Oliver-Real Tow Weight - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 08:33 AM   #81

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I've seen ways to use a regular bathroom scale in which the tongue is placed on the center of a beam with one end supported on the scale and the other on the ground. You then double the reading on the scale (and adjust for the weight of the pieces of wood, I guess).

If that's still too heavy for the scale, move the tongue toward the end of the beam on the ground and use a mathematical proportion to calculate the tongue weight.

Never tried it- my little Scamp can be weighed directly on most bathroom scales.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #82

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I've seen ways to use a regular bathroom scale in which the tongue is placed on the center of a beam with one end supported on the scale and the other on the ground. You then double the reading on the scale (and adjust for the weight of the pieces of wood, I guess).

If that's still too heavy for the scale, move the tongue toward the end of the beam on the ground and use a mathematical proportion to calculate the tongue weight.
Yep, it is easy enough to do if you are careful and have the materials handy .... Some good pictures here:
Measuring trailer tongue weight with a bathroom scale

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:22 AM   #83
gsg

Name: g
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
2013 Nissan Xterra Pro 4x4

Hey Bob,
I own a 2013 Nissan Xterra Pro 4x4, V6 4L 261HP, 5000 lbs tow capacity.
I want to purchase a 2016 Oliver Elite 18.5ft and travel full time solo for 2 years around the US and Canada to Alaska. Since our vehicle are very similar in specs, would you be comfortable doing it full time?
Also, did you need to install:
Transmission Oil Cooler?
Electric trailer brake controllers?
Stabilizer bar?
Extra leaf spring?
Air Bags?
gsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #84

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
You will need a transmission cooler; you will need a brake controller. Upgrading the rear suspension is some way or another is a good idea but probably not necessary; ant-sway is not a bad idea.

I put airbags in my Tacoma. I'm glad I did. They're pricey but I like them. I use an inexpensive ($40) anti-sway bar.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #85
gsg

Name: g
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
To ZachO,
Thank you for the suggestions.
I realized I made a mistake, it's not air bags, it's "air assist" if that is what it's even called?
gsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #86

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It doesn't matter. In this context, people know what you mean. Mine are Firestone, and I guess they're technically called "Air Springs". I always refer to them as air bags.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #87

Name: Coy
Trailer: Oliver Elite
Alabama
I have a e2015 Oliver elite 18.5 and have pulled it fully loaded from Alabama to California and return on Route 66. My TV is a 2003 Tundra truck, 280 hp V8. I have pulled my Oliver across the Smokey Mountians. The trailer handles extremely well. I hitch the trailer to my truck with nothing but safety chains and a hitch. Oliver does not recommend sway bars or other devices. When I crossed Texas and Oklahoma the winds were so bad that the tractor trailers were pulling off the road. I slowed down, but kept going. I did not feel unsafe. If I can directly answer any of your concerns, please let me know. If you contact Oliver, you will find them very helpful.
Love my Oliver !
Hardrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #88

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
That (3640 x 1.25) Then figure out a general, educated guess of what your "stuff" weighs, camping gear and food. I mean that's actually pretty simple math, just takes the leg work to get numbers to plug in.

)
Its the educated guess as to what your "stuff" weighs that gets lots of people into trouble

Was once on a camping trip with a party and their newly built and acquired trailer when they indicated that they were very sure the factory weight stated on departure from the factory was way off! Reason for that belief was due to their vehicle labouring more than they expected it to - as a result they had stopped and had the trailer weighed. The weight was WAY more than what they were willing to accept that all the so called light weight STUFF they had put in the trailer weighed

I suggested there was only one way to prove it - take everything out of it and reweigh the trailer - which they did the following week. After they reweighed the trailer empty they sheepishly admitted they had been VERY wrong as to just how much all their STUFF actually weighed. They purchased a new vehicle to pull the trailer with shortly after.

A good rule of thumb is to add at least another 600lbs to cover all your "stuff". Of course the more people you have in the trailer the more "stuff" you will have, so you will need to add to that number - extra clothing, bedding and towels etc all adds up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #89

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
The wrong info that people often use is the dry weight. They think that is what the trailer weighs before they add their own items.

Ours was another 600 lbs. with options over the dry weight before we loaded our items. At least another 1000 lbs. is common for Escapes. Of course, all trailers are not like Escapes in that regard but people often have greatly underestimated what a trailer weighs before loading.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #90

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
RE: Oliver towing requirements as asked by GSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
You will need a transmission cooler; you will need a brake controller. Upgrading the rear suspension is some way or another is a good idea but probably not necessary; ant-sway is not a bad idea...
Anti-sway is not a bad idea, but it is not necessary on an Oliver.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #91

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
We picked up our big Oliver last week. Before delivery they weighed it at 5130 lbs. We weighed all of our "stuff" before driving to Tennessee to pick it up, right at 300lbs. Add to that about 10 gallons in the fresh tank and some food. Combined weight for my wife and I is 270 lbs. I'm towing with a 2012 Tacoma with an Andersen Hitch and the TRD Supercharger which results in 306 HP and about 325 torque. I've had no problems with hills and maintaining speed - 60-65mph. 12-13 mpg. When I replace my Tacoma (it has just under 100K miles) I will look at a Tundra or F150, but for now the Tacoma works well.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #92

Name: Charles
Trailer: Escape 21
Oregon
GMC Diesel Canyon for tow vehicle

Recently purchased a 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel. The vehicle is rated to tow 7600 lbs however I'm not inclined to regularly tow at max rating. The diesel variant comes with a tow haul package and exhaust brake. Very nice, quiet, midsize truck with exceptional unloaded fuel economy of 30 mpg when not towing.
For you experienced Oliver owners I am wondering how this truck would handle the larger Elite II trailer? Would you recommend the weight distributing hitch?
Thank you, CJ
CJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #93

Name: Coy
Trailer: Oliver Elite
Alabama
Oliver tow

CJ
First, congratulations on purchasing an exceptional vehicle. I have been seriously considering trading for this vehicle so I am very familiar with it.
I have the smaller 2015 Oliver. My TV is a 2003 Tundra, about the same size as your TV, with 260 horse V8. After I got it I drove from Alabama to California and return. I have only my ball/trailer hitch and safety chains. The winds in Oklahoma and Texas were terrible. Even the big rigs were pulling off, but my rig was stable and hardly noticed the RV was back there.
I was driving Route 66 and outside Laughlin Texas I drove a 6% down grade for several miles on Route 66. No Issues. I am a cautious driver and did pull over once to cool the brakes
I know of one Oliver Elite II That has an Anderson hitch. He told me that he did not like it and would be taking it off
I think you should be fine. I would be interested in feedback after your first few trips. I am seriously considering your vehicle
Welcome to the Oliver family
Hardrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #94

Name: Charles
Oregon
Thanks Hardrock,

So far I'm really enjoying the new truck. Less than 3000 miles so far. It's very quiet inside and out while enjoyable to drive particularly maneuverable in the city.

I'm not an Oliver owner as yet but they do seem like an extremely well built unit. But of course that comes with a price tag.

I'm also really enjoying reading and dreaming on this FG RV forum. Thanks all for your info!!

cj
CJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:05 AM   #95

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Lots of views on the Andersen hitch. I have one because I felt it would give an extra margin of safety while pulling a 5000+ lb trailer with a mid-size Tacoma. I like it, easy to use. I've upgraded my TV to a Ram 1500 5.7L and am still using the Andersen even though my TV is bigger (10,300 lb tow capacity). The Oliver behaves well even in the worst conditions.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:06 AM   #96

Name: Liz And Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Idaho
Oliver elite 2 and Porsche Cayenne

Hello,
We are seriously considering the Oliver elite 2. Going for a factory tour next month. We are wondering about towing with our Porsche Cayenne diesel 2013.
It tows up to 8100 with a tongue weight of 615. Has anyone tried to tow with a cayenne? We also have a Toyota 4 runner limited. Any suggestions? Thank you!
AESchenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:35 PM   #97

Name: R.R.
California
You should at least PM with Carol & Mike above to see why they went from a Tacoma TRD with a 127.4" wheelbase to a RAM 1500 that has at least 140" wheelbase. Although your Porche certainly has the HP with the diesel, there is way more to it for towing safely vs. white knuckle. And- you will certainly beat up the rear suspension on that vehicle which won't be cheap to repair.

JD Gallant published How To Tow Safely and in it he has a chart for trailer lengths and recommended wheelbase. These were "established through accident reports and consumer input regarding handling characteristics for trailer coaches. These reports tell us two things: 1) that these parameters are right on and 2) if you want to go with a longer trailer, you should go to a longer-wheelbase towing vehicle."

For a 23' trailer it shows a 122" wheelbase as being needed. The 2013 Cayenne is 114", significantly shorter. The Oliver is actually 23.6"; for a 24' trailer a 126" wheelbase is indicated.
Osos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:52 PM   #98

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AESchenk View Post
Hello,
We are seriously considering the Oliver elite 2. Going for a factory tour next month. We are wondering about towing with our Porsche Cayenne diesel 2013.
It tows up to 8100 with a tongue weight of 615. Has anyone tried to tow with a cayenne? We also have a Toyota 4 runner limited. Any suggestions? Thank you!
While the Cayenne will probably pull an Elite 2, it will be very marginal in strenuous conditions and the load capacity (around 1300 pounds) is inadequate. The tongue weight of most of these trailers, ready to roam, seems to be about 650 pounds. You can add a rear rack and put cargo there, and eliminate the front tray, as I have done, and it drops to under 500. It still tows wonderfully, you just need to keep most of the load off the front for some vehicles.

In your shoes I would either be looking at the Elite, or upgrade to a stouter body on frame tow vehicle with a longer wheelbase and a decent payload. I have a 2013 Land Cruiser (a short 112 inch wheelbase) and it does just OK, but there are much better choices.

And speaking of “beating up the rear suspension”, even with the Andersen hitch and rear airbgags, I just found both my rear shocks blown.... ☹️

You should post your question at the Ollie forum. This is discussed all the time, not for a Porsche, but for similar sized vehicles.

http://https://olivertraveltrailers....ing-an-oliver/

John Davies
Spokane WA
John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:07 PM   #99

Name: Liz And Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Idaho
Thanks for a quick reply. Looks like we have more homework to do! Porsche repairs are certainly far from cheap! Will communicate with Carol and Mike as well. Thanks!
AESchenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:57 PM   #100

Name: Anthony
Trailer: Casita
OH
Have you looked at the new ones from Cortes campers?

It looks like an Ollie but better....
ACZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver, weight