Oliver-Real Tow Weight - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2021, 03:36 PM   #101

Name: Liz And Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Idaho
Thanks! Will check them out. Open to other trailers. We have been towing a Scamp16 for almost 8; years...looking for a bigger trailer now!
AESchenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:49 PM   #102

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AESchenk View Post
Hello,
We are seriously considering the Oliver elite 2. Going for a factory tour next month. We are wondering about towing with our Porsche Cayenne diesel 2013.
It tows up to 8100 with a tongue weight of 615. Has anyone tried to tow with a cayenne? We also have a Toyota 4 runner limited. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Tongue weight of an Elite II will exceed the figure above. There is an Oliver forum, owners are finding trailers weighing 6,500 to 7,000 pounds and tongue weights in the 800 pound +/- range. Typical tongue weight of ~ 13% is a common target for safe towing. Inadequate tongue weight can lead to trailer sway, which can be very dangerous.

IMHo, pick the trailer that best meets your needs and budget, and then obtain the appropriate tow vehicle.

An Elite II is much different size and weight wise compared to the Elite.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:54 PM   #103

Name: bob
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Elite
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsg View Post
Hey Bob,
I own a 2013 Nissan Xterra Pro 4x4, V6 4L 261HP, 5000 lbs tow capacity.
I want to purchase a 2016 Oliver Elite 18.5ft and travel full time solo for 2 years around the US and Canada to Alaska. Since our vehicle are very similar in specs, would you be comfortable doing it full time?
Also, did you need to install:
Transmission Oil Cooler?
Electric trailer brake controllers?
Stabilizer bar?
Extra leaf spring?
Air Bags?
we have traveled all over the USA with our Oliver Elite 18.5 ft trailer 2ith a V6 2011 4runner We have not needed any of the items you asked about except of course the Electric brake controller. The Oliver travels very nicely.
bobjanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:16 PM   #104

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AESchenk View Post
Hello,
We are seriously considering the Oliver elite 2. Going for a factory tour next month. We are wondering about towing with our Porsche Cayenne diesel 2013.
It tows up to 8100 with a tongue weight of 615. Has anyone tried to tow with a cayenne? We also have a Toyota 4 runner limited. Any suggestions? Thank you!
There are a number of Oliver Elite II owners towing with a Touareg diesel and with Audi Q7’s. I think a Cayenne diesel would do fine. We upgraded from our Tacoma because the fuel tank was small and payload was also limited. It towed our Elite II fine. Some owners will have a tongue weight around 600lbs or higher but they are generally those that carry a generator on the tongue. You should jump over to the Oliver forum, you’ll get lots of input there. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:47 PM   #105

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I weighed my Oliver while on a trip. It weighed 5,700 lbs. The tongue weight was 560 lbs. While it is certainly possible to add a lot more gear, and some do, I would not say it was normal to get up over 6,500 lbs. Mine towed steady as a rock with less than 10% tongue weight and no WDH or sway device. Olivers are balanced properly and very stable. 10% tongue weight is a common rule of thumb and I see no reason to try to go higher than that with an Oliver.

Stability comes from a number of factors beyond tongue weight, such as rear overhang and weight behind the trailer's rear bumper, length to width ratio, height of the trailer, spring rates, tire stiffness and center of gravity. Olivers check all the right boxes and are stable.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #106

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I weighed my Oliver while on a trip. It weighed 5,700 lbs. The tongue weight was 560 lbs. While it is certainly possible to add a lot more gear, and some do, I would not say it was normal to get up over 6,500 lbs.
Mine weighed 5100 lbs when it rolled out of the factory with two full 30 lb propane tanks. Loaded with our stuff and a full fresh water tank (30 gallons) I’m sure we’re well under 6,000 lbs. Plus, I just replaced about 280 lbs of AGM batteries with 60 lbs of Lithium batteries.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver, weight