Rampage Wireless Backup Camera - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Rampage Wireless Backup Camera

Has anyone used one of these as a backup camera for a camper? One of the reviews mentioned that it could use a wider angle lens, others were happy using it for backing up boat trailers or connecting a trailer to a car. One said it didn't always work with his Samsung phone.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rampage-Wireless-Backup-Camera/1970683.uts?slotId=5

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have looked at those at etrailer, as I would like to see the hitch in my box, which I can't without getting out to look. They have been out for some time now. A lot cheaper at Cabelas.

https://www.etrailer.com/Backup-Came...ge/RA7710.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Some alternatives. No opinion. For some, you need a back window.

Trailer Hitch Assisting Products: Which Ones Really Work?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #4

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Some alternatives. No opinion. For some, you need a back window.

Trailer Hitch Assisting Products: Which Ones Really Work?

I think that's the best and less expensive :
Attached Thumbnails
Magnets.JPG  
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

North Carolina
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post. I need a camera that looks behind the camper, not behind the TV. I don't worry much about seeing behind me while towing, but sometimes backing into a campsite is challenging. (There was that water standpipe...)

My car (Honda Pilot) has a great backup camera so hitching up is easy.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't and wouldn't rely on a backup camera to back into a site.
I get out of the vehicle and do a walk around, noting obstructions and deciding where I want the trailer positioned. There is no shame in getting out frequently to check that you are on track and it helps to have a spotter that you can trust.
I've had two close calls in all my years of towing, and in both cases I almost crushed my right front fender on the tow vehicle while turning hard. Once it almost swung into a tree and the other time into a car that was alongside the tow vehicle.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:25 PM   #7

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
A rear view camera can be a very useful tool, just like a rear view mirror, except the one works while towing and the other doesn’t. Sorry, I have no experience or useful feedback regarding your specific camera of interest; just reaffirming your interest in a useful piece of safety equipment. I won’t tow without one. Well, I mean, I would if I didn’t have one. But I do. And I use it every time I tow ;-)
Old 11-16-2017, 11:43 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
A rear view camera can be a very useful tool....

.... a useful piece of safety equipment.
I agree with your first statement, there are places it can be a convenience, the whole reason I am looking at one. To call it safety equipment would imply that it is less safe without it, which is not the case.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post. I need a camera that looks behind the camper, not behind the TV. I don't worry much about seeing behind me while towing, but sometimes backing into a campsite is challenging. (There was that water standpipe...)

My car (Honda Pilot) has a great backup camera so hitching up is easy.
Suggest people read the OPs post again, and then comment. The camera's intended use is as an aid in backing into a campsite.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #10

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
In this case, to get what you want it would be a reversing camera, with sensors all around the trailer, installed by a technician who knows this system well.

I think I met a RV this summer with this kind of system.
I wanted to offer him to guide him back through the trees, he told me it was not necessary and he parked his vehicle perfectly, stopped near a tree with a big branch ...

I'm not sure if he had any sensors, but me my sensors are still my eyes attached to my brain that suggests me when I get up and go analize the situation ...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #11

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I agree with your first statement, there are places it can be a convenience, the whole reason I am looking at one. To call it safety equipment would imply that it is less safe without it, which is not the case.

I must respectfully disagree with you here, Jim. A rear facing camera provides visibility that is otherwise unavailable to a driver while towing. It is directly equivalent to a rear view mirror. Would you not agree that a rear view mirror is a piece of safety equipment? Perhaps related, I thought I read recently that all vehicles sold in the US in a couple of years will be required to be equipped with rear facing cameras, for similar reasons.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I must respectfully disagree with you here, Jim. A rear facing camera provides visibility that is otherwise unavailable to a driver while towing. It is directly equivalent to a rear view mirror. Would you not agree that a rear view mirror is a piece of safety equipment? Perhaps related, I thought I read recently that all vehicles sold in the US in a couple of years will be required to be equipped with rear facing cameras, for similar reasons.
I have two side mirrors that very adequately cover my view to the rear. In the many hundred thousand miles I have towed, not once has their been an issue because I never had a rear camera. I have driven many, many vehicles where there were no centre rear view mirrors, big rig truck/tractors, service bodies, trucks with toppers, crane trucks, and so on.

I fail to see how watching traffic behind you could increase safety. Side mirrors will give you all the information you need for those passing you, or you passing others, plus you can see the traffic behind the trailer too.

For convenience, these back up cameras are a fine thing for aiding in reversing, whether connecting to a hitch (which I like), or getting a wide angle view of where you are reversing into. For me, reversing into a campsite usually first sees me get out and look for anything that could be of issue, and then back in. If at all tricky, like watching out for a tree or a post behind, I take it easy or get someone to spot for me.

I do not at all believe that anyone who wants to make use of these cameras for what ever the reason should hesitate to do so. What I am not good with is the suggestion I am being unsafe because I do not use one, which is my main point in this.

Anyway, I have said my piece, so will fade into the sunset.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #13

Washington
You’re reading too deeply into my statements, Jim. I am not suggesting that not using rear facing cameras is unsafe. Truly. In my estimation, the sum of all of the standard tools at hand to mitigate things-to-the-rear are sufficient to safely do the job, when used correctly. I use them all too. My favorite is my wife using arm signals. But I also, personally, am glad to have the additional tool of the camera in my toolbox. It’s really just another tool, but one that does something none of the others can, eg show me the tree behind me *while I’m driving*, or the tailgater that’s way, way too close on my bumper. On the rare occasion that my primary backup safety tool (wife) is unavailable, the camera is extremely valuable, in conjunction with mirrors, and getting out as needed.

I have every confidence in both your and my own ability to tow safely without the camera. I am not advocating that everyone needs or should get one. I just like having one personally, and encourage others who think they would use one to explore that option.

Blind spots are bad. The fewer, the better.

Peace,
Scott
Old 11-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #14

North Carolina
I now travel alone, so often don't have another person to spot for me. I do, and plan to continue to make frequent visual checks when backing into a site. I would like, however, to have some assistance so that I don't need to get out of the car quite so many times. The camera might also work, if mounted with screws, as a rear-view camera for those times when I feel it would be helpful, but that's not my primary interest.

If you don't know the particular camera, do you have ideas about what specs I should look for? Thanks for your thoughts.

-- Anne
Old 11-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #15

Washington
I only have first hand experience with two systems, Anne. The first was a Yada brand system purchased from Costco. It had good signal strength and worked well...when it worked. Getting it to work proved to be finicky so I can not recommend this system, despite its attractive price point at under $100. The second system I’ve used is our current system, installed as a factory option by Escape Trailers. This unit is manufactured by Rear View Systems (RVS). It has performed flawlessly, and based on this experience I would recommend this manufacturer.

The chief complaint I’ve read about from other rear view camera users seems to be signal strength. Some have opted for boosters, or for hardwired installations to mitigate this. I think a decent transmitter like the RVS is a cleaner and simpler solution. I’ve also heard good things about Tadi Brothers systems. One benefit to our fiberglass eggs is they’re more transparent to radio waves than, say, metal-hulled trailers.

As to other features, I’d recommend a night vision mode, a fast refresh rate, and of course, decent picture quality.

If you can, ensure that whatever system you choose can easily be returned if it doesn’t work for you, then temporarily wire the camera to power behind the trailer, and receiver up front in tow vehicle, and try it out before you mount anything.