Recommended Hitch for New Bigfoot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2019 Bigfoot 25 foot rear twin
Maine
Dan, I just checked Amazon and the Fastway e2 2 point hitch 92-00-1000, rated for 10k trailer and 1k tongue weight sells for $358.09 vs the equivalent Equai-i-zer 4 point hitch 90-00-1000 at $546.22. Both include hitch shank which I assume I would need. I believe that these are the ones I would need based on a loaded trailer weight of about 7k and tongue weight just under 1k.
Bob in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #22

Maine
Whoops, I just checked Bruce Olive's actual weights for his trailer and noted that the tongue weight for his 25RQ is over 1,000 lbs and he therefore properly uses the "1,400 lb" 90-00-1400 Equalizer which sells for $684.45 at Amazon! I will definitely be verifying that I am getting the properly spec'd hitch at the dealership regardless of whether it is a Fastway or Equalizer!
Old 01-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #23

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Bob..,.,.some more info I clipped off another forum site

Here’s the bottom line on the differences between the Fastway E2 and the Equal-i-zer hitches. I talked to Todd at Progress Mfg, who sell both the hitches, and he straightened everything out for me. The Equal-i-zer has been manufactured for many years and is considered a top of the line hitch. It is manufactured by Progress Mfg, in Provo, UT, using nothing but the best materials and is considered a heavy duty hitch. The E2 was developed and marketed as a less expensive alternate to the equalizer. It is manufactured outside of the states somewhere and isn’t as heavy duty as the Equal-i-zer. Pulling a smaller trailer, the E2 would probably be fine. I just purchased a 31’ that weighs 6251 dry, I’m gonna get the Equal-i-zer. I'm picking mine up in two weeks from AC Nelson. Sales people seemed helpful, as they should. I'll see how the rest of the experience is.
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #24

Washington
A video comparison of the two...…….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=i-P5y5dYgN4
Old 01-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I tow my 25RQ with a 3/4 ton 8.1 Silverado long bed. Last year, I used weight distribution, but no sway. Didn't have any sway issues at all.

A few years back when I had my 1st Bigfoot, I had a 1/2 ton and I used a Husky Centerline WD and sway control. Loved it! I did make sure my trailer and truck were level and straight. If I were purchasing, I would likely go back to Husky again, although I might take a hard look at Andersen.
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #26

Maine
Thanks again Dan! After talking with Bruce again and finding out that his 25RQ has the additional two foot storage in the front (the "front box option"), I believe that my tongue weight should be well under 1,000 lbs. Therefore at this time I am planning to have the dealer install the 1000 series Equalizer hitch. I like the fact that it is made in the good ole USA and I want to be as safe as possible. As someone else suggested, I plan to add TPS as soon as I get a chance. I have it on my GMC Sierra.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #27

Maine
Thanks to all who replied and provided input! This forum is great and I look forward to participating on it in the future!
Old 01-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #28

Washington
Bob....Forgot to ask, do you have the front box option on your new trailer?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #29

Maine
No, I did not order this one. The dealer apparently ordered it for his inventory and he just got it in earlier this week. It has the following options: A/C, TV antenna, privacy curtain, roll away shower door,shower skylight, Windswept color interior. I like that it is not "loaded" as I would rather add things myself as I determine that I want or need them.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #30

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Maine View Post
The dealer, Trailer World Denver, says that they will have the proper size Equalizer there for me to evaluate and consider as an alternative to the Fastway, but that the Equalizer would cost $300 more installed! They say they sell more Bigfoots than any other dealer in the U.S. and that nearly every Bigfoot they sell is sold with the Fastway e2 hitch and that they have used these for years now with zero negative feedback.

If memory serves me correctly (at my age who knows?? not me!!) Boardman RV was the Bigfoot dealer in Colorado until 2 or 3 years ago. Both what they say about their hitches and their Bigfoot sales may well be true. I really know nothing positive or negative about them. All that I am saying is that I think that they haven't been in the Bigfoot business too long.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:42 PM   #31

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Maine View Post
Good video explaining how the e2 hitch works: https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch
Wow. Every scene in there with a chain-style hitch is like watching the incompetent "before" people in an infomercial. I like the idea of not needing to disconnect the sway bar to reverse. Not so sure about their claim that normal swaybars can't be used in the rain, though.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #32

Washington
Bob, something you might consider. Easy to install. This is the one I have on my trailer. Currently $227 on Amazon with free Prime shipping. A godsend. Getting too old to enjoy hand cranking....lol.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4&&FORM=VRDGAR

A better video...…

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7KxBonnZhvo?rel=0
Old 01-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #33

Maine
Dan, It is my understanding that all Bigfoot trailers now come equipped with power jacks as standard equipment. Their website is confusing and poorly maintained, but look at the "standard equipment" page.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #34

Name: Michael
Nevada
WDH/anti Sway Hitch

We have a 2017 Bigfoot 25RQ with the front storage area. It pulls like a dream with our 2018 Tundra. We have been in very throng crosswinds in Central Nevada and it towed straight.

All that said, I eventually got an Anderson WDH/anti sway hitch. It is different than most because it uses chains instead of bars. I use it when I’m doing long days on the road. It is easy to attach and detach. Additionally, storing the chains is much easier than bars. It is a great setup.
Nvboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #35

Name: Bill
British Columbia
Hitch

We use an equalizer hitch on our 25 rq and it works great. Have fun.
sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #36

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsy View Post
We use an equalizer hitch on our 25 rq and it works great. Have fun.
And how do you know it does?

Walt
Old 01-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #37

Name: Bill
British Columbia
We have been towing for 40 years. Its tje best we have had.
sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #38

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
We've used our Fastway E2 for about 2 1/2 years now and have been very pleased with it
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
And how do you know it does?

Walt

I've towed my Escape 17B two miles down to my RV shop without using WDH, which is how I know mine works and is why I would never leave home without it.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #40

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've towed my Escape 17B two miles down to my RV shop without using WDH, which is how I know mine works and is why I would never leave home without it.
And I towed my Escape 19 to the home of a friend who helped me set up our E2, in very windy conditions. The drive to his house and then the drive back with the E2, there was a world of difference.

So I've never towed without it since then.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, eco