Placement of rear view / backup camera? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
Oregon
Placement of rear view / backup camera?

For those of you who have installed a rearview camera on your trailers, can you share a picture or describe where and how you mounted it?

I want one primarily to see the lane behind me while traveling, but also as a secondary aid for backing up.

We're pulling a 2005 Scamp 19' 5th wheel.
Ottoscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottoscamp View Post
For those of you who have installed a rearview camera on your trailers, can you share a picture or describe where and how you mounted it?

I want one primarily to see the lane behind me while traveling, but also as a secondary aid for backing up.

We're pulling a 2005 Scamp 19' 5th wheel.
Paul,

I mounted mine on a bracket underneath the cabinets over the rear dinette, INSIDE the trailer. I did it this way to protect the camera and keep it out of the weather. Because it is infrared for nighttime use and infrared rays “reflect” of the window glass, it is absolutely useless after dark. But I always get off the road and into my stopping site before the sun goes down. The only towing I do when it is dark is when I leave before sunrise if I want to get an early start. I typically switch the system off when driving unless I am in an urban area or traffic is heavy, and when backing into a campsite. It works for me but if you frequently arrive at your destination after sunset, you would want to mount it on the back of the trailer.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottoscamp View Post

You'd be better off looking forward, far down the road ahead, so that you don't have to fret about the guy behind you.
As for backing into campsites, I get out and look ( for things like boulders and kids bikes ), and I use my mirrors.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #4

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You'd be better off looking forward, far down the road ahead, so that you don't have to fret about the guy behind you.
As for backing into campsites, I get out and look ( for things like boulders and kids bikes ), and I use my mirrors.
Perhaps some people prefer to have a very good view of whatever is directly behind them which cannot be seen in mirrors. So maybe you are better off looking forward, as far down the road ahead as possible, but others may find it beneficial to glance momentarily rearward, as I was taught and was stated in the New Hampshire Driver’s Manual where I was issued my first license to drive many years ago at the age of 16. Any good driver should be aware of what is around him/her (360°), and not just what is ahead. Perhaps you’d be better off to consider checking your six occasionally rather than developing a case of forward facing tunnel vision. And to set the record straight, when I back into a campsite I check it first for any hazards and use all the vision technology available to me; that includes mirrors as well as a camera. People who use cameras should not be chided or denigrated by others who view themselves as being experts in the skill of safe driving.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:01 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I have ours under the rear cabinets inside the trailer. No infrared so works great day or night. I have it wired to the running lights and have lights wired to reverse.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
People who use cameras should not be chided or denigrated by others who view themselves as being experts in the skill of safe driving.

That'll make for an interesting forum - no opinions.
Don't tell your insurance company that you were looking at your monitor or that you were looking in your mirror either. Won't be a good outcome.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:57 PM   #7

Florida
Registry
Quote:
That'll make for an interesting forum - no opinions.
Don't tell your insurance company that you were looking at your monitor or that you were looking in your mirror either. Won't be a good outcome.
I’m not anti-opinion, I just take umbrage when the majority of someone’s posts are not helpful and often come across as negative or sarcastic. In 54 years of driving I have been involved in one accident; I was rear-ended by someone who was looking forward and misjudged the distance to where I and another driver were stopped for another driver in front of us who was making a left turn. You would do well to worry about what you might have to say to your insurance company rather than what anyone else might say. And getting back to opinions, we all know what they are like......
Old 04-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #8

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
If i were to lose my rear view mirror in my pickup I would replace it. The rear camera is my rearview mirror while I'm towing. Our 17' Boler is wider than our Colorado so the camera is a safety device.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #9

Quote:
I’m not anti-opinion, I just take umbrage when the majority of someone’s posts are not helpful and often come across as negative or sarcastic.

Well, that's your opinion.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #10

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Well, that's your opinion.
As well as that of many others. Have a nice day!
Old 04-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
I was rear-ended by someone who was looking forward and misjudged the distance to where I and another driver were stopped for another driver in front of us who was making a left turn.

And, how did the rear view camera help in this instance?
Old 04-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
If i were to lose my rear view mirror in my pickup I would replace it. The rear camera is my rearview mirror while I'm towing. Our 17' Boler is wider than our Colorado so the camera is a safety device.

This is what the BC Motor Vehicle Act says on that subject:
(4) Where a trailer or semitrailer in a combination of vehicles diminishes the driver's reflected rear view through the rear view mirrors required by subsections (1) to (3), the towing vehicle in the combination of vehicles shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, one affixed to each side of the motor vehicle, and each to provide the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway from a point on the road surface 11 m behind the driver to a point on the road surface 61 m from the rear of the combination of vehicles.
[en. B.C. Reg. 5/83, s. 2.]
Old 04-29-2019, 07:19 PM   #13

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
(4) Where a trailer or semitrailer in a combination of vehicles diminishes the driver's reflected rear view through the rear view mirrors required by subsections (1) to (3), the towing vehicle in the combination of vehicles shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, one affixed to each side of the motor vehicle, and each to provide the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway from a point on the road surface 11 m behind the driver to a point on the road surface 61 m from the rear of the combination of vehicles.
But that was written before rear view cameras were even imagined.
So yes, to satisfy the law, 2 mirrors will do the trick.
But the OP wasn't asking about the law was he?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:25 PM   #14

Florida
Registry
Quote:
And, how did the rear view camera help in this instance?
It happened in 1972 before rear view cameras were in use. Had I glanced in the rear view mirror rather than keeping my eyes in front of me then I might have seen it coming and been able to take evasive action.

Quote:
Well, reading that it seems that the BC Motor Vehicle Act’s authors believe it is important to have devices that allow the driver to see rearward, and consequently, are meant to be used rather than only looking forward. There is only one difference between glancing at a rear view monitor or a side/rear view mirror. The mirror generally allows one to see blind spots on one side or the other; the camera allows one to see a huge blind spot created by a trailer. In reality, cameras and mirrors are complimentary.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
But the OP wasn't asking about the law was he?

Nope. But, having information is generally good.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #16

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
So my pickup obides by the law as far as rearview door mirrors go. As well as any of the 5 ton trucks I have driven for work. My pickup and trailer have a better view all around than any 5 ton I have ever driven. Thats because of the rear camera.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #17

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I don't need to step into the middle of this, but I would like to note the OP's opening line was, "For those of you who have installed a rearview camera ..." So it appears to me that those who have not installed a rearview camera need not reply. With that out of the way, I have installed one, mounted it inside, using a cell phone suction cup mount to attach it to the rear window looking out. While on the road, my wife uses it to keep me informed of any traffic sneaking up directly behind us while I keep an eye on traffic ahead and to both sides. Works well for us. We like the security of it being mounted inside the camper when we make stops along the way for food, sightseeing, etc.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:25 PM   #18

And there you go. More opinions advancing the value of a rear view camera.
My knickers are not in a knot.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #19

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
For what it's worth, we like the rearview camera on our camper so much, that we've already purchased an additional wireless camera/monitor system to mount on the rear of an enclosed 16' cargo trailer we have on order. I'd love to mount the camera inside again for security, but since the cargo trailer doesn't have a rear window to view out, we'll hard-mount the camera outside to the steel framework above the rear door drawing power from the nearby marker lights. We always have our lights on while traveling, so that should work fine for us.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:39 PM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
Oregon
Quote:
Had I glanced in the rear view mirror rather than keeping my eyes in front of me then I might have seen it coming and been able to take evasive action.
I experienced that just four years ago. Coming to a quick stop in a minivan on a two-lane (60 MPH) for a surprise left turner (two vehicles between me and him, including one with a trailer), I had to brake suddenly and instinctively looked in my rear-me. I saw that the pickup coming up behind me wasn't going to stop in time and cranked my wheels to the right. Instead of being sandwiched between him and the trailer in front of me, he shoved me into the right corner of the trailer, spinning me sideways. Yeah, I can't see how side mirrors and a camera could be a bad thing.

Speaking of which, and reiterating my original question, are there others out there with cameras who could describe or provide a photo of their placement?
Ottoscamp is offline   Reply With Quote