RAV4 people: why is my hitch only 4 inches off the ground? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #1

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
RAV4 people: why is my hitch only 4 inches off the ground?

how is this going to work? i am switching from a silverado 4x4 to a rav4

jon and deryk have been helping me with wiring stuff...but i didnt know this would happen. i'm hooked up and need to drive 5 miles on good roads to the shop to have the new brakes adjusted...but i'm a little afraid to travel this low to the ground

when i look at your pics with ravs the hitch goes straight across...mine makes a V.

whats going on? thx. kayak
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Maybe attach a pic so we can see what you are talking about.
Do you have a class 3 hitch receiver or the factory class 2 hitch receiver?
Are you using a WDH?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #3

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I switched from a Forrester to Rav4 this year also. My hitch sits really low because I had U-Haul install it instead of Toyota to save $500. I posted earlier about the stinger being much lower than the Scamp part of the hitch. So I'm gonna turn my stinger around, switch the ball to that side and see how it works. Still may have to buy a new stinger, but it's worth a shot. I think if the hitch was installed the way Toyota does, it would be behind the bumper, rather than below it, raising it a few inches. Mine scrapes on drive ways, but I try to take them at an angle to avoid it.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I bought a receiver that can drop it raise by flipping it over I think it 5 inches....helps a lot....post pics

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #5

New Hampshire
thanks alice. i am surprised that toyotas hitch would sit differently. i just talked to their service and they didnt mention that. i also have uhaul hitch i know it will pull 3500 and i think is a III. hitching and towing is not the fun part for me.. i just want to be there.

so-the rv guy and toyota service are saying maybe i can "turn the ball around" to get it higher...or get an adjustable ball

the rv guy is coming here tomorrow to do what he can.

glenn...i wish i could attach a pic. i figured out how to email pics...but wouldnt know how to attach it here

so-in general this traveling low is common with smaller cars?(im used to a truck) but it must be doable cuz many of you pull with ravs, right? i do like the car...
Old 04-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #6

New Hampshire
oh-deryk-we were posting at the same time. that sounds like what the rv guy was saying.

and i have the anti-sway bar from casita...and plan to use it. someone else on here said they always use it...the one time you dont a moose may run out in front of you and you would wish you had it.

i saw your other thread about the wind-my rav has been blowing around all week without the camper...so i am sure i will need all the help i can get.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #7

New Hampshire
alice-are you happier with the rav than the forrester?

what is WDH?

the weather is so nice this week---i am really antsy to get down to the beach with my little house on wheels.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #8

New Jersey
Registry
Weight distribution hitch...I might buy the one I put the link in for on about towing

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Here is a good link. Kind of goes through it all Kayak
etrailer.com videos - YouTube
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #10

Name: Tonja
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 1300
North Dakota
I also have a Rav4 and mine does seem lower than I would prefer and I too have to be careful with driveways.

Never thought about turning it over and readjusting (thanks Deryk) - but I pulled the camper 300 miles home and did fine with it so may leave well enough alone (if it ain't broke...)...

Tonja
ndquiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #11

New Jersey
Registry
Tonja I would recommend the Firestone air bags for your rear spring's... otherwise the squatting can cause some problems... at the least your nose is pointing up. And the tongue jack could bottom out.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndquiltlady View Post

Never thought about turning it over and readjusting (thanks Deryk) - but I pulled the camper 300 miles home and did fine with it so may leave well enough alone (if it ain't broke...)...

Tonja
You should be able to park your camper and car on level ground and with the camper leveled the ball should be lined up with the trailer. Any car store or even Walmart has coupler hitches that come in different "drop" lengths for example 2,4,6 8, or 9 inches that can be flipped over to get the ball Up higher so that your trailer is as level as possible for towing. Im sure others will chime in but thats the way I have always done it. Thats for basic trailering weights and then as others have indicated on other threads you get into WDH mechanisms for load equalization. IMO
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #13

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
We've got a Rav4 with a Toyota-installed hitch. When we first got our Scamp we used the ball mount that came with it... and there was a BIG dip. So big we took out the electric tongue lifter going over a speed bump! When we got the lift replaced at a Camping World they recommended a place Down The Road that sold us a ball mount with a BIG dogleg in it. We flipped it so that the ball was up around 4 or 5 inches and all was well. The Scamp now rides darn near perfectly level.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #14

I have no air bags.
When I'm not towing, the RAV rides as designed.
When I am towing, the weight distribution hitch, shifts weight to restore level.

baglo
Old 04-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #15

New Hampshire
i just want to thank everyone for such quick helpful replys

it helps to know the toyota -installed hitch had the same problem!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #16

Another problem with the Toyota factory hitch, aside from costing about $350 more than it should, is that it is only a class 2 hitch receiver, so you cannot use a weight distribution hitch with it.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #17

New Hampshire
yes-my uhaul is a 3 and i'm so glad i was told it was better to go to uhaul than the dealer
Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #18

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Quote:
alice-are you happier with the rav than the forrester?
I really liked the Forester. It towed very well, was good on gas, and very reliable. The only reason I traded was 2012 was the last year Rav had towing capacity of 3500#. I'm looking for a used 15' Escape and wanted to be able to jump on it if it comes up.
Right now I'm having trouble with the Rav's braking system. The ABS, brake, idiot lights intermitantly come on, and the cruise control won't work then either. The Toyota disconnected the wiring for the trailer, and everything has been fine. I doubt if Toyota will take care of the problem because U-Haul did the work. Odd part is, that U Haul installs all of Toyotas hitches here.

I haven't towed the Scamp yet, so I don't know if it will need a WDH or not.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #19

New Jersey
Registry
Alice is yours a front bathroom? If not airbags would be fine but if you are planning on going larger I would just buy the wdh and be all boy scout prepared!

Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #20

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Dragging hitches is why I had mine custom made. Most available after market hitches hang under the rear facia and avoid cutting. A lot of factory hitches have an access door or cut a specific part of the facia.

With no factory option I built mine to come out of the facia in approximately the same area as the factory option does on models with a tow option. In my case that means a standard ball mount flipped over results in 18" ball height from the ground.

To me a large step up or down ball mount is just a lot of leverage. That usually means bent ball mount or undue strain on a hitch.

Or you could try a 2" version of one of these http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45562.html

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote