Persistent Brake Problem - 2019 Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2021, 11:37 AM   #1

Name: Alan
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Persistent Brake Problem - 2019 Scamp 13

Our Scamp 13 has the brakes and controller (Autowbrake) installed by Eveland. Everything works fine heading out, but after about 2 hours of use and when braking at < 20mph, the brakes lock up and the tires skid. No problems when braking at > 30mph.

We've been to a reputable RV repair place 3 times, and worked with Autowbrake twice. It's not a controller issue, and the controller is at the lowest setting.

Has anybody run into this?

Thanks!
ALaity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
What controller are you using?

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Had an issue like that when we had contaminated brake pads... grease on the them. But I assume your reputable shop that looked at it three times has already removed the hubs and inspected the brakes since that basic step 1.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:01 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
What controller are you using?

--Dan Meyer

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your interest. The controller is from Autowbrake, supplied and factory-installed by Eveland (Scamp Trailers).
Old 11-13-2021, 06:07 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Had an issue like that when we had contaminated brake pads... grease on the them. But I assume your reputable shop that looked at it three times has already removed the hubs and inspected the brakes since that basic step 1.
Hi Gordon,
Yes, they looked at them on the first visit, and cleaned up one and resealed.

I read a post somewhere (can't find it now) that spoke of overheating and the brake needed to be adjusted. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
Old 11-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I have Tekonsha controller, so I don't know much about yours. That said, I have found that I do need to adjust the controller after the first several stops.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #7

Name: Roy
Trailer: currently shopping
Florida
My experience with your problem.

I had the same problem of brake lock up. It was with a Tekonsha "Timed" controller. Regardless of the settings, the brakes would lock up. That type controller applies current initially, then ramps it up the longer the brake is applied.
I finally changed out the controller for a "Proportional" type that matches the brake current to the deceleration rate of your stops, problem solved.
Good luck
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #8

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I had the same problem of brake lock up. It was with a Tekonsha "Timed" controller. Regardless of the settings, the brakes would lock up. That type controller applies current initially, then ramps it up the longer the brake is applied.
I finally changed out the controller for a "Proportional" type that matches the brake current to the deceleration rate of your stops, problem solved.
Good luck
I had exactly the same experience. Never an issue with the Tekonsha Progeny Proportional controller.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:37 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
I have Tekonsha controller, so I don't know much about yours. That said, I have found that I do need to adjust the controller after the first several stops.

--Dan Meyer
Thank you, Dan!

I confirmed with an Autowbrake technician that the controller setting is as low as it can go.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:39 AM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Good luck
Hi Roy,
I believe the Autowbrake controller is proportional, but I will double-check that. Thanks for the interest!
Old 11-14-2021, 01:41 AM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
I had exactly the same experience. Never an issue with the Tekonsha Progeny Proportional controller.
Hi Dennis,
I'm pretty sure the Autowbrake controller is proportional, but I will double-check that. Thanks for the interest!
Old 11-14-2021, 05:45 AM   #12

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I have an autowbrake controller on my 2019 Scamp 13. It works fine. My thought is the sensors in the controller might be messed up. Does Autowbrake have some advanced troubleshooting advice? Can you go back to factory settings and recalibrate for your install? Can they replace your controller with a new one ?
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I suggest that you go back to your manual and start your set-up over again.
There may be both a "power" adjustment and a "boost" adjustment.
That's likely where the problem is.
Unless this is what you have?....(not an endorsement of the advice below)

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
I have an autowbrake controller on my 2019 Scamp 13. It works fine. My thought is the sensors in the controller might be messed up. Does Autowbrake have some advanced troubleshooting advice? Can you go back to factory settings and recalibrate for your install? Can they replace your controller with a new one ?
Hi Tony!

Thank you for your interest and advice

Troubleshooting: An Autowbrake technician advised me to check the voltage going into as well as out of the controller. Input was >12V. The desired output is less than 1V, and my multimeter showed ~0.5V.

Recalibration: Calibration is for the unit to know what is level in terms of roll pitch and yaw (0 degrees on X, Y, and Z axes). I did recalibrate, though it is only needed when the controller is moved and remounted.

Settings: The controller is on setting 1 (for trailers <3500 lb) and gain is 0 (levels are 0-6).
Old 11-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I suggest that you go back to your manual and start your set-up over again.
There may be both a "power" adjustment and a "boost" adjustment.
That's likely where the problem is.
Unless this is what you have?....(not an endorsement of the advice below)
Hi Floyd - great to hear from you!

Yes, that is the controller we have (purchased from and installed by the Eveland folks, not etrailers). The controller power setting is 1 (for trailers <3500 lb) and the boost is 0 (levels are 0-6). So it's at the lightest setting, and all indications are the controller itself works fine.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALaity View Post
Hi Floyd - great to hear from you!

Yes, that is the controller we have (purchased from and installed by the Eveland folks, not etrailers). The controller power setting is 1 (for trailers <3500 lb) and the boost is 0 (levels are 0-6). So it's at the lightest setting, and all indications are the controller itself works fine.
Did you adjust the brakes?
As you likely know, I am considered by some to be a Luddite on this subject, but I prefer my tow vehicles to be equipped to tow.
Every new thing is not necessarily an improvement.
WARNING... It is not wise to wire brake power to a lighting circuit.
There are good alternatives.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #17

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Did you adjust the brakes?.
I'm also in the Floyd camp on this.

It seems like you might have the mechanical portion of the brakes adjusted too tight.
Take a peek at some youtube videos on how to mechanically adjust the brakes and see if that helps.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:01 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Did you adjust the brakes?
As you likely know, I am considered by some to be a Luddite on this subject, but I prefer my tow vehicles to be equipped to tow.
Every new thing is not necessarily an improvement.
WARNING... It is not wise to wire brake power to a lighting circuit.
There are good alternatives.
Hi Floyd,

No, I haven't adjusted the brakes (yet). Not something I'm familiar with, but definitely the next step I was leaning toward. I was hoping to find specific guidance on how, so I think I will call Scamp to see what brakes they had put on, so I can find the appropriate how-to video and tool. That or find a place that works on simple flat-bed trailers and let them do it.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:05 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I'm also in the Floyd camp on this.

It seems like you might have the mechanical portion of the brakes adjusted too tight.
Take a peek at some youtube videos on how to mechanically adjust the brakes and see if that helps.
Thank you, Alan! Two votes now for mechanically adjusting the brakes. Seems like the way to go!
Old 11-15-2021, 09:23 AM   #20

Registry
Brake adjustment is fairly simple.
Here is a video which might help.
A couple of points not covered...
1] You can check your progress by spinning the wheel but it is not necessary to keep it spinning through the whole process.
2] Your brakes may have two access ports or it may only have one.
3] The video assumes that the brakes are loose, start with the wheel spinning freely, then tighten as shown.

Tags
scamp