RAV4 people: why is my hitch only 4 inches off the ground? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #81

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It would appear that you can get much closer to the 400# WDH that you need at etrailer.

300 lbs Weight Distribution | etrailer.com
Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The spec of 600 lb. tongue weight on the WDH is the spec for that part of that hitch. You still have a max. of 350 lb. for the RAV4, so 350 lb is your max. Follow what Jon said about the bars.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #83

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
thx tom-i see what you are saying. it costs 200. more...it seems important to get it as close as i can

glenn - i really appreciate all you and jon are doing for me
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #84

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Im probably ordering the 49901 for myself on monday....Takes care of anti sway and weight distribution.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #85

New Hampshire
jon-i got the link open and printed it out for the dealer.

this one :

Reese 350 Mini-Lite Weight Distribution System w Sway Control for Light-Duty, A-Frame Trailers Reese Weight Distribution RP66024

is 3500 GTW and 100-350 TW but it says for A frame trailers...so is it ok to use this or not-it does cost about 200. more than the original one

i dont have a price on the 49901 yet
Old 04-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #86

New Jersey
Registry
Pro Series Weight Distribution System w/ Friction Sway Control - Round - 10,000 lbs GTW, 550 lbs TW Pro Series Weight Distribution PS49901

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #87

New Hampshire
thx deryk-that is a good price...and even tho rav4 TW is supposed to be below 350 the 550 is ok?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #88

New Jersey
Registry
Well Glenn uses one rated for 600lbs and isn't haveing issues... I contacted e-trailer and got the following email back from them

The PS49901 is a good recommendation for your towing purposes. The maximum tongue weight for the system is 550 lb which is not too high if yours is 290lb. You actually want to be somewhere in the middle of the tongue weight range when choosing a weight distribution system so this would be fine for you.

Please email or call me at 1-800-298-8924 if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Nik M.
NikM@etrailer.com
1-800-298-8924
1-636-887-9391

Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #89

New Hampshire
deryk-thank you again. did you look at that A-frame one?

Reese 350 Mini-Lite Weight Distribution System w Sway Control for Light-Duty, A-Frame Trailers Reese Weight Distribution RP66024

its so much lighter but costs so much more
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #90

New Jersey
Registry
that one might work for me at 260-290lb tongue weight...yours dry is 365... I think the one I was looking at is a better choice for you...but its up to you

Old 04-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #91

New Hampshire
thx again...nite.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #92

New Jersey
Registry
Since this topic is about a similar vehicle as the one I started last weekend...http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...y-57523-5.html

I didn't get to make it to the CAT scale yesterday, but did do a few tongue weigh's of my ParkLiner. Because I want to carry my yamaha generator in the ParkLiner vs the back seat of my Rav4 I put it inside the doorway and sat there pretty nicely with very little room to move... might add some foam to its wedged in a little tighter.

With an empty water tank and 2 nearly full propane tanks (about 8 hours of use on it from saturday nite while I slept. I got 284.5lbs of tongue weight.

When I filled the water tank till overflowing, went inside and turned on the hot water in my galley sink till water came out, tried to add more water to the tank but almost immediatly was overflowing.(ok Im new to this, when filling the water tank does it automatically flow into and fill the hot water tank with cold water too?)

I re-weighed the tongue and got 260lbs.

Since the trailer at this point is basically ready to travel(going camping next weekend, so only thing missing is 2 changes of clothes, some half and half for my coffee and about a pound of food lol) So this looks like pretty close to what I would be hauling for a 2 or 3 day weekend. except still need the 5 gallon gas can and that might go on the tongue and can swap out a propane tank since after this month heat isn't really going to be needed by my standards.

Now because I had some sway issues in the heavy winds last weekend and want to add anti sway device for those times when it is kinda windy would rather be safe then sorry. And since its been discussed and doesn't need to be repeated about maintaining proper air pressure in tires of tv and caravan, and not hanging anything off the back of the trailer...

Im looking at 2 different WDH's

Pro Series Weight Distribution System w/ Friction Sway Control - Round - 10,000 lbs GTW, 550 lbs TW Pro Series Weight Distribution PS49901

Now this one does have a removeable anti sway bar, and is rated for twice my current tongue weight...Im not planning on pushing my max capacities because I dont want to destroy my Rav4's suspension... but the wdh weighs in at 102lbs

the other one Im leaning towards is Reese 350 Mini-Lite Weight Distribution System w Sway Control for Light-Duty, A-Frame Trailers Reese Weight Distribution RP66024

it has a sway control built into it, doesn't need to be dsconected if backing up, is rated for up to a 3500lb trailer (which is my max tow weight anyway) and weighs 37lbs.

