Persistent Brake Problem - 2019 Scamp 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALaity View Post
Yes, they looked at them on the first visit, and cleaned up one and resealed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALaity View Post
No, I haven't adjusted the brakes (yet). Not something I'm familiar with, but definitely the next step I was leaning toward. ....
Your shop must have adjusted the starwheel on the brakes when they took the hubs off.. if they did not then they are very incompetent. Anyway if you raise the wheel off the ground and it rotates freely with no more than a slight resistance at one or a few spots in the rotation, then the brakes are not too tight.

It would be really good to test the trailer with a different tow veh with a different controller, but I understand that if the problem takes two hours to show up that might be difficult to arrange.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #22

Name: Alan
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When I asked about adjusting the brakes, they seemed satisfied that they could hear the brakes click when activated. I guess it didn't occur to them the brakes might be too tight. I suspect their strengths lie more with Class A, B, and C RVs.

I think I will try loosening the brakes a tad and see how they behave after driving a while. There must be a shop somewhere close to the SF East Bay that only does trailers, so I will turn to them if I can't get it resolved.
ALaity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #23

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Once it's adjusted it should be fine, down the road the adjustment screw will need to have antiseize put to the threads so it will move and not seize up, if it sets for 3 years they might not turn.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #24

Name: Alan
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Thanks, Roger!
Good advice
ALaity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:26 PM   #25

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Just wondering how this turned out? I’m considering the Autowbrake and going through the archives looking for peoples’ experiences.
Thanks!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:01 AM   #26

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
What controller are you using?

--Dan Meyer
Autowbrake. It is the option that Scamp offers https://getautowbrake.com/. The system/controller is mounted on the trailer and you get a key fob with it.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:57 AM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
I got the Autowbrake on my new Scamp last month, and so far I like it a lot. I've always used a Tekonsha controller in my TV in the past, but thought I'd give the Autowbrake a try. I can't really tell much difference between the two. I don't have the Tekonsha hooked up right now.

Dave
theremin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp