Placement of rear view / backup camera? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #41

Name: Terry
Trailer: 2013 Trillium 1300
California
My camera is inside the trailer, clipped to the bottom channel of the rear window. I made the mounting platform from a rat snap trap. The extended platform is needed because I use a bullet security camera with a 38° viewing angle, which gives a more realistic perception of distance than does a typical vehicle backup camera with a wider angle.
Attached Thumbnails
tc1.JPG   tc2.JPG  

Terry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
A good pair of extension mirrors works for me. And, they are both convex (OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR)

Regulation in BC is for non-distorting mirrors. You might want to check your state/prov.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #43

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Regulation in BC is for non-distorting mirrors. You might want to check your state/prov.
I had never heard that before. Does that mean that when American come to BC they have to change their right side mirror?

There is a good reason for a convex mirror there. Looking through a mirror is like looking through a peep hole. The further away you are the less you can see so the hole has to get larger to be able to see much. With a mirror it can be made convex to restore some of the field of vision.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is what it says. I don't expect there would be any enforcement.
This is what the BC Motor Vehicle Act says on that subject:
(4) Where a trailer or semitrailer in a combination of vehicles diminishes the driver's reflected rear view through the rear view mirrors required by subsections (1) to (3), the towing vehicle in the combination of vehicles shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, one affixed to each side of the motor vehicle, and each to provide the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway from a point on the road surface 11 m behind the driver to a point on the road surface 61 m from the rear of the combination of vehicles.
[en. B.C. Reg. 5/83, s. 2.]

You'll have to look up your own jurisdiction.

Both of my towing mirrors are flat, which allows me to see a greater distance than convex would. I have a couple two-inch convex mirrors as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Milenco .jpg