Reese anti-sway hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: Escape
Lawrence
Reese anti-sway hitch

I'm new to RV'ing and pulling trailers. I recently bought a 20 year old Casita Spirit Deluxe and am pulling it with my 2018 Honda Ridgeline. The unit came with the Reese anti-sway hitch.

My question: The hitch is incredibly noisy. Looking at the design, I'm sure the noise is normal when you turn . . . do people generally just put up with the noise, or do some folks selectively tighten the unit down as needed? In other words, do some people leave the hitch a little loose before they get on the highway to make turning in and out of campgrounds, neighborhoods, etc., and then tighten the hitch down as they get on the interstate (or whatever road they're on)?

At city and campground speeds, the anti sway doesn't seem to offer much value. At highway speeds, it clearly would.

Just curious how experienced people tend to use these safety devices.

TIA
R.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Noisy Sway bar

Yes, the sway bar will make noise when you turn.
the bar will get coated with the friction pad material, and needs to be cleaned once-in-a-while. Loosen the clamp and pull out the bar. Give it a good scrubbing with a stiff wire brush. Check the friction pads (like brake shoe stuff). They are probably glazed. use a file or rasp to break the glaze.
Reassemble. and install back on the hitch.
Tighten the clamp, only enough to keep the "tail from wagging the dog"
They also say to loosen it before backing up.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #3

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Yes, the sway bar will make noise when you turn.
the bar will get coated with the friction pad material, and needs to be cleaned once-in-a-while. Loosen the clamp and pull out the bar. Give it a good scrubbing with a stiff wire brush. Check the friction pads (like brake shoe stuff). They are probably glazed. use a file or rasp to break the glaze.
Reassemble. and install back on the hitch.
Tighten the clamp, only enough to keep the "tail from wagging the dog"
They also say to loosen it before backing up.
Our sway bar says to remove it before backing up especially when parking. The trailer does turn very sharply sometimes and that will bend it. We have a habit of getting out to look at campsite and taking bar off.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Exactly what kind of Reese anti sway hitch do you have? there are several different types with the anti-sway built into weight distributing spring bars etc and then there is the anti sway bar which is made differently and work differently.
I have a Reese Mini 350 that has the bars sitting on top of friction pads on the trailer nose and there are types that the bars sit in metal hooks on the side of the trailer frame.
What kind of noise do you hear?
I get some squeaking front the arm pivots and the ball if I have not greased them recently. i also sometimes get some rattles from the hitch loose in the square tube.
So what do you have and what is the noise?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote