Recommended Burro 17' tire size and tongue weight? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2021, 12:29 AM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Looking for one.
California
Recommended Burro 17' tire size and tongue weight?

I'm purchasing an 1987 17' Burro. It has what looks to be the original torsion axle and 13' rims. So, it isn't riding high like some of the upgraded Burros that I've seen. Upgraded ones that I've seen have 3K lb and up Dexter axles with 14' rims and electric brakes. What is the best size to get to replace aged out tires? I know Radials are the most solid. Are STs the the only recommended tires for small trailers 1800-2K lbs? I saw on an earlier post 165 & 175/80/D13s? Bearings will need to be checked, replaced, and or just greased. I'll be towing it about 2K miles. Should I add a little weight in the forward area of the cabin, fresh water & waste water, or just make sure there's how much weight on the tow hitch/tongue? Thanks.
Wingnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations on the purchase!

The choices for trailer tires are ST or LT, never P (passenger) radials. Since they don’t make LT tires in a 13” size, that leaves ST as a direct replacement. For a larger trailer like a 17’ Burro, look for a minimum D load rating. Carlisle and Maxxis are well-regarded brands. Goodyear Endurance is one of the best, but they don’t make a 13” size.

If you have clearance, you could go to 14” or 15” wheels and tires, but if not, you’ll need to wait until you’re ready to do an axle swap. The larger sizes open up a lot more tire choices, including LT tires and heavier load ratings if desired. However, now that they make D-rated tires in a 13” size, it’s something you can defer if you want.

Tongue weight should be 10-15% of total trailer weight. 12% is a good target. Only way to know for sure is to weigh it on a certified auto and truck (CAT) scale. Until then, if you have two full LP tanks on the tongue and an otherwise empty trailer, you’re probably okay until you can get it to a scale. Most trailers are designed to be properly balanced when empty. Sway is affected by speed, so approach highway speeds cautiously on your first tow with a new-to-you trailer.

If you’re not sure, if your tongue is empty, or if it starts getting squirrelly at higher speeds (tendency to low amplitude tail-wagging), adding additional weight up front is a quick solution. If it has a rear-mounted spare, you could take it off and toss it on the floor at the front of the trailer.

As to the bearings, ask the seller when they’ve last been done. If it’s within 2-3 years, you’re probably good for a short trip to get home. Do stop and check temperature at 20 and 50 miles during your initial tow. Bring the back of your hand to the hub. They should be warm but not too hot to touch. Dragging brakes can also generate heat. Either way, excessive heat requires immediate attention.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, eco, weight