P185-80 tires OR ST185-80 Tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2006, 09:40 AM   #1

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
I was looking at installing New P185-80 13 inch tires this week on my SurfSide, but now by Father has contacted a Trailer Sales business in our area and they told him that I shouldn’t install tires like that. They said I should only install ST185-80 13 inch tires. They said the ST 185 tires are a special trailer tire and that they have more sidewall area which is going to be better for control issues and sway issues etc. My Father also talked to a guy he knows that used to own a SurfSide and he said when he had P185's on his trailer he almost lost it one time and figured that one side of the trailer was off the ground a foot.

I am new to this and now obviously concerned.

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on this, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I was looking at installing New P185-80 13 inch tires this week on my SurfSide, but now by Father has contacted a Trailer Sales business in our area and they told him that I shouldn’t install tires like that. They said I should only install ST185-80 13 inch tires. They said the ST 185 tires are a special trailer tire and that they have more sidewall area which is going to be better for control issues and sway issues etc. My Father also talked to a guy he knows that used to own a SurfSide and he said when he had P185's on his trailer he almost lost it one time and figured that one side of the trailer was off the ground a foot.

Thanks
hello: when we bought our little 1977 beachcomber not long ago, the fellow had 14'' regular tires on it. ( keep in mine that our trailer comes with 14'' tires originally from day one.) the tires were in bad shape we replaced them with 4 ply tires especially for trailers. . my advice don't cut corners. buy the right tires for the job. we take our trailer out and it's a pleasure , don't even know it's behind.
Lori-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Thanks
The key here is "ST". ST stands for Special Trailer. P stands for Passanger. As indicated side wall considerations are different for passanger cars and trailers. To be safe use ST tires.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Byron is correct, ST is the conventional wisdom.

Personally I have had so many blow outs with ST tires I now use LT tires. LT stands for Light Truck. My logic is that truck tires are designed to carry commercial loads, travel high speeds, and wear well. Also, truckers all talk to each other and if a tire company was putting out a bad tire, it would kill one of the tire manufacturers major income streams. (Just my poor-boy logic.)

So I now have switched to Michelin Light Truck Tires.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Well, here I go again....Both my Bolers have "P" rated tires on them as per the spec sheets from the manufacturer, with the only deviation was going to radials vs. the spec`d bias plies from their era, and neither one has posed me with any problems....no swaying!....smooth riding!.....stick like glue to the road!....I run the max recommended cold tire pressure as per the tire specs......I tow at legal highway speeds, plus, sometimes.......haven`t had a reason yet to change to "ST" tires, which I believe would give a much harsher trailer ride because of the higher air pressures they have to run on.....I also don`t use sway control devices of any type or weight distributing hitches as crutches......I`ve only put about 1000 miles on the 17' and at least 20,000 miles on the 13'....but then...to each his own!... ....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had a flat on the Element yesterday. I was on the freeway and didn't feel it, but some nice person pulled up next to me and warned me I was real low.

Seeing what happened to my sidewall driving on 1/2 pressure at freeway speeds, I would be more comfy with the a thicker wall. By the time I stopped, the tire still had air, but was riding on the sidewall. Totally destroyed, or, at least, pretty mangled. (I picked up the leavings of a sheetrockers truck. Nails and screws, not to mention a bunch other sharp stuff)

That being said, and the fact that I did not FEEL it (I would have if I drove another mile, for sure) may say something for it tho.

Tire expert, I ain't..

But I do know how to change one I got to use those tools I paid way to much for 3 years ago, and see my stupid donut spare.

sigh .... tire shop tomorrow. Ick.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I believe Mike has a valid point. We have been using Michelin LT tires for the last few years with excellent results.

We use metal valve stems too for added insurance.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:47 AM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I use ST rated tires. Here's an interesting link that's worth a read:

Tread Separation Anxiety... Discount Tire

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
In my previous post I was speaking from my own personal experience with Casitas.

Many of my friends have had problems with a couple brands of tires. A few of us have tried Michelins and have had no unexplainable failures with them.

I am not in the business of selling tires.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
So one of the things I asked myself is how many tires does my tire dealer sell of a type tire. Mine sells very few ST tires. They sit on the shelf. On the other hand they sell tons of LTX tires every day to soccor moms. Yes SUVs use them. They are rated to carry MORE weight, have better cornering ratings (side wall strength) and have a much better speed rating.
<blockquote>S-Speed Rated Sizes:
Maximum Speed (mph) 100 106 112
Inflation Increase (psi) 0.0 1.0 2.0
Load Capacity (% of max.) 100 100 100

T-Speed Rated Sizes:
Maximum Speed (mph) 100 106 112 118
Inflation Increase (psi) 0.0 1.0 2.0 3.0
Load Capacity (% of max.) 100 100 100 100

H-Speed Rated Sizes:
Maximum Speed (mph) 100 106 112 118 124 130
Inflation Increase (psi) 0.0 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 5.0
Load Capacity (% of max.) 100 100 100 100 100 100
</blockquote>
I live in the southwest where heat, long distances on Interstates at high speeds, and a single axle near its max are all factors.

ST tires seem to just not hold up no matter how hard I worked at keeping the tire pressures just right.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:04 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
On my previous trailer (Jayco 16), I put on a pair of P-radials when I had some problems on the road with my old ST tires because they were all that was available -- I could immediately feel the difference in terms of more sway, rocking and dancing side-to-side -- Very uncomfortable tow feeling -- I could even tell the difference just stepping into the trailer from the way it dipped and rocked -- Less than one hundred miles later, I had two old tires taken off my truck, moved the P-radials to there and put STs on the trailer.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #12

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Thanks for everyone's input. I talked to some former SurfSide owners in my town and they told me that it shouldn't matter if I put P185 tires on my trailer. The guys I talked to said that the ST tire is more of a trailer tire but that I wouldnt' ever require the amount of weight those tires are made for and as long as I wasn't trying to race people that I shouldn't run into any problems. I just installed the tires last night and re-packed the bearing with a friend of mine.

I know that when I travel into states and driving on Interstate highways, I'll be the guy on the right side of the road doing 55 miles per hour while most other people are zooming by doing 70. That's fine. I camp because it's to get away for the weekend or go on a small trip. I am not retired etc. and driving around North America touring etc. I think the P tires should be just fine.

It was a total toss up. I really appreciated hearing from everyone and getting their input.
Thanks agian as this site is a GOLDMINE for information.
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Roger,

That's an interesting article! I use ST tires too and have had good service from them.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #14

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny K View Post
Well, here I go again....Both my Bolers have "P" rated tires on them as per the spec sheets from the manufacturer, with the only deviation was going to radials vs. the spec`d bias plies from their era, and neither one has posed me with any problems....no swaying!....smooth riding!.....stick like glue to the road!....I run the max recommended cold tire pressure as per the tire specs......I tow at legal highway speeds, plus, sometimes.......haven`t had a reason yet to change to "ST" tires, which I believe would give a much harsher trailer ride because of the higher air pressures they have to run on.....I also don`t use sway control devices of any type or weight distributing hitches as crutches......I`ve only put about 1000 miles on the 17' and at least 20,000 miles on the 13'....but then...to each his own!... ....Benny
The original spec sheet in the closet door of our boler is ST with a "b" sidewall rating.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #15

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I had a flat on the Element yesterday. I was on the freeway and didn't feel it, but some nice person pulled up next to me and warned me I was real low.

Seeing what happened to my sidewall driving on 1/2 pressure at freeway speeds, I would be more comfy with the a thicker wall. By the time I stopped, the tire still had air, but was riding on the sidewall. Totally destroyed, or, at least, pretty mangled. (I picked up the leavings of a sheetrockers truck. Nails and screws, not to mention a bunch other sharp stuff)

That being said, and the fact that I did not FEEL it (I would have if I drove another mile, for sure) may say something for it tho.

Tire expert, I ain't..

But I do know how to change one I got to use those tools I paid way to much for 3 years ago, and see my stupid donut spare.

sigh .... tire shop tomorrow. Ick.
We purchase the car with a full tow package so full size spare, was told this is because we would not be able to tow with the donut size in trunk for standard spare.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #16

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmarlo View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. I talked to some former SurfSide owners in my town and they told me that it shouldn't matter if I put P185 tires on my trailer. The guys I talked to said that the ST tire is more of a trailer tire but that I wouldnt' ever require the amount of weight those tires are made for and as long as I wasn't trying to race people that I shouldn't run into any problems. I just installed the tires last night and re-packed the bearing with a friend of mine.

I know that when I travel into states and driving on Interstate highways, I'll be the guy on the right side of the road doing 55 miles per hour while most other people are zooming by doing 70. That's fine. I camp because it's to get away for the weekend or go on a small trip. I am not retired etc. and driving around North America touring etc. I think the P tires should be just fine.

It was a total toss up. I really appreciated hearing from everyone and getting their input.
Thanks agian as this site is a GOLDMINE for information.
Hope you accounted for the 10% reduced load capacity while towing with P rated tires. Have fun and drive safe.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #17

Ontario
Registry
Just checked the sticker on the door says trailer tires size is "B75x14 b" the replacements "st205/75r14 b" would be the modern equivalent in radial trailer tires.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
In my experience none ST tires on a trailer result in a bit of a rougher ride - to much bounce. As a result I stick with ST radials on my trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #19

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
When buying tires I always insist that they be dated at less than 6 months old. If all that's on the shelf is older tires, I ask them to either order fresh tires or I would shop elsewhere.

FWIW: In years of RV'ing, with between 2 and 6 tires on the rv, the only tires I have ever had fail were Michelin's on a mini-van, with less than 1 year of use and 10,000 miles on them.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #20

Ontario
Registry
st205/75r14 c trailer tires we purchased ride very well pulls like a dream at 90 kph

Tags
tires