Opinon on Nissan truck - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #1

Name: joseph
Trailer: in market
Florida
Opinon on Nissan truck

Im looking at a Nissan P/U with a I4 engine,,says it tows 3500 lbs,,is this to small an engine for a 17 foot casita trailer,,just wondering
joeonthecape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
If you stay in Fla. you might squeak by since there are very few hills in Fla. I pulled a C-17 recently with my Frontier V-6 and it knew it was towing something in the foothills of Va. and I have about 100 more hp. But I also know of a guy who pulled a Scamp 5th wheel with a 4 cyl. Tacoma across the US. I would only really consider pulling a 13 ft. trailer with a 4 cyl. The other factor with towing a C-17 is the +350lb tongue weight on many of them.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have the Frontier V6 as well, with a tow capacity of 6500lbs - pulling a 16' Scamp (2700lbs loaded). So far I have only towed it a short distance but I do live on the side of a mountain and will say although I know the trailer is there heading up the hill (some might suggests its a little more than a hill) it pulls the trailer a lot easier than my Subaru Outback 4 cylinder did. ..... First long trip with it in a couple of weeks to the Northern Oregon meet so will see.....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:48 AM   #4

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
First off, it's partly year dependent. It's also partly transmission dependent. The newer ones have more power. Will it tow it? Sure. Will it be hard on it? No. Are you going to be able to do speed limits and pull hills well? Probably not. You'll have to decide what you want.

I towed a 5,000 pound car and trailer with an '89 nissan 135 hp v6. It got there, but not quickly. It did it many times with no problems, though. I didn't find it relaxing in the slightest, however. Hills had to be planned out ahead of time. Passing in traffic, forget it, etc.

Now I enjoy setting the cruise and kicking back for 700 miles while never slowing down for a hill.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #5

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
The 17 casita is going to be tongue heavy and I wouldn't recommend it. I almost bought one when I was looking for a trailer but after a few conversations I decided I didn't want to abuse my Rav4 like that lol. Now owning my v6 Frontier if I was trailer less I would jump at a Casita 17.

Look at the trailer weights in the real world post and although people do things that I wouldn't its up to you. I like not straining my vehicle by maxing out the tow weight.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote