Problems with U-Haul hitch electrical wiring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 16 ft
In October 2005 I had a U-Haul hitch & wiring installed on my Isuzu Trooper. Up until this year I thought everything was ok. Recently when doing a hookup check with our Scamp I noticed that the running lights on the Scamp were not on. I went to the U-Haul dealer that originally installed the package and he decided that the electrical connector was not adequately grounded and made some modifications. After fiddling around for awhile he declared that the problem was in our Scamp and suggested that I go to an RV dealer for help. He never proved to me that the connector was receiving the proper signals and always had the testing light covered so that I couldn't see what was going on.

I went to a truck modifications dealer that was in the same building as the RV dealer. In short order they observed that the running lights on our Scamp worked properly. All they had to do was use one of their wiring extensions from the battery and activate the running lights. So now where was the problem in the Trooper? He took a look at where the towing connector was wired into the Trooper and quickly found a bad connection. In fact, he observed that U-Haul had used a very poor method of splicing the wires together that was prone to failure over time. The connections would tend to break or become intermittent. I asked him to simply redo all of those connections. Now everything works as it should after costing me $44.84. He had a few more stories about sloppy U-Haul workmanship.

I am sure that there are some U-Haul dealers that know what they are doing. But for me, I will never consider having anything wired again at a U-Haul facility. I went back to this dealer and spoke with this person. He simply wasn't willing to acknowledge the problem and walked away. He was the same person who did the original installation and I had a very uncomfortable feeling about his qualifications at that time and should have canceled the order.

So if you need a hitch with electrical wiring installed, take some time to investigate the quality of work at the various places under consideration. It could save you from problems later on.
Roger Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
He was the same person who did the original installation and I had a very uncomfortable feeling about his qualifications at that time and should have canceled the order.
I have finally learned to trust that feeling because every time I get it, I get bad info or workmanship...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul