Recommendation for a trailer to tow- 2019 Sabaru - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oklahoma
Posts: 17
Thanks for the Ponderosa recommendation. We'll be in CO thiz year and will check them out and discuss it's viability for towing with an Outback.
__________________

DKPendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oklahoma
Posts: 17
CasitaMinor. I have the same question as Walt P.
Thanks in advance for providing more feedback.
__________________

DKPendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
bsedwebt's Avatar
 
Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Posts: 362
SCAMP 13 STANDARD Front bath large bed edition is WITHOUT A DOUBT by FAR the BEST choice for your vehicle and situation. This is a highly coveted trailer and hard to come by used in good shape. You might as well order a new one the way you want now and enjoy it with your new Subie. The nice thing is if you take care of the trailer it will not depreciate very much - much like the Subie. Excellent choice in cars by the way - value, price, resale, looks, handling, gas mileage, comfort, poor weather and off road useable... I could go on and on - I had a Crosstrek for 57K miles and 4 years and only lost about $5k when I sold it. I loved every minute of that car and would buy another in a heartbeat!
__________________
"Cozy-Casa" -- Visualize whirled peas
bsedwebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
Komrade's Avatar
 
Name: Andrey
Trailer: Casita
West Virginia
Posts: 25
Registry
Depends where u take it. We have a 17 Casita and V6 Tacoma with 6500lb tow rating. Towing on interstates for 600miles was like pulling nothing. Recently went to a local forest for boondocking and had to put the truck into low gear as it wouldn't move up hill in 1st gear (have stick). I wouldn't pull anything bigger than 13 with Subaru, and even that will feel like a bad decision on some steeper grades.
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oklahoma
Posts: 17
Giles, thanks
DKPendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oklahoma
Posts: 17
Bsedwbedt thanks!
DKPendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:48 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Bernese Bunch's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKPendleton View Post
We have a 2019 Subaru Outback with a 2" towing hitch. A 2019 Subaru Outback has a standard towing capacity of 2,700 lbs. We are two seniors who are minimalists campers; car camping in the back of the Subaru for up to two weeks. We are considering upgrading to a small camper to have the convenience of a toilet/shower. What type of trailer would be recommended for our vehicle and minimal camping style? Thanks.
Take a look at the Happier Camper, HC1. Many are towing with the Outback.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #28
Junior Member
 
Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oklahoma
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
Take a look at the Happier Camper, HC1. Many are towing with the Outback.
Bernese Bunch, thanks. I've been looking at them.the base price is reasonable but the components significantly increase the price. Being mindful of weight, we're discussing the feasiblility to build our own components.
DKPendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 8,523
Registry
Nice trailer, I agree. But it doesn’t have a wet bath option.

Casita used to make a 13’ with wet bath, the Patriot Deluxe. It’s somewhat heavier than the Scamp, especially on tongue weight due to the front-mounted A/C and dual LP tanks. It also lacks the large bed option and has less than 6’ of interior headroom, so not for large and/or tall people. Pretty rare used.

I keep coming bank to Scamp. If buying new, though, I’d be concerned about a rash of problems just surfacing with the new door hinges they started using last year. I posted a thread in the problem-solving section with a link to the reports. Until that’s resolved I’d be buying used (with the old hinges).

Scamp is still a great trailer. We love ours, and I see this as a hiccup in the evolutionary process. Hope they figure this out quickly.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #30
Junior Member
 
Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oklahoma
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Travel and cargo trailers typically specify 10-15% tongue weight, but boat trailers often carry much less. Subaru's ratings do represent a mismatch for owners desiring to pull travel trailers, but they are real limits set by the manufacturer.

The Subaru manual also has a caveat that the tow rating of 2700# is reduced by 50% when towing under certain severe conditions (long grades in high temperatures).

All of that adds up in my mind to a conservative approach to towing with this vehicle.
Giles and Jon in AZ. Good discussion between y'all for our consideration with the Outback. We've got a lot to consider. Really appreciate the thoughtful, intelligent feedback everyone is providing.
DKPendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 2,606
Registry
A factor to me, being retired, was what would get me out camping this season. I had no interest in giving up a season waiting for the perfect camper. Functionally a 13 with no bath is going to be a lot roomier, kind of like my Trillium 1300. Note finding a good Trillium 1300 is even harder!
__________________
Check my Trillium Project Page: https://www.facebook.com/Bills-1977-...dmin_todo_tour
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 3,817
My 1999 16 ft Scamp with front bath weighed close to 2600 to 2700 when loaded for travel and the tongue weight was around 260 lbs
A 13 ft Scamp may work with the Subaru’s rather low tongue weight limit
My daughter has gone through 2 CVT transmissions towing a light weight pop up camper . I would be leary of towing anything over 1500 lbs with a CVT transmission .

Carol , a member of this forum towed with an Outback but eventually decided to upgrade her tow vehicle to something more substantial .
I believe she traveled solo which makes it a lot easier to get the weight down
If your are talking about towing with a family with kids I am not sure getting the weight to match your vehicles limits is possible .
A tow vehicle rated for 3500 lbs would make more sense IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #33
Junior Member
 
Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oklahoma
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My 1999 16 ft Scamp with front bath weighed close to 2600 to 2700 when loaded for travel and the tongue weight was around 260 lbs
A 13 ft Scamp may work with the Subaru’s rather low tongue weight limit
My daughter has gone through 2 CVT transmissions towing a light weight pop up camper . I would be leary of towing anything over 1500 lbs with a CVT transmission .

Carol , a member of this forum towed with an Outback but eventually decided to upgrade her tow vehicle to something more substantial .
I believe she traveled solo which makes it a lot easier to get the weight down
If your are talking about towing with a family with kids I am not sure getting the weight to match your vehicles limits is possible .
A tow vehicle rated for 3500 lbs would make more sense IMHO
We're 2 seniors who are seasoned car campers (years in a Honda Pilot, and two trips to the smokey mountains in the new Outback.) Total gear weight (bedding, clothing, kitchen, food etc) is ~185 lbs. We have no plans to change gear load even if we invest in a trailer. Based on the excellent feedback given in this thread, my concerns are the Outback's ability to tow a trailer in steep grades and the resulting stress it will put on the transmission.
DKPendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 2,606
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKPendleton View Post
We're 2 seniors who are seasoned car campers (years in a Honda Pilot, and two trips to the smokey mountains in the new Outback.) Total gear weight (bedding, clothing, kitchen, food etc) is ~185 lbs. We have no plans to change gear load even if we invest in a trailer. Based on the excellent feedback given in this thread, my concerns are the Outback's ability to tow a trailer in steep grades and the resulting stress it will put on the transmission.
Here is where your gear weight is going to increase. First, you are going to carry trailer specific items you have not carried in the past: think wheel chocks, water hose, black water drain hose, wheel leveling blocks, surge protector, electric cord, electric adapters, small level, some trailer tools. Then you are going to most likely carry some water in your water tank, so you can use the toilet and sink while you are traveling. Depending on your trailer, you will also need four stabilizing jacks. In short, there is a myriad of odds and ends that people with a trailer will have that tenters don't need. We also carry a variety of small appliances like a coffee maker, fan and box heater, and a table.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Posts: 2,709
there is an older 13' Casita model that has a front wet bath. Pretty decent bathroom I recently got a tour inside of that model.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #36
Junior Member
 
Name: Zorzal
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 1
Recommendation for a trailer to tow- 2019 Sabaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKPendleton View Post
We have a 2019 Subaru Outback with a 2" towing hitch. A 2019 Subaru Outback has a standard towing capacity of 2,700 lbs. We are two seniors who are minimalists campers; car camping in the back of the Subaru for up to two weeks. We are considering upgrading to a small camper to have the convenience of a toilet/shower. What type of trailer would be recommended for our vehicle and minimal camping style? Thanks.
DK, we own an Outback 2018, and after reading the abundant precautionary statements around the manual, and talking to the dealer, then decided NOT to tow with it. Examples from the manual: page 8-23, says that when towing a trailer without brakes it should be under 1,000 pounds, 2,700 with brakes, and 1,500 on uphill grades. Page 8-22 says "Your vehicle is designed and intended to be used primarily as a passenger-carrying vehicle". Page 8-25 puts the tongue weight below 200 pounds, which is really low. The person at the dealership also talked about the continuous transmission box as another source of concern. Finally, I sat on the rear bumper of the Outback (250 pounds), about where the hitch weight would apply, and the car definitely changed its balance.

I am sure you can make it work. And I am certain there are people in the forum who have done it. But when you think about your safety and about your car's fit to purpose, think also about the dynamic shift of loads in movement, the additional weight you will carry in the trailer, the baggage you carry with you, etc.

Good luck!
Zorzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #37
Junior Member
 
Name: Renee
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Posts: 7
We have a 2019Subaru Outback that we just purchased to pull our 13’ Scamp with bathroom. We preferred the Scamp to a teardrop or any other camper with an outside cooking area, because sometimes it rains, and it’s not nice to stand in the rain trying to cook something. We love the inside toilet and shower. Makes life so much easier, especially in the middle of the night.
Renee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
The Minimalist's Avatar
 
Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Posts: 737
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
note thats a very minimalist trailer.... 'pressurized' water, meaning, no water pump, you put up to 6 gallons of water in the tank, then pump it up with airpressure from a bicycle pump. there's no holding tank, so you need an external grey water holding tank... there's no shower or toilet. propane, stove, fridge are optional. its basically a bedroom. you can use a portable toilet, where you replace the waste bag every day or two.

My Little Joe has a demand pump running off of the battery. My 2.6 gallon porta potty fits neatly in it's closet under the right seat, ie: not bags. Grey water runs into a 3 gallon bucket which we dump daily. We have propane, which we use for cooking and running the fridge. Both use so little that I replaced the 20lb tank with an 11lb. The battery is kept charged by solar on the roof.



Your description as a bedroom is apt. We tell folks that its an enclosed queen sized bed with a stove, fridge, sink, toilet and AC.


Tows perfectly behind the Subaru Outback.
__________________
Clif
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Name: Jacob
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16
Montana
Posts: 10
Thought I'd chime in as we own a 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R and a 2015 Scamp 13 with front bath. It is a nice combination. Actually, we owned the Scamp first and bought the Subaru to pull it. Our camper has every option except air conditioning and the real world weights (when ours is loaded to go) are 1900 lbs. and 210 lbs. tongue weight (smaller battery, single propane tank). Keep in mind that this is with the black tank (marine toilet) empty. I'm sure that the tongue weight creeps up as you use the bathroom.

It is said that for comfort you should tow about 2/3 of your capacity. This combination comes pretty close to that. There are companies that sell stronger rear springs to help with "saggy bottom" but we haven't tried that. We bought the 3.6 engine for towing the Scamp and it is comfortable. I would think the 4 cylinder would be pretty anemic with the camper attached.

Trailer brakes are a necessity. Our Subaru dealer would not install a 7-pin plug for trailer brakes...so I had to do it myself.

As for Scamp, I strongly recommend that you buy a used one when you can find one. We had a horrible customer service experience with our brand new Scamp that went on for months over what was in the end, a $100.00 problem (that we wound up paying to fix). I think that a one or two year old Scamp will probably have had it's problems fixed. Also likely that you won't have to wait four months for delivery like we did. Might take you four months to find a used one though.
jacobconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #40
Junior Member
 
Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oklahoma
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorzal View Post
DK, we own an Outback 2018, and after reading the abundant precautionary statements around the manual, and talking to the dealer, then decided NOT to tow with it. Examples from the manual: page 8-23, says that when towing a trailer without brakes it should be under 1,000 pounds, 2,700 with brakes, and 1,500 on uphill grades. Page 8-22 says "Your vehicle is designed and intended to be used primarily as a passenger-carrying vehicle". Page 8-25 puts the tongue weight below 200 pounds, which is really low. The person at the dealership also talked about the continuous transmission box as another source of concern. Finally, I sat on the rear bumper of the Outback (250 pounds), about where the hitch weight would apply, and the car definitely changed its balance.

I am sure you can make it work. And I am certain there are people in the forum who have done it. But when you think about your safety and about your car's fit to purpose, think also about the dynamic shift of loads in movement, the additional weight you will carry in the trailer, the baggage you carry with you, etc.

Good luck!
Jacob Conroy, as a Subaru owner, thank you for the extremely valuable feedback.
__________________

DKPendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eco


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SD | 2019, Aug 25-Sep 1: Inyan 2019 – A South Dakota Rally Hidalga Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 20 09-16-2019 07:27 PM
ON | 2019, May 24-25: 2019 EggFestOntario Vivian L Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 21 07-23-2019 05:35 AM
WA | 2019, May 31-June 2: Taidnapam Washington Gathering (WAG) 2019 Possum Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 50 06-20-2019 11:39 PM
WA | 2019, May 17-19: Maryhill in May 2019 paulw Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 31 05-21-2019 10:48 AM
AZ | 2019, Feb 4-10: Quartzsite Gathering 2019 Greg A Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 137 05-15-2019 06:26 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×