Placement of rear view / backup camera? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Back window custom bracket.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190429_200855.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	129105Click image for larger version

Name:	20190429_200906.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	129106
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:30 AM   #22

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
mine..

the camera is powered/wired to a light circuit running in the bottom of rear overhead cabinet (where the sender unit "lives")...the monitor is hung on the rearview mirror in the TV

takes a lot of "stress" out of towing a trailer...once you tow with one, you'll never go back
Attached Thumbnails
rearcam1.jpg   rearcam2.jpg  

rearcam3.jpg   rearcam4.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Mounted above the rear window angled down enough to monitor my two bikes on the rack in case the giant "bag" cover over them should somehow work loose or the bikes begin wiggling loose in the rack. Field of view is still plenty of degrees to watch oncoming traffic behind me.

Oregon requires slower moving vehicles slowing 6 or more vehicles behind you to pull over at turn outs to let that traffic pass.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:56 AM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
So now we're to remove mirrors. Glenn, this is the GOOFIEST post I've ever seen from you. Yep...and that's my "opinion".

Yes, I have a rear-view camera and agree with CPW 100% I've had near escapes when a vehicle was on my bumper and I started to get over and they started around me at the same time! The camera prevents that because now I can see directly behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That'll make for an interesting forum - no opinions.
Don't tell your insurance company that you were looking at your monitor or that you were looking in your mirror either. Won't be a good outcome.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
So now we're to remove mirrors. Glenn, this is the GOOFIEST post I've ever seen from you. Yep...and that's my "opinion".

Not going to disagree, other than to say I didn't say anything about removing mirrors; just don't admit you took your eyes off the road ahead.
It's from actual experience.
I pulled into the company parking lot and glanced in the mirror to ensure my brother was following me in his car. As I did that, I turned into a traffic lane, with the arrow on the pavement in my favour. There was a car driving the wrong way ( against the arrow ). I hit the brakes, but still hit him.
I was found at fault because I checked my mirror. I also learned that the arrows and signage in a private lot carry no legal weight.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #26

Why didnt you say that to start with and woulda saved me a blood pressure spike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Not going to disagree, other than to say I didn't say anything about removing mirrors; just don't admit you took your eyes off the road ahead.
It's from actual experience.
I pulled into the company parking lot and glanced in the mirror to ensure my brother was following me in his car. As I did that, I turned into a traffic lane, with the arrow on the pavement in my favour. There was a car driving the wrong way ( against the arrow ). I hit the brakes, but still hit him.
I was found at fault because I checked my mirror. I also learned that the arrows and signage in a private lot carry no legal weight.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #27

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
and shoud add....

for backing up..as into a camping spot.....I found it to be USELESS.....LOL
just fine for seeing if there's anything in the way at first....but as far manouvering/turning into a spot...forget it!!! WAY too confusing somehow (for me anyway), fail every time...LOL....rely on good old fashioned side mirrors for that operation
Attached Thumbnails
fixit.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #28

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
Here is a link to a You Tube video on how to make and install a rear camera. Cheap too!
https://youtu.be/6UIG-31UCFU
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #29

Name: Alex
Washington
Registry
I recently inquired about backup cameras at the local car electronics retail store. While there it occurred to me that it sure would be nice if the GPS screen showed the backup camera (as in most automobile infotainment screens). The sales guy there told me that doesn't exist yet in aftermarket products. He was wrong. The Garmin rv 770 (and some of their other models) has an optional wireless camera that feeds the gps screen. I got the gps, and when I'm ready for a backup camera I'll get the Garmin one. Sorry I'm not directly answering the OPs question, but hopefully a reader finds this tidbit useful.

Alex
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
A good pair of extension mirrors works for me. And, they are both convex (OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR)
they provide a wider field of view than flat mirrors, and afford a view of what's behind the trailer.
Having better, brighter, more noticeable tail, stop, & turn lights on the rear of the trailer would alert the guy behind you as to your intensions. Unfortunately, with the prevalence of distracted drivers, even that is no help against the jerk who is texting….
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #31

Mine is on the licence plate bracket, which is just below the driver side stop lights. It is not centered with the trailer, but the view angle of the camera is so wide that is doesn't matter much wether it is offset of not.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #32

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
I recently inquired about backup cameras at the local car electronics retail store. While there it occurred to me that it sure would be nice if the GPS screen showed the backup camera (as in most automobile infotainment screens). The sales guy there told me that doesn't exist yet in aftermarket products. He was wrong. The Garmin rv 770 (and some of their other models) has an optional wireless camera that feeds the gps screen. I got the gps, and when I'm ready for a backup camera I'll get the Garmin one. Sorry I'm not directly answering the OPs question, but hopefully a reader finds this tidbit useful.

Alex
The only problem with, and this IS my opinion, is that Garmin navigation is far inferior to using a smart phone and Google Maps. My two Garmins have both gotten me into some tacky locations and routed me in round about ways. Personally, I will use my Voyager for rear view visibility and my iPhone for navigation as I see no need to drive 15 extra minutes or miles due to the Garmin’s shortcomings.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:51 PM   #33

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottoscamp View Post

Speaking of which, and reiterating my original question, are there others out there with cameras who could describe or provide a photo of their placement?

We primarily rely on towing mirrors while driving. The rear camera is helpful for monitoring a tailgater but, given the relatively wide angle lens of most of these cameras, resolution not so useful for further back. The rear camera is however especially valuable to us in numerous tight situations - particularly in parking lots, gas stations etc when you might need to back up a few feet to maneuver.

In our scamp 13 we mount our wireless unit inside, clipped to the bottom of the rear window frame. Advantage of inside is the camera is protected from weather and vandals; disadvantage is when we stop for more than a night, I like to disconnect it and get it out of the window (inside it is easy to tap into the tail light wiring for power) . Someday I might deal with the external power wiring issues and mount it outside and out of the way and just replace the camera if something happens to it.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:32 PM   #34

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottoscamp View Post
For those of you who have installed a rearview camera on your trailers, can you share a picture or describe where and how you mounted it?

I want one primarily to see the lane behind me while traveling, but also as a secondary aid for backing up.

We're pulling a 2005 Scamp 19' 5th wheel.
We put one on our motorhome when the wide angle lens burned a hole in our rear windowshade. We mounted it a little to the side and on a trailer that could be next to the spare if there is one or around the license plate. Actually they make a camera that mounts to the license plate frame. We find the camera to be very useful to see behind us and make sure what is behind us. It is nice to see if someone is about to run over you or if it is safe to change lanes. It has saved us many times. You are wise to get one. They make a monitor that attaches to your rear view mirror. We have a 7" monitor but I'd opt for a smaller one or on the rear view mirror type. The bigger the monitor the harder it is to mount it out of the way. Ours works at night also.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #35

Name: Tom
Trailer: Northern Lite
tomswell
OEM Dodge option

After disappointment with Boyo bluetooth and resulting poor image I resorted to this.
[URL="https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/rvs/d/santa-cruz-oem-dodge-camera-for-camper/6879753466.html"]

I think that there is no better thing than having your human partner spot for hazards. It's a mantra that is revered at every take off and shut down.
tomswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #36

Name: Bob
Trailer: Jayco
Colorado
What a great "anti-tech", "pro-tech" debate; of course it is a literal "to each there own", no reason to decry tech if you don't like it tho. Now to the post below. I agree completely (traditional GPS is inferior to smart phone), BUT that is only half the story. I travel for work to odd locations daily/weekly in the Colorado front range. Always dismissed typical GPS (and I've been a digital map guy since delorme in the 90's because of work) as it picks a route and doesnt provide great overview.

HOWEVER I now use BOTH because when I have no data on the phone, my Garmen GPS is a great back up (I claim these types are best for figuring out primarily where you actually are, hell I know where I want to BE! : )

I changed on the basic head unit in my Tundra, it has (my backup) Garmin GPS that I end up using monthly AND has the capacity for two backup cameras. Problem solved TWO cameras and TWO GPS's (OK obviously I'm pro tech). I have not mounted to camper yet, hense why I was reading this post and finding I was "stupid" ; ) to want a camera (gonna have to go tear all that stuff outa the truck now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
The only problem with, and this IS my opinion, is that Garmin navigation is far inferior to using a smart phone and Google Maps.
rlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #37

Name: Alex
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
The only problem with, and this IS my opinion, is that Garmin navigation is far inferior to using a smart phone and Google Maps. My two Garmins have both gotten me into some tacky locations and routed me in round about ways. Personally, I will use my Voyager for rear view visibility and my iPhone for navigation as I see no need to drive 15 extra minutes or miles due to the Garmin’s shortcomings.
Yes, google maps is better navigation---when you have cell signal. Out in the boonies, not so much. So since I'm going to get navigation that works when I'm unplugged, might as well get one with a backup camera option. Then I don't have a separate screen for the camera, and I surely would never need navigation when backing up ;-)
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #38

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
We will be looking for something a little more complicated, we are anticipating six cameras and a head unit that can send the video from various cameras to various monitors. We would also like the head unit to do all-stream video recording.

Dodge Dakota with 30' custom fiberglass fiver. Cameras:
Pair L/R sides of trailer, facing back, about at Dakota rear axle.
Pair L/R sides of trailer, facing back, a bit behind trailer axle.
One wide-angle on trailer for parking.
One wide-angle on back of cab for hookup.

The paired cameras to feed monitors inboard of the regular side mirrors.
The rearview to feed a monitor above the regular rearview mirror. Set up as switchable between parking and hookup views.

Anyone have any suggestions about existing systems and vendors? Fully wired system preferred. Can scratch-build if needed.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
I use mine inside the camper pointing out the back window as well. I disabled the infrared leds so that it can be used at night and i also use an android video sender box to send the video to my phone in the front of the car.
It is useful to have in addition to mirrors. Only thing that becomes and issue with having it mounted inside is when it rains there the glare makes it difficult to see anything or when the rear of the window gets dirty after many miles of driving. I usually just clean the rear window when i get gas and it has worked out well for a year so far.
Also, i mounted some auxiliary back-up lights on the rear bumper to help light up the campsite when backing up. I often arrive after dark as we usually do weekend camping and try to leave on friday nights after work.
Attached Thumbnails
20180427_005355.jpg   20180427_005013.jpg  

20180430_111726.jpg  
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #40

Trailer: in the market
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomcat316 View Post
We will be looking for something a little more complicated, we are anticipating six cameras and a head unit that can send the video from various cameras to various monitors. We would also like the head unit to do all-stream video recording.

Dodge Dakota with 30' custom fiberglass fiver. Cameras:
Pair L/R sides of trailer, facing back, about at Dakota rear axle.
Pair L/R sides of trailer, facing back, a bit behind trailer axle.
One wide-angle on trailer for parking.
One wide-angle on back of cab for hookup.

The paired cameras to feed monitors inboard of the regular side mirrors.
The rearview to feed a monitor above the regular rearview mirror. Set up as switchable between parking and hookup views.

Anyone have any suggestions about existing systems and vendors? Fully wired system preferred. Can scratch-build if needed.
This is the best and most to the point response in the three pages of this thread.

I believe the placement of the first pair was supposed to say "Pair L/R sides of truck" (not trailer).

I would modify the camera placement to move the trailer side cameras to the rear of the trailer so that they could view directly behind the trailer as well as to the rear and sides. It might be necessary to add a guide wire in the view of the camera so you could tell where the edge of the trailer would be if it extended beyond the camera, like it would in the original placement suggestion.

I would then move the camera from the rear to the roof because I have a problem with judging whether that branch, canopy, garage door opening or awning will really clear the a/c unit. This would probably require a rear facing and a forward facing camera on the roof.

Depending on whether you have a 5er or a bumper-pull you might want to have a high mount brake light camera or a licence plate camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
I use mine inside the camper pointing out the back window as well. I disabled the infrared leds so that it can be used at night and i also use an android video sender box to send the video to my phone in the front of the car.
It is useful to have in addition to mirrors. Only thing that becomes and issue with having it mounted inside is when it rains there the glare makes it difficult to see anything or when the rear of the window gets dirty after many miles of driving. I usually just clean the rear window when i get gas and it has worked out well for a year so far.
Also, i mounted some auxiliary back-up lights on the rear bumper to help light up the campsite when backing up. I often arrive after dark as we usually do weekend camping and try to leave on friday nights after work.
I like the inside mounting but it would be nice if it could be coupled with IR leds mounted outside. I'm not sure how that would be arranged but I'm sure it could be done.

Something to consider is that many old cell phones have perfectly good cameras in them that are reasonably high quality. Often there is nothing wrong with that phone except that it is outdated, the battery has gone bad or the screen is cracked. None of those problems prevent the camera from being used.

You can install a camera app on the phone that will allow the camera to communicate with other devices. There are lots of these apps in the associated app stores.

A cell phone can be mounted to the inside of a trailer, truck cab window or car rear window and powered by a car adapter. There are even enclosures that would allow the phone to be used outside. They can link via bluetooth or wifi to a tablet or laptop in the cab to give a very large view of the rear camera(s).

It would be pretty easy to have six or more cameras displayed at once on a large screen using the right software on the tablet. When needed a single image could fill the whole screen.

I'm not going to name particular software because there are lots of apps and I haven't checked out many of them but you don't have to look very hard for the apps to make this all happen.

As far as the window spotting problem, I have found that RainX works well to improve glass cleanliness and to keep the spots from forming.

I'd be more inclined to use cameras and IR LEDs to light up behind the trailer than bright backup lights and mirrors at night because you won't have any friends in the park if you show up at midnight with daylight grade backup lights.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote