RAV4 problems, need new TV - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I can tie a trucker's hitch too, but for the life of me, I've never been able to explain how.
Guess we're rather off topic.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #62

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 LD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I can tie a trucker's hitch too, but for the life of me, I've never been able to explain how.
Guess we're rather off topic.
Apologies for the HiJack (at least they are fiberglass). I'll end with this.

It is only three but you add one more on each side on the second level with longer 2X4s

PC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #63

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
I can tie one too!

And while the idea of a pickup truck is nice, aren't there issues with the security of things left in the back, even with a cap on the bed? Hard to lock them or easy to steal the cap or something along those lines? And I am not sure I could get a pickup with the comfort features I want (heated leather seats, in particular - - this is a must have for me) in a reasonable price range.

I spent LOTS of time on the phone today. Brought my car in this morning. Dealer did a diagnostic, tech called me and said "nothing wrong." Asked for manager. Manager didn't call back soon enough. Called again. Service manager said tech did the wrong process - - just a basic diagnostic, not their very official process for dealing with reported unintended acceleration. Now I have to wait for them to do that, in conjunction with Toyota corporate, tomorrow. Meantime I had called Toyota corporate and started a case with them. Case manager will call me tomorrow. Told dealership I want a meeting with general manager when the results are in early tomorrow afternoon. They are giving me a loaner car tomorrow. But they say I can't keep it for the weekend, and I am supposed to go away for the weekend tomorrow afternoon. Not happy, will work on that issue tomorrow.

My boyfriend came up with an idea. If they deny there is anything wrong, dare them to all stand in front of the vehicle while someone sits in it with their foot on the brake, idling. Kinda like Erin Brokovich daring those people to drink the dirty water.

So, still in limbo, but based on the impression I was left with after these discussions, I am not hopeful they will find a solution. Still getting ready to pick out a new car.

Research has revealed the following major problems recently or currently being investigated, some of which were lied about/covered up for years:

Exploding, shrapnel filled airbags killing people after minor accidents (Honda, probably others)
Steering column failures (Honda, Ford)
Ignition switches catching fire (GMC)
Faulty brakes (Nissan Altima)

So, pick your poison, as others have pointed out. It's really exhausting, looking into all of this. Fool me once and all of that, I just can't go with Toyota again. For cargo space I like the Honda best, but not thrilled with what they have done to cover things up either. No better off than I was yesterday re: making a choice.

I do know that I want something with at least #3500 towing capacity. Our trailer is light, but we load up the car heavy, too. And I like having a comfort zone.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am reading every post and taking it under consideration.
VicCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #64

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Truck topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicCT View Post
I can tie one too!

And while the idea of a pickup truck is nice, aren't there issues with the security of things left in the back, even with a cap on the bed? Hard to lock them or easy to steal the cap or something along those lines? And I am not sure I could get a pickup with the comfort features I want (heated leather seats, in particular - - this is a must have for me) in a reasonable price range.
I have a fiberglass topper on my truck (painted to match the vehicle)and have had no problems with theft plus the topper gives you a lot of dry storage .Breaking into a topper is no more difficult than your vehicle ,all it takes is a crowbar to break a window. Pickups come with the same options as a car . My truck has tilt .cruise.,power seats ,A/C, heated seats ,heated steering wheel ,power locks ,power windows,remote start ,Bluetooth Etc Etc . My truck is not even the upgraded model which has every feature imaginable including heated /cooled leather bucket seats. Reasonable price is in the mind of the purchaser so your on your own
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #65

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Trucker's hitch, huh? So that's what they call the knot my dad showed me all those years ago. I use it a lot.

Vicki, are you strictly looking for a used vehicle? Or maybe a new one? If the former, you may have to be willing to settle for what you can find at a reasonable price, within a limited time frame. If shopping new, you have more flexibility in picking out what you want.

The latest version of Jeep Grand Cherokee (2010 and later) is pretty plush. Leather seats on the limited, overland, and summit trim levels. Some have perforated leather so air can blow through to cool your seat during summer. Keyless ignition, rear backup camera, lots of goodies. The V6 can tow 6200 lbs.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #66

Florida
I just bought a used 17 ft Casita and will pull it with a 94 f250 cause that is what I have and I have awhile before I retire and expand my range. Probably will replace toolbox with topper. Unfortunately, anything left unattended in the woods is at risk.

Minivans are great for canoeing (and most other tasks, comfort, seating capacity, storage, long wheelbase, short overhang, long roofline for canoes) but probably not beefy enough for my 17. I'm also concerned about ground clearance as they continue to lower them for aerodynamics.

I'm also interested in the new ford and ram vans.

I enjoy these discussions as it is cheaper than making all the mistakes myself.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:13 PM   #67

Connecticut
Mike, I may be even more limited by what is available at the dealership I am dealing with, if I want to act fast. They have a pretty good selection though. Leaning towards a Nissan Murano right now. I like the Cherokees but they don't seem to have any in stock.

I know wanting leather/heated seats makes me sound like a spoiled wimp, but the leather is for practical reasons (we are very tough on upholstery, being boaters) and the heated seats are for my bad back. And yes, those cold winter New England mornings. :-) I had them for the first time with this Rav, and now I don't know how I suffered without them.

Steve, I am intrigued by the idea of a pickup, but that my be my next car. Not really ready to make that leap yet, for some reason.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #68

Mike Magee,
Trucker's hitch isn't really a knot. It's more like a pulley system. I'd explain, but I can't.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #69

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Vicki, If you haven't already, it would be interesting to ask your dealer what they would give you for your current car as a trade-in. If they really low-ball you, then it seems they are admitting that it has a problem and will be hard to unload on anyone else. If I'm not mistaken, that's part of the deal behind the Prius class action suit - compensation for loss of trade-in value. Does that make sense? For what it's worth, we purchased our 2006 Prius new and have put just over 135,000 miles on it with no acceleration problems - so far....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:49 PM   #70

Connecticut
War Eagle, we think alike. :-)
Old 01-30-2015, 01:04 AM   #71

Name: Walter
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I understand the leather heated seat issue. Two things from our last car that we felt were most haves heated seats (although we're went cloth this time and love them) and automatic climate control. Set and forget.

Funny thing our last car had automatic wipers. We really miss those. Always the right speed.

Sent remotely
EcoHeliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:06 AM   #72

British Columbia
VicCT this was a first hit on the ole google caldron.

http://www.rvmagonline.com/features/...s/viewall.html

Sent remotely
Old 01-30-2015, 01:19 AM   #73

Do you have any idea what "flat towable" means? Anybody?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:00 AM   #74

British Columbia
RAV4 problems, need new TV

Flat towing is towing your car with all wheels on the ground like behind an RV. Not related to the OP's questions.

That article mentions the Nissan Pathfinder. vicCT have you considered? Even the Xterra can pull 5000lbs

Sent remotely
Old 01-30-2015, 02:54 AM   #75

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicCT View Post
I can tie one too!

As far as your concern to truck secuity, there are bad folks everywhere. You just have to do the best you can to have them move on to someone else. Same as storing your trailer in an RV lot. I've had pickups with and without shells for 40+ years and have never had anything taken. That's even living in the San Diego area and many trips to big box stores, maybe I was just lucky. Some things I did lock in the cab if I could but I never locked the shells because if someone wanted it bad enough I wouldn't have to repair the door too.
As far as comfort features.....P/Us quite a few years ago became the choice of folks for a second vehicle and the makers have made them with all the same features you can get with top of the line cars and prices pretty much the same, dang
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:17 AM   #76

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Do you have any idea what "flat towable" means? Anybody?

A bit off the your question Glenn but something that suprised me and I thought I would pass on for info. I had a Suzuki Samauri that I would flat tow once in a while. The manual tells you to tow it in 2nd gear with stops every 200 miles, disconnect and drive it a bit before towing again. Never towed it that far at one time but I sure was questioning that info the first time and was expecting to hear bad noises a tranny repair. It did work out fine.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #77
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Steve View Post

Minivans are great for canoeing (and most other tasks, comfort, seating capacity, storage, long wheelbase, short overhang, long roofline for canoes) but probably not beefy enough for my 17. I'm also concerned about ground clearance as they continue to lower them for aerodynamics.
"not beefy enough for your 17", you are joking right

A few months ago I walked away from a nice 2006 BMW X5 because we thought our 90 and 97 year old mother's would have trouble climbing up into the vehicles.

We bought a 2004 Toyota mini van instead but since found out the height of the Sienna is just as high as the big SUV. We carry a step when we transport the ladies so they can easily get up and into the van.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #78

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes PC Steve with a Casita 17 you would be over most mini van's recommended towing capacity (3500 lbs) and over the recommended tongue weight as they are tongue heavy.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #79

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Floyd, Comments like yours indicate either vastly superior knowledge of the automotive industry or a clear indication you have never read Consumer Reports.....Consumer Reports tests every vehicle to exacting standards...they also gather data about older vehicles to establish their long term durability and reliability. If you have a problem with that you may be beyond all hope.

Based on my own real life experience and vehicle ownership history I can agree with their observations. I am no automotive authority but having been burned by models from Dodge, Jeep, GM and Ford....all models found to be sub-standard in Consumer Reports. Once I discovered Consumer Reports and avoided the vehicles they rated as "Not Reccomended" my vehicle ownership experience has been less stressful. I am a 68 year old adult and never too old to learn something new everyday.

Happy Camping
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #80

Florida
"Beefy" indeed referred to tow ratings versus my 17 Casita, although it works for some.

Seat height is an important consideration as we become more infirmed. Right now a minivan would be my "Goldilocks" vehicle in terms of ingress and egress. I have to climb into my truck and out of my car. Most minivans are "just right" ( for me).