Rav 4 owners ('13 - '18) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2021, 09:09 AM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Rav 4 owners ('13 - '18)

I'd inspect the battery mount and hit the road. It' is still information that owners need to know.

DETROIT (AP) — The U.S. government is investigating complaints of engine compartment fires in nearly 1.9 million Toyota RAV4 small SUVs.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began investigating after getting 11 fire complaints involving the 2013 through 2018 model years.
The RAV4 is the top-selling vehicle in the U.S. that isn’t a pickup truck.
In documents posted Monday, the agency says fires start on the left side of the engine compartment. A terminal on the 12-volt battery may short to the frame, causing loss of electrical power, engine stalling or a fire.
Most of the fires happened while the vehicles are being driven, but four owners complained that fire broke out with the engine off.
The agency says improper battery installation or front-end collision repair was a factor. NHTSA says the RAV4 has a higher number of fire complaints in the battery area than comparable vehicles.
Investigators will try to understand better what is contributing to the fires. The vehicles aren’t being recalled but the investigation could lead to one.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:49 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hard to miss this one- it’s all over my news feeds. Anything amiss in Toyotaland is big news I guess, because it’s such a common vehicle, expectations are high, and the memory of the unintended acceleration issue lingers. Eleven non-crash fires among 1.9 million vehicles with no injuries isn’t exactly the sky falling.

My wife has a 2018, so we’ll wait to see what the investigation reveals. Battery hold-down looks fine to my untrained eye. Maybe better not to park it in the garage until they sort it out.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The first and only mention of this issue I’ve heard , read or seen was on this forum and to be fair I wouldn’t know what a Rav 4 is , if I hadn’t read about them on the FG forum.
Hope no one gets hurt
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:02 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think there is a sticker somewhere that says, "not for internal consumption".
From Toyota Nation forum:
Sounds like nothing new and exciting . Batteries have been shorting out on hoods and fender bracing ever since cars began to shrink.
I can see the real issue is replacement batteries that might be a smidge too tall or not being tightened in their holder properly. Make sure yours are fully tightened in place so they can’t drift around. Most cars have plastic shields over the terminals top on the POS side anyways.��.