ProPride on a Bigfoot 25RT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
ProPride on a Bigfoot 25RT

I installed a ProPride on my bigfoot in the spring. http://https://www.fiberglassrv.com/...t-91684-2.html I have finally driven it enough to give an opinion on the hitch.

I an glad I bought it and I think it is worth every penny. Tractor trailers no longer suck you over. They just become other vehicles that you share the road with. The rig was very stable and acted like one unit. Pulling the trailer across a raised shoulder has also become a non event. On one day I got into some pretty heavy wind and there was no sway. The wind was shaking the truck but no sway. This modification was definitely worth the time and money.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I agree with every word you said, ThomasC. Were it not for our ProPride, we would no longer own our Bigfoot Silver Cloud, after the terrifying sway-filled trip home to Chicago from Eugene, OR where we bought it. It was a few months of owning the camper before we got the ProPride, and whenever we used it, Kevin would have to white-knuckle grip the steering wheel each time we saw a semi or even worse, a bus, bearing down on us. Now, at most, with the ProPride, they may nudge us, but most of the time, we don't even notice.

As you said, worth every penny.

CindyL
Old 01-29-2021, 08:30 AM   #3

Massachusetts
Anti-Theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I agree with every word you said, ThomasC. Were it not for our ProPride, we would no longer own our Bigfoot Silver Cloud, after the terrifying sway-filled trip home to Chicago from Eugene, OR where we bought it. It was a few months of owning the camper before we got the ProPride, and whenever we used it, Kevin would have to white-knuckle grip the steering wheel each time we saw a semi or even worse, a bus, bearing down on us. Now, at most, with the ProPride, they may nudge us, but most of the time, we don't even notice.

As you said, worth every penny.

CindyL
I have to thank you because you made a comment that finally tipped me to buy the Pro-Pride. You made a comment on the anti theft qualities of the hitch because there is nothing for a regular receiver to hitch to.

I have seen people criticizing them for the cost but these people have never driven one. If every RVer could test drive one for 500 miles there would not be any other kind of hitch on the market.

Thank you
Old 01-29-2021, 08:41 AM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Good update, thanks!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:10 AM   #5

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Tow vehicles?
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:31 AM   #6

Registry
When we got the ProPride, we were towing our Bigfoot Silver Cloud with a Ford Expedition. A year ago, we upgraded to a RAM 2500 Tradesman. We used the ProPride with both vehicles. I will let Kevin explain what had to be done to make the ProPride work with both vehicles. I know it took modification and a new part, I think, when we got the pickup. The hitch sits much higher on the pickup.

It also took modification of our camper to fit the ProPride. The nose of our 1988 Bigfoot camper is much different than that of a newer 25 foot Bigfoot though, so I can't speak for modifications the ProPride might have needed to fit it.

Cindy

PS: I do have several images of Kevin's installation of the ProPride on our camper if needed. This posting includes one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Brake 6.jpg   New pickup with Bigfoot.jpg  

Old 01-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Thank you ; great information for those of us considering the purchase of a Bigfoot trailer . (25RQ)
Cindy , which engine did you get in your Ram 2500 ?
I really like the 2500 Cummins diesel but have read good things about the gas engine .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:20 AM   #8

Registry
Gas. We were limited in that we found the pickup that we wanted at CarMax, and it was gas, but we would have chosen gas anyway, so we would not need to worry about where to fill up. It is a Hemi engine. I like to watch car restoration shows, like Overhaulin, so it tickled me that we have a Hemi in the truck.

CindyL
Old 01-30-2021, 09:30 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Gas. We were limited in that we found the pickup that we wanted at CarMax, and it was gas, but we would have chosen gas anyway, so we would not need to worry about where to fill up. It is a Hemi engine. I like to watch car restoration shows, like Overhaulin, so it tickled me that we have a Hemi in the truck.

CindyL
Thank you . We have the 5.7 liter Hemi V8 in our 2019 Ram 1500 . It has been adequate / satisfactory for towing our Escape 21 but if we upgrade our trailer we need to upgrade our tow vehicle .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #10

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
Tow vehicles?
2019 Ford F-150 max haul max tow 2WD regular cab 8ft bed.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20201218_09_28_01_Rich.jpg  
Old 01-30-2021, 10:29 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Thank you . We have the 5.7 liter Hemi V8 in our 2019 Ram 1500 . It has been adequate / satisfactory for towing our Escape 21 but if we upgrade our trailer we need to upgrade our tow vehicle .
With the 2500 and the ProPride, we feel the Silver Cloud about like we felt the Uhaul VT with our Eurovan.

Cindy
Old 02-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #12

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Colorado
Bigfoot 25RQ with Front Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I installed a ProPride on my bigfoot in the spring. http://https://www.fiberglassrv.com/...t-91684-2.html I have finally driven it enough to give an opinion on the hitch.

I an glad I bought it and I think it is worth every penny. Tractor trailers no longer suck you over. They just become other vehicles that you share the road with. The rig was very stable and acted like one unit. Pulling the trailer across a raised shoulder has also become a non event. On one day I got into some pretty heavy wind and there was no sway. The wind was shaking the truck but no sway. This modification was definitely worth the time and money.

I Used an Equalizer 14K bar hitch: I have a similar puller to yours: 2019 F150 3.5 ecoboost with Max Tow package, 6.5 ft bed.
The equalizer hitch does not appear to be perfectly setup from the dealer : ill try adjusting it.
I just pulled it this weekend through 40 MPH winds with stronger gusts at 65 to 70 MPH down the interstate and it pulled straight: I did get a little buffeting due to these high winds but never felt out of control or pushed into another lane. It was very stable (but noisy clunking/squeaking when turning).

One point: My tongue weight was very heavy: and this is without any water loaded- just winterized and with a full propane load up front. Very little cargo in the trailer yet. I do have the Solar up: panels and batteries in front of the trailer. All of the solar is about 300 lbs. My tongue weight was 1240 lbs. My front axel was light about 100 lbs versus the truck weight without the trailer and thus the weight distribution needs to be adjusted.

The weights were done at a cat scale so they are correct.

i beleive the max tongue weight on the F150 is about 1310lbs so im hoping that full tanks dont send this larger.

Seems very heavy on the tongue. <g>
jackmerado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:47 AM   #13

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Pretty much same weights as my 25RQ. I use same Equalizer set-up behind Chevy 2500 diesel. Equalizer took tongue weight from 1240 down to 1080, transferred mostly to front of truck, some to trailer. Much heavier than factory spec. Tows with no buffeting or movement, very stable.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Steve, you asked about the engine size of our Ram 2500. It's a 6.4 liter gas hemi.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot