Questions regarding wheel base length vs. vehicle length - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Questions regarding wheel base length vs. vehicle length

Well, I'm finally biting the bullet and looking for a new vehicle. I think I have found exactly what I want, and in comparing it to my current TV, I'm curious about some things and am sure I can find the answers here

Some of you may remember that I tow my Lil Bigfoot with my 2002 Volvo V70. But I currently own two vehicles and I really only need one (my husband passed away a year ago next Monday). I have been driving his Honda Fit around town because it is zippier and very good on gas, but I DO NOT FEEL SAFE. And now it has spoiled me a bit for a vehicle with more modern features.

So I've been searching for the newer Volvo that can also tow, but also be fun and have better MPG around town. I am looking at a 2017 XC60, and have been comparing its features to the V70, so finally I'm hitting the question which kept me up last night.

If the wheel BASE of the two vehicles are very similar (XC -109.2" vs. V70 108.8) but the overall length of the XC is just a bit shorter... (meaning the trailer is hitching closer to the rear axle I believe), would this a "gooder" thing or a "worser" thing... or make no difference at all?

From what I can see the new one has greater towing capacity, etc., but I am still researching details about its particular transmission and engine, turbo, torque, etc. If anyone would like to get deeper into that analysis with me I'd certainly appreciate the discussion!

TIA for any brainstorming with me. I am really only talking about a vehicle 4 inches shorter than the one I'm towing with now, but wondering about these things does tend to make me lose sleep!
Old 08-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Think of the rear axle as the fulcrum on a lever. The closer the weight is to the fulcrum, the less force applied to the other end. This means the force trying to raise the front wheels off the ground is reduced making it safer than if the weight was further from the rear axle.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #3

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Think of the rear axle as the fulcrum on a lever. The closer the weight is to the fulcrum, the less force applied to the other end. This means the force trying to raise the front wheels off the ground is reduced making it safer than if the weight was further from the rear axle.
oooh, this is an excellent thought! I like it. This is more likely to allow me to sleep without triangles and formulas flitting through my head.

Also, the SUV I want is also a front wheel drive, which was giving me some pause. But again, my own V70 is FWD and it has always been very good and stable. This new one also has a greater tongue weight and much higher trailer weight capacity than what I'm driving now and is .4 inches longer in the wheel base! So it sounds like I'm GOLD
Old 08-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree about the shorter overhang being a “gooder” thing. FWD is adequate for most situations you’ll likely encounter on the highway and in campgrounds. But...

Our Pilot is FWD and there have been a few times I wished for AWD. It always involved trying to climb a grade while towing on a loose or slippery surface, like a gravel road. I have had to disable the stability control system and allow some wheel spin to get through a couple of situations. Honestly, if I were buying a new (or newer) vehicle I’d seriously consider AWD.

Is the XC60 not available with AWD? Or perhaps you have found a really nice used one that is FWD... That’s what happened to us with the Pilot.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #5

CA
Yes, I have found a gorgeous used FWD with low miles at just the right price. All this time with the FWD V70, I've never traveled anywhere that was a problem, and am really not planning anything too challenging in the future. And frankly, if I'm only trailering once or twice a year, I don't think an AWD is necessary or practical for what I'd be doing the rest of the year! Then there is the additional expense of maintaining the extra drive train (or whatever it is)... yada yada :-)
Old 08-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Then it’s settled! Enjoy!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #7

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Then it’s settled! Enjoy!
I will! I haven't had an *almost* new car in quite some time!
Old 08-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
I hope you're using a WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCH that has been properly installed. That should virtually guaranty a safe, smooth towing experience.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I hope you're using a WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCH that has been properly installed. That should virtually guaranty a safe, smooth towing experience.
You do know that a L'il BigFoot is a 13?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #10

CA
No, I don't have a WDH! It's truly overkill on a trailer this small! And we did freeway towing, mountain towing, reasonably high speed towing, never, ever any issue.

Additionally, with the little round profile of these small ones, there seems to be no wind drag, and no buffeting when passing big trucks.

We're good, and the new vehicle has even more power and stability than the old one did. AND, apparently, it has software to monitor the trailer and the tow.