be a part of this community. I've been online researching travel trailers and have narrowed my selection down to two. The Oliver and the Lil Snoozy. I believe the Oliver is at the very maximum of my towing capacity. I have a 2014 Toyota 4Runner and will not sell it for another TV. Must work around it. Love the Ollie, Legacy Elite 18.5 but believe it may be something I cannot tow safely. Like the 4 season use. Lil Snoozy is certainly light enough but not 4 season. What am I to do? Does anyone have real tow weights for this model Ollie? My GCWR is 11,300 and towing capacity is 5000. Need help! Thanks

I just weighed our LiL Snoozy fully loaded with our gear and 10 gallons of water, 2960 and 360 on the tongue. I was a little surprised because the factory said it was 2525 dry weight and I thought they were a little light. It turns out that is probably correct.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #42

Name: bob
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Elite
Utah
We own a 2015 Olie 18.5'Elite. We tow it with a 2011 4runner 4.0 V6. We have towed te Olie all over the US in the last year. The trailer has a loaded weight of 3702 lbs. and a tongue weight of 440 lbs with full propane tanks. The 4 runner has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. with a 500 tongue weight. We tow the trailer in the Rockies with no problem. Yes it slows down on steep hills, but does fine for us. We are extremely pleased with the 4 season capability of our Oliver. We have used it many times this winter in temps into the single digits and have been very comfortable. We hightly recommend the 4 runner. We didn't want to change to vehicles either.
bobjanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #43

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I own Ollie #14, The Wonder Egg. She's a single axle Elite with one 160W solar panel on top and nothing else that would significantly alter the weight. I always start my travels with the fresh water tank full. That's a bit under 250lbs of water. I avail myself of dump stations as the need arises to return to a full fresh water tank and a newly "charged" black tank. (I can't conceive of a situation where I am hauling a full fresh, grey and black tanks of liquid)

I stopped by some scales as I started out on a trip, fully loaded, with the fresh tank full and she weighed in at 3900lbs. This is well below the axle bearing weight of 5200lbs and 40% below my Toyota Tacoma's 6500lb towing capacity. The Wonder Egg has been equipped with 16"wheels, has 12" drum brakes and has had zero difficulties on any of its five crossings of the Rocky Mountains
Thanks so much. This is great news. I'm waiting to hear if Ollie can replace their toilet with a cassette. Losing the black tank will surely lighten the load. Hope to hear soon.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #44

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I own Ollie #14, The Wonder Egg. She's a single axle Elite with one 160W solar panel on top and nothing else that would significantly alter the weight. I always start my travels with the fresh water tank full. That's a bit under 250lbs of water. I avail myself of dump stations as the need arises to return to a full fresh water tank and a newly "charged" black tank. (I can't conceive of a situation where I am hauling a full fresh, grey and black tanks of liquid)

I stopped by some scales as I started out on a trip, fully loaded, with the fresh tank full and she weighed in at 3900lbs. This is well below the axle bearing weight of 5200lbs and 40% below my Toyota Tacoma's 6500lb towing capacity. The Wonder Egg has been equipped with 16"wheels, has 12" drum brakes and has had zero difficulties on any of its five crossings of the Rocky Mountains
Very good news, indeed. The dry weight has changed a bit but I'm feeling much more secure with the weight since you and others have provided me with real weights. Thanks
Old 03-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #45

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I just weighed our LiL Snoozy fully loaded with our gear and 10 gallons of water, 2960 and 360 on the tongue. I was a little surprised because the factory said it was 2525 dry weight and I thought they were a little light. It turns out that is probably correct.

I've seen many of your posts on the Snoozy forum. This is truly a wonderful little trailer. Apples to oranges as is the Ollie to Snoozy. I've been to the factory and am very impressed with Richard and his trailers. Have awhile until my house sells so will continue to research and visit TN to see Ollie (if they can provide a cassette toilet!!!) That is a great option with the Snoozy. I guess I need a hybrid Snooz-ollie???
Old 03-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #46

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjanice View Post
We own a 2015 Olie 18.5'Elite. We tow it with a 2011 4runner 4.0 V6. We have towed te Olie all over the US in the last year. The trailer has a loaded weight of 3702 lbs. and a tongue weight of 440 lbs with full propane tanks. The 4 runner has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. with a 500 tongue weight. We tow the trailer in the Rockies with no problem. Yes it slows down on steep hills, but does fine for us. We are extremely pleased with the 4 season capability of our Oliver. We have used it many times this winter in temps into the single digits and have been very comfortable. We hightly recommend the 4 runner. We didn't want to change to vehicles either.
Of course I love my 4Runner (Robert Jr.-yes we named it) and it is the second one I've owned. I wouldn't trade it for anything; except maybe a Landcruiser. I'm so glad you are having such a great experience with your Ollie and hope to join the parade soon. Look for a white TV and a white Ollie on the roads this summer. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #47

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
I've seen many of your posts on the Snoozy forum. This is truly a wonderful little trailer. Apples to oranges as is the Ollie to Snoozy. I've been to the factory and am very impressed with Richard and his trailers. Have awhile until my house sells so will continue to research and visit TN to see Ollie (if they can provide a cassette toilet!!!) That is a great option with the Snoozy. I guess I need a hybrid Snooz-ollie???

I like the Oliver to. It is just a little more premium priced than I want to pay. It would certainly benefit from the cassette system.

charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #48

Name: bob
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Elite
Utah
It would be great to meet up. We have a white 4Runner and white Olie matched up, too. Maybe see you on the road. We are in Utah.
bobjanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #49

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjanice View Post
It would be great to meet up. We have a white 4Runner and white Olie matched up, too. Maybe see you on the road. We are in Utah.
Great! I will keep you in mind. I'll be camping near the factory until I'm totally confident with the TT and it's workings. However, my future plans are anyone's guess! Much depends on the season. How is Utah during the winter? All I would need is running water and electric. Too much glamour?
Old 03-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #50

Delaware
Walt...thanks for your info. I did ask Toyota about a tranny cooler. They said not necessary. I have a bunch of settings on my shift and one will turn off the overdrive. That's the one I should use when towing so I have plenty of engine breaking. Had two 4Runners and never even used any of those settings before. Learn something new every day!
Old 03-12-2016, 07:01 AM   #51

Delaware
I agree! Wish we had a like button!
Old 03-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #52

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Depends on where in Utah. It's all "highland desert", which means it can be below zero and dumping snow, or 50 and sunny in the winter, depending on where you are. St George is south on I-15, getting near the Nevada border, and a lot of RV snowbirds spend their winters there. Which is why I avoid it...

Northern Utah is a northern mountain climate, though Salt Lake doesn't have snow stick for very long in the valley. Terrible air quality, though.

Southern Utah is better but still mostly high elevation. Moab definitely gets winter, but people do live out of their campers in that area in the winter. Really a matter of seeking out the lower elevation areas, farther south. I've camped in southern Utah in January, but it was 40s and sunny during the day, 20s at night, and there was snow on the ground. But I think St George typically stays warmer than that. I was still always just camping in the back of my truck at that point, though, so I imagine I'd love it even more in an insulated camper with a heater.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #53

Name: Bruce
Trailer: in the market
Texas
I'm in the market for a trailer. We've been looking at the Oliver Legacy II Elite. It has a GVWR of 7000 lbs. We're also in the market for a tow vehicle. We're thinking of a diesel Grand Cherokee Jeep 4x4. It has a tow rating of 7200 lbs. Do you think the think the Grand Cherokee will tow it well?
u075908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #54

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
7200 before or after getting a "tow package" installed?

You'll find most people around here discourage towing right up against the capacity of the vehicle. 7000 is cutting it very, very close, before ever adding any of your stuff.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #55

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Oliver-Real Tow Weight

The Oliver Elite II has a dry weight of 4600 pounds, so unless you go crazy with options and gear, you ought to have a comfortable margin. Seems to me you'd have to work pretty hard to max out the Oliver's 7000 pound GVWR.

Reliability of Jeep products is what it is, but if you can accept that, it actually sounds like a pretty ideal combination to me.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #56

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by u075908 View Post
I'm in the market for a trailer. We've been looking at the Oliver Legacy II Elite. It has a GVWR of 7000 lbs. We're also in the market for a tow vehicle. We're thinking of a diesel Grand Cherokee Jeep 4x4. It has a tow rating of 7200 lbs. Do you think the think the Grand Cherokee will tow it well?
Are you bringing your pet elephant with you? Sorry, don't mean to be snarky but you seem to be in the same position I am. Towing is new to me and best to call the TV manufacturer to get the tow weights. I am less confused than I was before I joined this forum but will always defer to the Toyota tech folks for real tow weights.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #57

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...Towing is new to me and best to call the TV manufacturer to get the tow weights. I am less confused than I was before I joined this forum but will always defer to the Toyota tech folks for real tow weights.
I'm not sure what you mean by "real tow weights."

If you mean realistic, on-the-road weights of a loaded trailer, the best resource is the sticky thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section of this forum. I don't know if there is much data on Olivers, though- there aren't that many out there.

But if you mean information about the real tow rating of a vehicle, as well as any optional equipment required to achieve that rating, the owner's manual is the place to go. Manuals for most late models are available online, so you can read the fine print before you buy. You may have had a different experience, but I have found dealers surprisingly unhelpful. In the best case, they can't tell you anything beyond or in contradiction of the owner's manual. The lawyers won't allow them to...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #58

Name: Warren
Trailer: Oliver
New Hampshire
Hey Bernese Bunch the following may be helpful, (love your dog pic!)

If we look at the Oliver Elite II metrics for the base model without any options. They give you four key numbers:

1. Tongue (hitch) weight = 420 lbs.
2. Dry (Unit base) weight = 4600 lbs.
3. Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) = 7000 lbs.
4. Net carrying capacity = 2400 lbs.

Please keep in mind, most Oliver Elite II owners load up their trailers with many options which add to the Dry Weight and Tongue Weight and lowers the Net Carrying Capacity. This is really not an issue for the travel trailer since the Oliver design can accommodate a substantial GVWR and large Net Carrying Capacity as a starting point on the base model. The Tongue Weight on the base model is also relatively light when compared to other 23 foot trailers. I suspect the Elite II which I have on order will weigh in at approximately 5000lbs for unit base weight and 500lbs for tongue weight.

What you need to be concerned with in using an existing tow vehicle or purchasing a new one are at least three key numbers.
1. Towing capacity.
2. Payload capacity.

3. Front axle weight as it relates to your rear axle.

I am not sure if you have gathered these metrics. Although each vehicle manufacturer will post values on door jam stickers, you need to also look under or near your hitch receiver for towing and tongue weight limits with and without a weight distribution hitch.

Please keep in mind, when you consider a tow vehicle which is “razor thin” in relation to the demands of the travel trailer, it is best to visit a weight station, such as a CAT Scales in your area in calculating your payload metric. The CAT Scales will also help you understand the front axle weight both before and after loading and hook-up so you can determine if you need a weight distribution hitch. Some travel trailer owners overlook the issue of front axle weight until it is too late and they lose directional control due to the understeer effect.

This week I drove to my local CAT Scales to weigh my new tow vehicle. I felt the need for a few metrics to guide me in deciding if I needed to purchase a weight distribution hitch (WDH).

My goal was to complete a first weigh with full gas tank, no gear or passengers. The second weigh would include a full tank, passenger and full camping gear.

Prior to setting off to the scales, I located the factory installed labels (total of three) in the door jam and under the bumper near the hitch receiver. The following information was provided:

1. GVWR = 7050lbs.
2. Load capacity with passengers and gear = 1777lbs.
3. Max load on front axle = 3525lbs.
4. Max load on rear axle = 3800lbs.
5. Without WDH, Max Towing = 5000lbs., Max Tongue = 500lbs.
6. With WDH, Max Towing = 12,100lbs, Max Tongue = 1210lbs.

After taking delivery of the tow vehicle, I added a tonneau cover and tool box which would lower the value in line #2. I knew the first weigh at the CAT scales would help me adjust the figure. In fact the figure was adjusted to 1650lbs.

The CAT Scale weight tickets provided the following:
Weight #1 - Steer Axle = 3100lbs, Drive Axle = 2300lbs, Gross Weight = 5400lbs.
Weight #2 – Steer Axle = 3200lbs, Drive Axle = 2700lbs, Gross Weight = 5900lbs.

So what does all this information tell me?!

Since I hope to camp in cold weather with the possibility of snowy road surfaces, I need to be concerned with maintaining good steer axle weight as it relates to the rear axle. You can see the effect of loading the truck bed. If I added a tongue weight of 500lbs the front and rear axles may be equal in weight. My preference would be to have some additional weight on the steer axle to avoid understeer effects, especially on slick roads.

With this information, I will be seeking the installation of the Anderson WDH for weight distribution as my next step when I take delivery of my Elite II in June. (I suspect the sway benefits will be less critical.) Once back home, I will be returning to the CAT Scales for three additional weigh recordings to determine the effectiveness of the Andersen WDH. Without the actual scale recordings I would be unable to quantify the value of the WDH as it relates to weight distribution. You may have also noticed I will need to be careful in how much weight I distribute forward to the steer axle since I do not want to exceed the axle weight limit of 3525lbs.

Buzzy
P.S. I understand you seek to retain your existing TV and you may seek the single axle Elite. The methodology I used could be used with any TV or TT.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #59

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
Hey Bernese Bunch the following may be helpful, (love your dog pic!)

This week I drove to my local CAT Scales to weigh my new tow vehicle. I felt the need for a few metrics to guide me in deciding if I needed to purchase a weight distribution hitch (WDH).

My goal was to complete a first weigh with full gas tank, no gear or passengers. The second weigh would include a full tank, passenger and full camping gear.
Hey Buzzy,

Unless you need/want the certified printout from CAT, the weigh stations on 93 are always on, I stopped by when they weren't open and took the readings for my TV with and without the cap and wife. Haven't had cause to pull the OlIver down yet, I'm not quite as close as you, but I will and it's nice as you can change up the configuration as you'd like with no having to rush. Just an FYI.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #60

Name: Warren
Trailer: Oliver
New Hampshire
Hey Randy,

First off, it is good to see you posting on the Forum! I bet you love your Elite II. You were wise to act fast when Ron made the decision to sell!

Thank you for the heads up on the Route 93 north scales. I never thought to drive in and weigh my truck. That is a much better idea than getting in line behind an 18 wheeler to use the CAT scales. Although it is entertaining how they look at me as a little ant in comparison to their huge rigs.

Buzzy
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver, weight