RAV4 as tow vehicle back 2018 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My Casita 17 ft SD had a dry tongue weight of 385 lbs when it left the Casita factory. Putting a bunch of weight behind the trailer axle in an attempt to lower the tongue weight is just plain silly IMHO.
If you want to shift weight off the tongue then get a WDH.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #22

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger100 View Post
Thank you Dave,

I'll have to do some thinking on that one.

After awhile I didn't even use the Casita installed sway bar and never noticed a difference towing. The problem I had with the sway bar was the noises low speed and getting out to check for problems. After doing that a couple of times I decide to try towing with out it.

Thanks again!

Ranger

Ranger,

There should be NO difference noted towing with or without a sway bar. If you have any sway without the bar - you need to fix that first. It is supposed to groan - that means its working! Put it back on.

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #23

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
RAV4 as tow vehicle back 2018

Sway bars are a precaution, not a bare necessity in most cases. Making sure there is always 10% weight on tongue once loaded is essential. Setting up hitch for level operation is important. Properly inflated trailer tires of sufficient load category helps a great deal to prevent sway motion especially on bumpy curves at highway speed. A little touch on the manual switch of the electric brakes controller will instantly cancel any sway. If your trailer has tore-flex type of suspension instead of leaf springs, chances are even lower to ever need a sway bar. I only use mine under heavy side winds or very bumpy roads.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Do yourself a favor, and head to Walmart or Amazon for a 500 pound limit bathroom scale. If you put the scale under the front jack it will read a little low compared to actual tongue weight, but pretty close. I built an adapter that sits between the scale & ball socket at towing height, which is pretty exact.

Since one usually packed differently for each trip, doing an actual tongue weight reading while packing is simpler than going to a CAT scale.

By the way, some states (Washington & Oregon for examples) leave their scales on even when the weigh station is closed. An easy & free way to get your trailer & combined weight.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Put a chunk of 2x4 or 2X6 between the jack post and the scale to distribute the weight. I destroyed a bathroom scale years ago, before I got my Sherline scale.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #26

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Didn't the old Rav4 say NOT to use a WDH? (I could be remembering wrong.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It did not. It said WDH not recommended. And as I have posted many times, Toyota finally responded to my question about that statement and told me that they do not have a relationship with a WDH manufacturer so they don't recommend one ( any label ).
Mine was installed at the dealership by an outside installer, prior to taking delivery ( or it would have been no sale ).
Old 10-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #28

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Oh, okay. Not quite the same thing!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:34 AM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
pullin

My primary tug is the fantastic Ford Edge rated 2k lbs front wheel drive. I take it into the Mo. Ozarks does fine!

It has paddle shift I don't think I would do without it! I watch for the hills and start downshifting when I see the tac starting to act funny and can feel the transmission looking for gears.

I mainly use o/d until I spot a hill. it runs about 18mpg! I don't think I will buy another Edge though there are better pullers out there!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The weight of a WD hitch will also rest upon the ball and must be added in as part of the hitch weight. No help to the situation being discussed.

The easy solution is a 16'er. Almost the same as a 17' but considerably less tongue wt.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #31

Missouri
weight

Mike I don't know the tongue weight of my 13f no bathroom but on my 2002 cad I put helpers on the coil springs to leval it out. it pulls fine I just didn't like the sag.

the car is 25 years old poor people have poor ways you know so after putting the air up jobs on my car is now nice and leval.

I am thinking of putting them on the fantastic edge too!

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #32

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
I've owned both a 1996 RAV4 and a 2014. The 1996 died after 160.000 miles, but that was 20 years later and for a first-year model it wasn't bad.

The 2014 was a big mistake. We bought the 4WD XLE in 2013 and asked for a hitch. The sales guy told us they hadn't received those yet for the then-new generation RAV4, but they were coming. Stupid me didn't check the tow rating and after having a hitch installed by UHaul we found out it was only 1500 lbs. I did tow a UHaul trailer to move but it wasn't happy.

I loved the second generation RAV4 with the V6 and towing capacity, and off-road capability. I was looking for that in the 3rd generation and I was very disappointed. The small SUV had become a cross-over. It's not good at being and SUV, and it uses too much gas and is too expensive for a car.

I now drive a 2017 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4WD with factory towing package. That vehicle has a towing capacity of 6500 lbs, has almost the same gas mileage as the RAV4, and will get me anywhere. It's also only a few grand more than a RAV4, but so much better.
jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #33

Missouri
I pull my 13f scamper with a ford edge front wheel drive no problems! old wives tales!

bob
Old 10-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #34

Missouri
I look at the 4wheel drive as a over confidence building thing. Don't go where you think its needed and you wont need it. I will never buy it or use it I have it on my pick up truck don't even know how to turn it on!

saves me money

bob
Old 10-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #35

Missouri
jereon manufactures throw these restrictions out there to protect themselves. I have pulled a 32f 5th wheel and a 20f fiberglass boat together with a dodge 318 truck. did I drive fast? did I get there? yes!

I once pulled a huge lawnmower on a trailer with my vw rabbit diesel. did it struggle? yes! did I have to gear down? yes! Did I get it back home after 200m yes I did!

this is why vehicles have gears in them. use them!!

bob