repacking wheel bearings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

Name: Connie
Trailer: 1995 16' Scamp Deluxe
Washington
repacking wheel bearings

Am wondering if wheel bearings need to be repacked based on time or miles. I had mine repacked late fall several years ago when I first bought this Scamp. Then it wasn't used due to foot surgeries the last 2 summers. Am getting it ready to go and there is black gunk that has leaked from the center of the wheel down on the wheel. Am suspecting they might need repacking again. After this was done I only drove it about 6 miles from the RV service place to my house.
Connie
Connie Estep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Oil can settle out of grease and create that black streak you see. It can also be a bit of moisture on the grease too. If the facts you state are correct and the wheels haven't been sitting in a bowl of water you will be fine. I would run them as is. If your worried about it, have them checked or repacked, its not worth loosing sleep over.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Name: Stephen
Trailer: NotYet
Ohio
It may not be a bad idea to do a little investigation with your bearing issue.
Since the trailer only traveled six miles after the bearing were repacked.
Then sat for two years.
If possible when you hook up the trailer to move it next time have a friend or two (one on each side) stand by the wheels to listen. If they say the heard a "squeak" from the wheels, I would have someone look at the bearings.
An ounce of medicine (i.e. no problems found) is worth far more than a pound of cure (sitting on the side of a highway far from home with a frozen bearing).

Either way it's your call.
Bye for now.
apfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
EDIT: Just reread the op's post where there is "gunk".... that would be cause for checking them out. Below is just my "general" experience with NO gunk/oil getting out. Two years ago, I pulled the rubber plug on my Dexter and nice, clean grease was there to meet me. Also I adjusted the brakes with NO apparent oil/grease prevalent. That's was the clincher on not pulling my wheels.

Original:
7 yrs on a 13'er with NO repacking. I spin the wheels and listen- got to be able to separate the "brake" scrubbing sound. I do the "play" test from side to side. The bearings still feel perfect. I pull for several miles up to at least 60mph (apx 20 min) then pull over and check the hub temps. I do this when it's cloudy or late evening as the sun can affect the temps. If I'm on a longer trip...after 75 miles or so. If they're normal, I keep trucking.

I know what my hubs felt like from the factory and can always compare....I keep pulling.

Why? Because my trailer is light based on the actual axle capacity so I dont worry about it.

I would have them checked by a professional if you have ANY doubts. What I described on how I do it, I do NOT recommend this for anyone. It's just what I do and believe in and it works. If I was getting ready to travel across the US, I'd do a bearing pull/inspect/replace and/or repack. Most of my trips are under 100 mile hops on back roads. And I never pull over 60-64 mph avg.

Look for "dry rot" on the tires. This almost bit me!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Estep View Post
Am wondering if wheel bearings need to be repacked based on time or miles. I had mine repacked late fall several years ago when I first bought this Scamp. Then it wasn't used due to foot surgeries the last 2 summers. Am getting it ready to go and there is black gunk that has leaked from the center of the wheel down on the wheel. Am suspecting they might need repacking again. After this was done I only drove it about 6 miles from the RV service place to my house.
Connie
There's been a lot of discussion about this lately. Sounds like you need to have them checked. Better to check them and make sure they are not leaking on the brakes than have a major problem. Bearings can go bad sitting and grease can go bad and get hard. People who don't keep up their axles are asking for problems. You can lose a wheel when driving so be safe and have them checked. That was the consenses in the other discussion.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #6

Name: Connie
Trailer: 1995 16' Scamp Deluxe
Washington
repacking wheel bearings

Thanks so much for all your replies. Lots of good information here. The tires were not good when I bought this Scamp and I didn't want to replace them before it sat a winter (and then it was 3 winters!). Anyway I will have the wheel bearings checked when I get my new tires this week. Thanks again!
Connie
Connie Estep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Estep View Post
Thanks so much for all your replies. Lots of good information here. The tires were not good when I bought this Scamp and I didn't want to replace them before it sat a winter (and then it was 3 winters!). Anyway I will have the wheel bearings checked when I get my new tires this week. Thanks again!
Connie
That is an excellent idea. They can repack if needed or put in new bearings if needed. If they say new parts ask to see what is wrong with them. Just act like you know what you are looking at so they don't think they can pull the a fast one on you. It could be the grease has gotten wet or a seal has went bad. Parts go bad from sitting especially seals and rubber hoses.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

Name: judd
Trailer: Vixen 21 SE, Trailmanor 2619
Minnesota
The Best doesn't harden, leak or get old, normal grease doesn't belong in the same room with Lubrication Engineers 3752 LE Almagard Industrial Grease

Lubrication Engineers 3752 LE Almagard Industrial Grease, 14.5 Oz
Foos is offline   Reply With Quote