Preferred landing gear/swivel jack? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2024, 07:56 AM   #1

Name: Molly
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Preferred landing gear/swivel jack?

Hi all, our landing gear is about to bite the dust! We have a welded-on top wind swivel jack with a plate foot. Our 13' Scamp is light enough that I was thinking it might be nice to have a wheel foot jack that we can use to move it onto the hitch ball better without having to back up so precisely. When camping, we chock the tires and have two stabilizer jacks in the rear, but would a wheel on the front jack be a bad idea? What kind of swivel jacks do you light campers use?
NCW Scamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 09:49 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Yes on the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCW Scamping View Post
Hi all, our landing gear is about to bite the dust! We have a welded-on top wind swivel jack with a plate foot. Our 13' Scamp is light enough that I was thinking it might be nice to have a wheel foot jack that we can use to move it onto the hitch ball better without having to back up so precisely. When camping, we chock the tires and have two stabilizer jacks in the rear, but would a wheel on the front jack be a bad idea? What kind of swivel jacks do you light campers use?
It is very handy to have a wheel on the jack, but it must be removable unless the jack swings up. Mine rides low and would hit at some gas stations so I swap between the wheel and the foot. This may also be your chance to go electric.
Attached Thumbnails
11 Scamp A frame 2018.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 09:51 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I prefer the flat foot for stability when parked and clearance when raised (wheel must be removed and stored). I can easily lift and slide the tongue of my 13’er a few inches to connect when needed. I don’t lift it all the way off the ground, just enough to slide it. (I have only a single LP tank and a small G24 battery.)

Added bonus of a flat foot is it acts like a skid plate for low speed tongue strikes. The bare pole will more easily catch and bend. It’s not a substitute for careful driving, but it does help, and it’s been tested on several occasions.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 12:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I reworked my front tongue jack with a Jack-E-Up mount for it. It requires a mere 1/3 turn to actually remove the jack completely for transit. It also allows me to use whatever I want on the bottom, (wheel, flat shoe, etc.) all of which are removeable and interchangeable. I also use a wheel moving it around in the driveway, but I scrapped the little 4" plastic wheel for a 6" lubed bearing wheel designed originally for use as a heavy duty machinery caster. I adapted it to a spare flat "shoe" pad. Now i put the tongue on the hitch and as I wind the hitch up, I remove the landing gear and just throw the jack and landing gear in the bed of the truck while hauling the trailer. The larger wheel also makes it much easier to move the trailer around in the driveway.

https://littlehousecustoms.com/store.html#rung (scroll down about a little over half-way on the page to get to the Jack-E-Up.)
Attached Thumbnails
Jack-E-Up.JPG   Tonguewheel2.jpg  

Tonguewheel1.jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 07:00 PM   #5

Name: Molly
Washington
Thanks for these tips and pics everyone! It really helps to hear what you prefer.
NCW Scamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 07:13 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
I have had a sixteen-foot Scamp for twelve years. During those years, I have had a love, hate relationship with my driveway approach, my jack, my hitch. Two years ago, I had the bright idea of putting a heavy-duty jack on, with a wheel. It took quite a bit of abuse, until our last, just finished trip around Lake Superior (amazing). It occurs to me I was having more wheel hits than usual. Then it came to me, you've got the hitch for the boat, not the camper. After some self-criticism, I purchased a new hitch, got my two inches back. The next stop, the jack was so bent my beast mode was able to strip the jack.
I bought a new jack, threw my wheel away, colored tape on the hitches.
Highly recommend the Lake Superior Circle tour. Four things you won't see as much of, billboards, developed land, trash in the ditch, and plastic bags.
Old 06-19-2024, 04:17 AM   #7

Name: Steven
Trailer: Trillium
Indiana
Registry
Maybe both?

If you have space on the frame, perhaps you can add a second jack.
This has worked very well on our Trillium 4500. I use the original flat plate jack for leveling and stability. I added the clamp-on jack just for pushing the camper around on our drive.
Attached Thumbnails
20240619_055322.jpg  
Steve Hague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 06:28 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: Beachcomber B-15
Ontario
When mine is finally roadworthy I'll be using my 18V Dewalt drill to operate the welded on A-Frame jack with a flat foot and a separate interchangeable wheel that would replace the foot for ease of movement.
Sprintst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 01:46 PM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
OK I used to drive trucks so have a lot of experience in backing. I find that I really don't have that much trouble lining up. This is especially true now that I have a TV with a backup camera. One thing I did that helps for both camera and vision based backing in. I spray painted the hitch yellow.

For those wheels you really need a very flat hard surface. Usually if the surface is good enough for the wheel they a flat plate with the edges turned up will work a about as well.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 01:50 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: Beachcomber B-15
Ontario
I'm an old guy. My intended use for the wheel is solely for ease of movement around my paved driveway as required. Good idea about spraying the hitch.

Cheers!
Sprintst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 01:59 PM   #11

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
We need a thumbs up to click!

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
OK I used to drive trucks so have a lot of experience in backing. I find that I really don't have that much trouble lining up. This is especially true now that I have a TV with a backup camera. One thing I did that helps for both camera and vision based backing in. I spray painted the hitch yellow.For those wheels you really need a very flat hard surface. Usually if the surface is good enough for the wheel they a flat plate with the edges turned up will work a about as well.
When back-up cameras came out I thought that they were a really stupid idea. Now that both of mine have the camera I think that they are great. Being an ex-truck driver I strongly dis like ball hitches, nothing beats the convenience of an actual fifth wheel. Close counts in grenades, horse shoes, and fifth wheels!
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 03:42 PM   #12

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
When back-up cameras came out I thought that they were a really stupid idea. Now that both of mine have the camera I think that they are great. Being an ex-truck driver I strongly dis like ball hitches, nothing beats the convenience of an actual fifth wheel. Close counts in grenades, horse shoes, and fifth wheels!

Yeah. Would be nice to be able to just back it and have the hitch lock in place and only have to get close. It is pretty close though for a 5th wheel. I sure have seen a lot of drivers fail. Frankly most people with travel trailers would probably be in the fail group.

Actually I find the really frustrating thing is the locking. I find that I get the hitch on the ball but get the lock thing jammed so it won't go down all the way. Would love it to be completely out of the way until it is actually in position to lock like a 5th wheel.

I bet someone could make some money with a really good solution for this.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote