Pretty Please no lectures, but.... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #41
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Not all Jeeps are created equal....the Jeep Wrangler can not be compared to a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V8 5.0Ltr engine and proper tow package.
Agree Uplander... The Grand C has always got good towing test reviews and by it's physics one would think it would be just mediocre.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #42

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Back in 1987 I towed a 26 ft. Sunline Travel Trailer, wife and two children from Connecticut through most of the western states and national parks during a 5 week grand vacation. My tow vehicle was a Jeep Cherokee with a 6cyl 4.0 ltr straight six/auto trans with factory tow package (well within factory tow limits)... Never missed a beat...no problem over the Rockies..covered over 16 states and over 8,000 miles....Jeep no longer offers that engine. It was a real war horse with tourque to spare!
Old 07-19-2015, 04:31 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
IMHO, the best way to stop motion between the draw bar and the hitch is Hitch Riders "Hitch Vise". I never leave home without it.

http://hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm
Put a weld bead across the top of the drawbar right at the point where it enters the hitch, then machine it at a slight taper to form a tight fit when inserted. It works great.

Heck a couple of rounds of electrical tape will tighten and quiet the draw bar for quite a while.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #44

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I've used. piece of my grandkids plastic sled as a. receiver hitch shim
Helps take up any slop and helps eliminate the clanging noise
Plus its a cheap easy fix.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:48 AM   #45

Name: Nikki
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Louisiana
ACTUALLY

For everyone else, a weight distribution and anti sway hitch are not even in question, I absolutely plan on both. Also, that's another reason I am looking hard at the Casita instead of Scamp even though I know it's a bit heavier... (besides origin - I am way closer to Texas than Minnesota) is that the 13' Patriot comes with electric brakes standard, so that is a definite as well. The tab is even lighter, but i'm not sure I can do with the space inside of it... I am a girl after all and need a few more things. LOL Thanks for the advice about the hitch height, I will definitely take that into consideration as well. To everyone but "he who shall not be named"... Thank you so much for your time and replies. They are very much appreciated. Please feel free to keep them coming. I was working in San Antonio area last year at the time of the Bandera Casita Rally and wanted so badly to make it to that to see at least a few eggs, but I had to work, alas!... For now I have to settle for the ones i see towed blowing by on I-10. But i do get so excited every time I see one and my family just laughs at me.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:55 AM   #46

Name: Nikki
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Louisiana
Thanks for the pix Ralphie! Your rig looks great. I believe our Jeeps are pretty much the same specs although maybe a few years apart. it doesn't look awkward at all. glad to hear you had good experience. Please feel free to shout if you learn anything you think would be helpful.

Nix.
Closed Thread