So much of what I see for wdh's are for real heavy trailers but with the Rav4's soft rear end I am in agreement that its a good idea but I have seen some disussion about the possibility of doing damage to the trailer useing a too heavy rated wdh and it would be a much stiffer ride.

I can probably have welded on a bracket onto the reese unit for an additional anti sway bar if it came down to needing it...the lighter weight of the reese unit vs the pro is Im still below the 350lb tongue weight with it attached.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Old 04-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #93

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
With an empty water tank and 2 nearly full propane tanks (about 8 hours of use on it from saturday nite while I slept. I got 284.5lbs of tongue weight.

When I filled the water tank till overflowing, went inside and turned on the hot water in my galley sink till water came out, tried to add more water to the tank but almost immediatly was overflowing.(ok Im new to this, when filling the water tank does it automatically flow into and fill the hot water tank with cold water too?)

I re-weighed the tongue and got 260lbs.
On mine there is a by pass valve for the hot water tank that if closed the tank will not fill. To fill the hot water tank the by pass valve needs to be open and the water pump turned on for the hot water tank to automatically be filled when filling the fresh tank. There is also a pressure release valve on the hot water tank (outside) that sometimes needs to be used to release trapped air in the tank to allow it to fully fill.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #94

New Jersey
Registry
It is replaceable Replacement Friction Pad Kit for Reese Mini Weight Distribution Reese Accessories and Parts 58105

Old 04-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #95

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Carol, I haven't installed the bypass yet but didn't think to check the pressure valve. Could explain why I thought I went through 21 gallons of water awfully fast last weekend lol. Will check that one!

thanks

Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #96

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
In this pic you can see water coming out of the pressure release valve. I hooked up to city water and opened the valve. I let the water come out for a bit, ensuring that the hot water tank is full.
Attached Thumbnails
anode relief valve open.jpg  
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #97

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
I'd be reluctant to add 102# to the tongue weight. 37 seems more reasonable.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #98

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A good thing to know. With the distance from ball to rear axle about 40% of the distance from front axle to rear axle (wheelbase), load equal to about 40% of the 390 pound tongue weight will be transferred off of the front axle to the rear. That's about 156 pounds, plus or minus lots because I'm guessing at the distance to the ball; the value is as accurate as the tongue weight and the distance measurements (but wheelbase is already accurately known for the RAV-4).
I measured the distance from rear axle to ball: 46". Brian's guess was close.

These are calculated numbers taken from magazine reviews of the gen 3 RAV4. Empty V6 AWD has 57.4% of its weight on front axle.

Empty weight 3660 lbs, assume 500 for two passengers and cargo centered between axles, trailer tongue 390 46" behind rear axle

Weight on front axle from empty car 2101 + 250 load - 171 trailer = 2179, 86% of axle capacity. Note the front axle load is approx the same as the empty car with a driver and passenger.

Weight on rear axle from empty car 1559 + 250 load + 561 trailer = 2370, 97% of axle capacity.

All is good for you number lovers and my experience over 4000 miles this winter is good too. No problems whatsoever towing, no sway. I keep the tires at 40 psi.

Actual measured weights from a scale would be more accurate but these figures can't be far off. The tongue weight of 390 lbs is measured.

I personally don't see the need for a WD hitch. Most towing with a RAV4 don't have this much tongue wt.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #99

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Thanks Denny!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #100

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Deryk,
Although I am not generally a fan of the design of the Andersen hitch, it does seem to have some pretty loyal followers. Especially for the lighter weight trailers, like yours. By most accounts, it's built in sway control works very well.
It also has the advantage of being rather lightweight, so that could be considered a good thing on your combo. You might check in over on the AirForum site. There is an over 100 page thread on it, and you can read up on some of the discussion regarding it.
I have never even seen one, let alone used one, so I have no first hand comments regarding it.
Personally I am going to stick with my BlueOx. For what it's worth, the BlueOx weighs 68 pounds, plus 12 pounds for the spring bars.

george
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote