Question about RAV4 set up to tow ParkLiner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: Parkliner
Maryland
Question about RAV4 set up to tow ParkLiner

(Moderator's note: this thread was created from posts split out of the ParkLiner Tire Rub Issues thread.)

I was at Parkliner in August and ordered one. Since I live on a dirt road the tire rubbing is quite an issue for me, so I asked Cameron what they are doing. They are staying with the 13" tire and as of last week, are changing the mold. I hope this will take care of the issue.

I'm new to this site, plus I'm new to any site like this....so since I don't know how to start a new link I'll ask my question here. I have a 2012 Rav4 to pull it. The tow bar Toyota put on is way to low and it will need an extender to miss the bumper too, it looks like. Deryk, I see you have a 2012 Rav4, and maybe others know the answer - any suggestions for the tow bar? Thanks! Jane
jayteehike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #2

Maryland
PL and RAV4

Thanks for the welcomes and input! We had a pop up for 3 wonderful years of trips out west and Alaska. That was so much easier to pull - but I'm now ready to get out of my vehicle and into the camper without cranking it up!

So much to learn..... I'll check into the weight distribution hitch - maybe that one can raise the ball and bring it out from under the vehicle too. Currently I need to bring the ball up 7" and probably out from the bumper 2" - which I'm trying to find a way around. This is the lowest trailer hitch I've seen. I did order 2 propane tanks and the battery is on the tongue. I'll ask Cameron what the new weight will be.

Jane
Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Jane, the link I posted should have the wdh I bought for my Rav4... sorry at work on my droid phone. The wdh is adjustable... I was able to set it to be high enough for my ParkLiner to sit mostly level while towing.

My mom suggested a popup. I'm glad I got my ParkLiner... self contained...can stop and nap if I need to. I'm jonesing....haven't camped in Luke 3 weeks lil

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #4

Maryland
Hi Deryk, with the weight distribution hitch, did that take care of the swaying as well as the need for air bags? I'm learning so much on this site!

I did ask for 2 propane tanks, but I'm only going to have them put on one. I have an extra, we stashed it under a seat in our popup - as long as it is secure and can't be turned on it should be fine there until needed.

Cameron did say they will be putting the battery under the tongue, which surprised me they could do that. I'd like it over the tongue - so I'm going to see if he will do that. My neighbor gave me an earful on various batteries for campers this evening - I'll find out what they will be using.

I also want to carry a canoe - but from what you said about wind gusts, it doesn't look like I can put it on the Rav4. Will have to see what can be done on the Parkliner. Any suggestions about canoe carrying?

Jane
Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteehike View Post
I also want to carry a canoe - but from what you said about wind gusts, it doesn't look like I can put it on the Rav4. Will have to see what can be done on the Parkliner. Any suggestions about canoe carrying?

Jane
Nothing to do with ParkLiner ( good luck on that ), but I carry a canoe, or two pontoon boats on my RAV4.
I don't want them on the trailer because then I would have to move them from the trailer to the RAV4 to get them to the put in.
You want to load them and unload them once.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg  
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Hi Jane,

The wdh does do the job better then the airbags for my Rav4... I still use the anti sway bar because I'm carrying a full water tank and a cargo rack with a trunk with some lighter weight stuff back there....better to be safe then sorry.

Yeah I've got 2 calls into ParkLiner this week. I think Monday they get 1 last call before reporting them to BBB and the other agency I saw on page 25 ....I want a solution for the venting battery issue and hate throwing my hard earned money at something that is Chandler s job to fix.

I would put thecanoe on the roof of the Rav4 IMHO

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #7

Maryland
Glenn, nice to know so much can be carried on the RAV4 plus pull a camper without any issues!

Jane
Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
V6, weight distribution hitch, and the two pontoon boats weigh maybe 80 lbs. ( about the same as your canoe.
Maybe a moderator can split this thread.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote