Opinions on alternatives to hitch ball system - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2022, 02:41 PM   #1

Name: Andre
Trailer: Trilium 1974
BC
Opinions on alternatives to hitch ball system

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback on alternative towing systems than the standard ball.

Our light trailer came off the ball once, albeit due to my own error, after reading online more it seems it's not too uncommon for this to happen if you're not super diligent about checking everything.

So I've been looking at alternative hitch solutions which are more dummy proof and ideally smoother.

Came across this one https://locknroll.com/ and curious if anyone here has some feedback on these other systems you rarely see or hear about.
Andre Liem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The Lock n Roll looks like a great alternative. The only drawback I see is the expense. I have always hated the standard ball system. We converted to the Quick Bite hitch. It uses the standard ball on the vehicle side but it is much easier to hitch up and a lot more secure. Unfortunately Lippert bought out the original business and has apparently took it off the market. If you can find one it is a nice alternative. I paid about 85.00.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:45 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The McHitch is the best system I have ever seen. You simply back into it and it latches. No setting the coupler down on a ball and it will never disconnect. It has full articulation. And it is much less crude than the Lock n Roll. McHitch.us
Attached Thumbnails
McHitch above tongue.jpg  
Old 09-02-2022, 09:00 AM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Maybe the ball isn't the problem. Could consider swapping out the trailer coupler for a Bulldog Collarlock A-Frame coupler. https://www.bulldogproducts.net/prod...railer-coupler
But I don't care what kind hitch system one has, due-diligent is all important when it comes to trailer/tow vehicle connections!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 10:38 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Alternate hitches

Another hitch is a PINTLE Hitch.
Consists of a ring on the trailer, and a hook with locking latch on the TV
you see them on semi truck/trailer rigs when they are towing a second trailer.
Probably way overkill for a your small trailer.
So, stick with the standard ball hitch.
Yours came off, probably, because you were not careful to make sure it was properly engaged.
There should be a bolt underneath that lets you adjust the tightness on the ball.
It should be just snug with no play.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 10:43 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler
Hitch issue

When Metro Trailer in Winnipeg replaced our Boler frame, it came with a hammer blow hitch. I find it very effective and similar to a standard transmission in a car thieves may not be able to figure out how it works.
Jim Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:07 AM   #7

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Hitch

We use the propride system. Very similar to the Hensley hitch. Not the easiest to install or pay for but very excellent towing.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
hitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Liem View Post
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback on alternative towing systems than the standard ball.

Our light trailer came off the ball once, albeit due to my own error, after reading online more it seems it's not too uncommon for this to happen if you're not super diligent about checking everything.

So I've been looking at alternative hitch solutions which are more dummy proof and ideally smoother.

Came across this one https://locknroll.com/ and curious if anyone here has some feedback on these other systems you rarely see or hear about.

The statement "seems it's not too uncommon for this to happen if you're not super diligent about checking everything" is actually saying it is common to happen when it fact it is operator error and nothing else as admitted in your post. I thing most on here would believe it is uncommon even if it has happened to them.

Considering all of the ball hitches out there, literally millions in use everyday and towed trillions of miles combined, and almost no problems unless you are off-roading in extreme cases ball hitches get the job done. Notice the hitch in your link is being shown on a small off-road trailering application not a typical RV trailer that is heavier and harder to move around by hand on unlevel ground. You admit it was operator error. I would train the operator to follow all of the safety and connection procedures exactly every time it is used. The fault seems to lie in the hands of the operator not the equipment. When the alternative system is damaged you have to hope that the system you are using is still available. If the ball hitch system is inspected regularly, you can service the parts that are needed easily. Every, and I repeat, every manuals states to make sure the the hitch equipment is properly connected.

I worries me that someone would not be diligent in making sure everything is done safely and completely especially when traveling down the road and passing me. Would you be diligent with doing every step with the alternative hitch, I hope so. When connecting with the alternative hitch you have to be exactly in line to get the pin in to connect not much room for error. With a ball hitch you can be off by 1" side to side or forward or backward and lower the trailer and the ball will self align.

Stay safe and use what ever hitch you feel does the job safely and completely.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 12:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Another hitch is a PINTLE Hitch.
Consists of a ring on the trailer, and a hook with locking latch on the TV
you see them on semi truck/trailer rigs when they are towing a second trailer.
Probably way overkill for a your small trailer.
So, stick with the standard ball hitch.
Yours came off, probably, because you were not careful to make sure it was properly engaged.
There should be a bolt underneath that lets you adjust the tightness on the ball.
It should be just snug with no play.

pintle hitches clank and jerk around the towing vehicle as the load shifts due to acceleration, deceleration and turning. they also are normally used in a non-loadbearing fashion, the trailer has front wheels that are steered by a tow bar.... thats a configuration thats nearly impossible to back up with.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:43 PM   #10

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
30 + years of owning multiple trailers never had a falure. I do like a pintle hitch for my heavy car/ bobcat trailer but still it's got a ball. Maybe a preflight check list would do the same thing for you for the cost of laminating .
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 02:26 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 not as common as stated. It would be interesting to do a survey here. 50 plus years towing so far.

I bet you’ll never have this problem again.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 03:46 PM   #12

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
+10 not as common as stated. It would be interesting to do a survey here. 50 plus years towing so far.
I agree, I’ve been towing boats and travel trailers for 40 years and never had a problem with a regular ball hitch. After I hitch I do a walk around checking exterior hatches and windows closed, wheel chalks removed and everything at the hitch (ie. chains, electrical, safety disconnect, etc).

Now I did once launch my boat without the drain plug. I was with my dad and we were heading out fishing. After I parked the trailer about a 1/4 mile up a steep hill and ran down, my dad said, “Scott, I think you forgot to put the plug in”…doh. As I spent 30 minutes on the launch ramp waiting for the water to drain out, many other fishermen chuckled and a few admitted to also doing it once. I subsequently added that item to my pre-launch check 😁

I would stay with the ball and just be careful to check.

Scott
2morebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:04 PM   #13

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Well I've towed quite a few miles and different trailers with pintle hook none of the configuration noted. Then a few miles and trailers on ball mounts. I've had one ball mount come detached that was due to family having moved. The person who towed my pontoon boat from my aunts old place to her new house forced the 1 7/8 mount on a 2" ball. I found out about that when I picked up to move it to AL. from IL. I drove over expansion crack going onto a bridge over Big Wabash River.
Still best option is to double check everything before moving then make a short movement then check again... plus trailer hubs for temperature, nice to find before any other problems. 😉👍
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:58 AM   #14

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The ball hitch has been used since the 1920s and has proven to be pretty reliable over that time.
Towing a trailer requires attention to detail and being safety minded at all times.
There are other possible hookup methods and perhaps they are better, but they do not have the 100 or so years of practical use and experience.
I see several much more expensive "solutions" but none more proven in experience in both drawbacks and advantages.
The current regulations exist to make towing safer for both the person(s) towing and the rest of the public.
Training and experience are necessary for safe operation no matter the hitch used.
The most likely causes of problems are:
Improper loading of the trailer and excessive weight causing instability.
Poor planning in maneuvering causing sudden swerves and changes.
Excessive speed.
Poor judgement.
None of those thing are really affected by the hitch
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:37 AM   #15

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The ball hitch is obviously a very good design. One of the main benefits is zero play in the system, as opposed to a pin through a hole type coupler used on ranches and such. Carelessness or out of adjustment catches seem to be its main problems.

But the one place it falls short is with extreme articulation as needed on off-raod trailers. It can bind and come off, or it can cause the tow vehicle to roll if the trailer rolls. Not common, of course.

Another minor point is hookup. Having to precisely position the ball under the coupler leads to a lot of maneuvering and discussion with a spotter. Of course, on lighter trailers, one can simply push the trailer over a bit to help with this, but not on heavy trailers.

With normal street trailers, the ball is perfectly fine in function and is readily available.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:09 AM   #16

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Just saw this in my FB feed. Kinda would make it idiot proof I guess. I've never had a problem but my routine of hooking up. Driving 20 feet and doing a walk around has always work for me. https://www.iron-jaws.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220911-131212.jpg  
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 11:36 AM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by giro53 View Post
We use the propride system. Very similar to the Hensley hitch. Not the easiest to install or pay for but very excellent towing.
We bought one for our upcoming 25 RQ
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:27 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
This has been an ongoing problem with new buyers of Happier Campers with many being fist time trailer owners and I’m sure it happens with every trailer out there . Many are having trailers delivered to them and may not get the same experience hooking up than those picking up directly from HCHQ but they do have the option to check our operating videos and instructions ,but some still fail to hook up correctly and the first thing many do is blame HC for inferior tongues when in fact HC uses the same frame equipment as almost all manufacturers and the ball system has been a proven system for decades when done correctly,thank goodness for the backup safety systems that have kept almost all incidences to a minimum. As some have stated here it is imperative for owners or operators to check and double check they are hooked up correctly even if you think you are an experienced hooker .not sure if that is the correct term .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:45 PM   #19

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
I make sure the latch is retracted, then I drop the trailer on the ball, then I latch it, and get down on my hands and knees and look up, visually inspecting that the ball is in the socket and the latch is under the ball and not on top of it.

Easier fix might be to install a Bulldog or similar hitch on the trailer. The Bulldog works differently but still uses the ball. It might be a solution if you really want something foolproof.

Charles
Old 09-12-2022, 10:52 PM   #20

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
2 inch drop only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito13 View Post
Just saw this in my FB feed. Kinda would make it idiot proof I guess. I've never had a problem but my routine of hooking up. Driving 20 feet and doing a walk around has always work for me. https://www.iron-jaws.com/
That would be a problem for many.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen+Shot+2022-04-01+at+3.58.52+PM.png  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote